overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 5213   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

Sigmund (7224) - Tau, NORWAY - AUG 14, 2003
(330 ml bottle). Pours with an enormous and thick light tan head, beer is cloudy, very dark brown colour. Heavenly complex aroma: oak, port wine, dried fruit and spices. 10 points for aroma is not enough! Flavour is complex, spicy and oaky - toffee sweetness is well balanced with hops. Warming mouthfeel, otherwise the high ABV is well hidden. Long lasting aftertaste. Can't find any faults with the beer - therefore a straight 5.0. Does that imply that any "perfect" beer has to be as strong as Rochefort 10? Certainly not - but in the strong division, this one is in the lead, at least untill I have sampled Westvleteren... (But the price in Norway is outrageous: USD 9 for a small bottle - in the store!)

roomtempbeer (185) - Franklin, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 1, 2003
Available!! Bottle is dated 26-08-08. Beer pours (in Chimay glass) a dark brown (with red), somewhat black liquid with a generous amount of off-white head that dissipates a little, and lingers. Aroma is of sweet fruit with sour apples. Flavor is... so powerfully complex that my description would mean little. When I drink this again, I'll try to add more. Amazingly, no alcohol is detected in the flavor. Alcohol only noted by a warm belly and sometimes a throat burn. There is a plum/prune/raisin ending. Wonderful. Magnificant. Better than Chimay Blue. I am literally saddened to see my bottle go empty. This beer deserves every score it is given. Top beer IMHO. Sampled at 67 degrees Fahrenheit.

Boutip (6208) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 26, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 19, 2005 Poured a dark brew with a nice foamy white head with excellent retention time. Complex aroma of spice and roastiness arose from my glass. Taste of spice is complex and alcohol taste is subtle which is great achievement at 11.3%. Body if full and support well the mix of spice from this beer. Always great to review a trappist beer when they are so perfect as this one clearly is. Wow!!! Re-rate September 2005: I noticed more notes of apricot and peach this time around with still no alcohol showing. I cant see this improving anymore...

WitchKing (7) - FRANCE - JAN 16, 2004 does not count
Extremely complex and yet strangely enjoyable. The first sip will make you understand this. You'll taste a unique flavor that has many different wereabouts, among them fruits, spices and a tip of acid. Yet, it is immediatly identifiable and even if it is a strong beer, it is not ruined by the taste of alcohol. The color is also wonderful, a rich dark brown that won't leave you careless. Very well balanced beer, a real must-drink!

scottk (8) - Norwalk, Connecticut, USA - FEB 3, 2004 does not count
The finest brew I have ever tasted. Aroma is raisons, plums, and other fruit. There are a number of tastes that change throughout the tasting experience. The aftertaste is huge, wonderful and long lasting. I can't wait for my next one.

Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - FEB 15, 2004
Had this at Bethlehem Brewworks in Bethlehem, PA a while ago...ten dollars a bottle but it was worth it. Don't really know what to say about it, except it was godly. The best I have ever had in my life.

mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - FEB 20, 2004
I love this beer but at $8 bucks a bottle am not able to drink it as much as I want. I definatly think this has one of the best colors (almost ruby), and best complex scents I have ever smelt. The taste is great with a real quick but none of the wine-vodka flavor of some other trappists. I defintly taste all of the fruits they mention. If anyone from the brewery reads this please drop your price. It is fantastic.

emotv (353) - Izmir, TURKEY - JUL 21, 2004
The best beer I ever tasted since this day.Very nice scent.Heaven mouthfeel.Candy taste.I will change my religion after i drink this.

Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - JUL 30, 2004
UPDATED: APR 21, 2005 Bottle, Ciros, Toronto. Dark brown / purple colour. Fantastic aroma, lots of spice, plum, and slight alcohol. Very little head on the pour in a nice trappist style glass. Mouthfeel was a little disappointing in that it was thinner than the appearance suggested, but still it was complex without being syrupy. Lots more spice and warm alcohol in the taste - I couldnt really describe it, but I knew it seemed well balanced and quite agreeable. This beer got better as it warmed as well - the flavours were less intense, but by the end, I couldnt identify the 11% alcohol level. A nice experience with good company. Re-rate April 20 05. Acquired a bottle in a trade with Mustang3. My initial rating of this was when I was still at a pretty infant stage as far as trying new styles were concerned. The bottle I had last night absolutely blew me away in a way no beer has. The appearance of this beer was quite different, as I was in my well-lit living room and not a dark enjoyable bar. It was very dark brown with red hues and a murkiness that looked fantastic. Small tan head. The aroma was amazing - fresh hops, sweet malt, a little spice and some alcohol - Ive never wanted to try a beer based on its aroma before so bad in my life. The mouthfeel was also very unique - full-bodied, yet really frothy - this is where I encountered the biggest difference in my 2 ratings. The taste was of rich malt, a well-balanced bitterness and the alcohol was incredibly restrained. There was almost a sweet rum like quality to this beer. I have not done it justice, but this was without question the best beer I have ever tried.

jcc83 (137) - Athens, Georgia, USA - AUG 2, 2004
I really dont know what to say. Never have I tasted anything like this. In the glass it was a delicious dark brown with a generous creamy white head and lots of suspended yeasty solids. The aroma and flavor were indescribable, but Ill do my best. The nose was a rich complex aroma of cinnamon, raisin, apple, and dark fruit, blended with a overriding sweet floral perfume. The ensuing flavor mirrored much of the aroma, with complex frutiness and a lightly-roasted maltiness openning into a fragrant rose-garden nectar sensation, then finally finishing in a twinge of sharp alcohol. The liquid was thick and full in my mouth, truly like nectar. I am totally amazed. Being a relatively new and inexperienced beer afficianado, I didnt realize that beer like this exists. It is quite an epiphany, shaking the foundation of my knowledge of beer. I feel now that this pushes all my other ratings out of proportion; they should all be lower to make room for this beer and some of its trappist cousins that I have yet to try. Monks, I salute you. And also, BIG thanks to mjgdawg, who finally found this beer and grabbed a bottle for me.