overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 4815   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - MAR 17, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 18, 2004 Light brown, slighlty diminishing head. Dark copper brown appearance with lots of yeasties floating around. Sweet aroma, although weaker than I thought it would be. Very sweet flavor with hints of toffee, brown sugar. Estery. Absolutely delicious. Similar to the Westvleteren I had a few months ago. The two are almost indistinguishable to me. Alcohol lets its presence be known, but its very nicely masked for 11%+. Perfect on the palate. I guess I’m lucky in only having to pay $6.95 (US dollars) compared to what I see others have paid, but still expensive enough to only buy on special occasions (this was my birthday present from Me to Me, I need to do this more often..Valentines, labor day, groundhog day, kwanza, etc...)

maestro (36) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - MAR 16, 2002
Simply remarkable. This was the finest drinking experience that I have ever had. I tracked down some of the 10 and am now trying to find more. Rich, dark and with a flavour that gives no hint of the high alcohol level at all, this must be the finest ale there is.

PCal99 (4) - San Marcos, California, USA - MAR 12, 2002 does not count
Best beer I have ever had! Tried it at a Belgian Beer Festival this past week. I know why everyone wanted a sample once the bottle was opened

JohnC (3008) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - MAR 11, 2002
Wonderful stuff. had it for the 1st time at pizzaport's Belgian beer fest. Since #10 wasn't freely available for tasting, when they opened a bottle, everyone wanted some. They were right. i'd drink this anytime

davidyoung9899 (3) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAR 11, 2002 does not count
This is the only beer that even comes close to being as good as Scottish ale for me. Definitley not to be missed.

wheatbeerboy (103) - Addison, Illinois, USA - MAR 8, 2002
Very smooth tasting beer even though I could taste a lot of alcohol. (11.3%, go figure) I drank this beer cool, not cold as the beer label recommended. (54F-58F)
This was a good beer but not as good as I expected it to be. I never really was a big fan of Belgian Beers, and after drinking this 'hyped' beer my conclusions still remain the same. I also thought it was way over-priced at $7.60 a bottle.

chrislouvion (6) - California, USA - MAR 7, 2002 does not count
.................... .................. ........

mutant (854) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - FEB 28, 2002
Huge chocolate malt aroma. Opaque dark brown body with big persistant beige head. Hey, this really does taste like an alcoholic, fruity chocolate malted milk. Aftertaste is of sweet malty wine and short bitterness. This must be the ambrosia of heaven. If I could afford it, I would live on it. I am not worthy. Thanks Duff

hophead1962 (11) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 25, 2002
Awesone, full flavor nutty(?). If this is a quad style, it doesn't have that port flavor like some. Excellent.

Caton (160) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - FEB 15, 2002
This is a beer with balls that makes you sit up and say HELLO!. This is my fav so far but i still havent had the westvleteren. The palate is dense with chocolate and fruit and a hint of spice. A great winter warmer.