overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4763   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

turnerm5 (12) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUN 26, 2006
Beautiful pour, though a somewhat disappointing head. Who knows, maybe I just overhyped this beer in my head. Great burned sugar color, traps a lot of light. Earthy aroma, with a lot of malt and fruit packed in there. Sits nicely on the palate, with very little hint of the high alcohol content. The flavor is primarily dark fruits, with more of that malt coming through. As with most Belgians, a bit sweet for my taste, but definitely top beer in its style I’ve had.

asteele8 (322) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - JUN 26, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 12, 2006 Bottle. The pour was beautiful. A nice dark color. Flavor is chocolate, plums, and raisins. A very smooth finish even though the taste is a bit complex. A wonderful beer, the best I have had yet!

bubbleflubber (2231) - Swannanoa, North Carolina, USA - JUN 25, 2006
Deep, dark ruby-brown pour with a decent tan head and lacing. Sweet chocolate malt and confectioner’s sugar to the nose. The flavors scream of plums, raisins, slight chocolate, dates, figs, and currant. A bit of an alcohol finish, but not too harsh. It is complimented by a powdered sugar overtone. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth and bilaterally satiating. This is a great example of a diversely complex beer, without being overbalanced in any way. Truly one of the best brews in the world!

KyleMac5 (17) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUN 25, 2006
Very dark with a frothy head that sits nicely atop the beer. Has incredible flavor and palate that is smooth and tastes of fig and fruit. It’s slightly sweet with a undertones of molasses. Among the best beers.

edfitz (118) - Toledo, Ohio, USA - JUN 23, 2006
Excellent. Dark brown color. Definate plum taste, but not overpowering. I was worried it would be too sweet fot my taste, but I really enjoyed it
Earlier Rating: 6/23/2006 Total Score: 4.5
Excellent beer. I was afraid I would find it to be too sweet for my taste, but it was perfect. There is a definate plum taste to it, not overpowering though. Very pleased with this beer.

hophead75 (2012) - Largo, Florida, USA - JUN 22, 2006
11.2 oz. very dark brown with a long lasting off white head. Aroma is dark fruit, light chocolate and dark malts. Taste is very complex as I expected it to be, with dark fruits, earthy, lots of yeast flavor, very smooth on the palate but full bodied. Alcohol almost seems non existent.

sanmiguel (118) - Illinois, USA - JUN 20, 2006
Bottled. Pours a dark caramel body. Strong dark, slightly burnt chocolate/coffee flavor with hints of spicy hints. Nice caramel finish. Clearly one of the best beers I’ve ever had! Goodbye lagers!

zombywoof (467) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - JUN 19, 2006
UPDATED: APR 21, 2014 Very pronounced nose of raisens, figs, banana and peach ,very little alchohol aroma. Mildly sweet and spicy. Soft mouthfeel punctuated with brisk short carbonation. Complex palate alternates between dry and sweet lots of earthy spicy ,woody and carmelized fruit notes. Yummy. Goes great with a CAO Corilla. One of the most interesting brews I’ve had-it lives up to the hype.

Louipa (121) - USA - JUN 17, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2006 This is a very complex beer, and I cannot put my finger on the various flavors in my mouth. It is the god beer...you will drink it....you must obey... But for real, its good stuff.

iowaherkeye (2703) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - JUN 17, 2006
11.2oz bottle, 21 12 10 is printed on the bottle (maybe the best by date?). Had this one time @ the Royal Mile in Des Moines (and was delicious), and am gonna have it again. Pours a dark brown with a small tan head into my Chimay chalice. Aroma of bananas, yeast, spices, fruity brown sugar, ripe raisins. Very sweet tasting up front, adding oak and/or bourbon to the mix. Bananas show up in the aftertaste. Bitterness is noted 2/3 through until the end, though it seems to alternate between sips--sometimes bitter and dry, sometimes sweet and dry. creamy mouthfeel despite the sharp carbonation. . Alcohol is evident though not harsh. A very different and good beer. I’ll have to run to Dirty John’s and rerate this one, because I know it’s good and I like it, but I just don’t know how good it is and how much I like it. For now, a 4.0 rating will have to do.