overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 3753   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07/5   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
The lower gravity cousin to Rochefort 10. Nicknamed "Spéciale" (’The Special’), this beer is the most recent production. The Rochefort 8 has a more tawny colour and a more pronounced aroma, with an even richer fruitiness (a slight undertone of fig?) and a little more spiced dryness, like that of a cake, which gives a balanced finish to the final notes.

cgort (56) - San Clemente, California, USA - MAR 15, 2008
Big beer. Pours a cloudy brown color. Hints of apple cider and fruity yeast. Taste of creme cherry soda and yeast with a heavy wine characteristic and a slight earthy tone to it. The body is medium and thinner than expected with lively carbonation. Overall a good beer. Maybe not for everyday but definitely special.

rbridges01 (2) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - MAR 15, 2008 does not count
Poured into a snifter. Dark cloudy brown with nice amount of bubles. About 3/16 inch of head that stays throughout the tasting. Nice legs on the glass.Malt aroma, some fruit, but full bodied malt flavor and very nice finish. Very nice beer for $4.99 a bottle.

Codythegreat (149) - Carrollton, Georgia, USA - MAR 12, 2008
Pours a very dark brown (murky I guess) with a heavy light tan head. Lot’s of bubbles. I was a little worried at first because I’ve been striking out with every Belgian Strong Ale I’ve had after the Chimay Grand Reserve (which is tied for my favorite) but this one is really good. I’m glad I bought it. Hop flavor is low. I can’t smell very many hops either. Very well balanced overall. This is better than the $40 bottle of Scaldis Prestige I had. I drank this out of a tumbler.

JohnQPublic (387) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - MAR 11, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 27, 2009 Bottle. Pours murky dark reddish brown, with big, quick disappearing head. Sweet aroma of malt, fresh bread, some dark fruit. Full bodied, big maltiness with hints of sweet fruit -- figs? Finish is all malt, bready, yeasty. Palate is big and sticky. Delicious beer.

webjedi (250) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - MAR 9, 2008
Pours a ruddy clear brown, copper tinge, with a medium, but quickly dissipating head. Very, very sour on the nose, as if it was apple/cherry. Very thin and bubbly on the tongue, with very minor residual sourness initially picked up on scent (mainly in the rear center of tongue). A little yeast is detected (probably due to my poor pour). But, generally, very, very good, and it’s packed a sneak-up wallop. I’ve had this aging in my fridge for two years... yum (Bottle Pour 3/9/2008)

Imperial-John (192) - Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 8, 2008
L180412, Candy aroma. Brown with nice beige head. Vanilla candy is first thing that comes to mind, banana as well. Very well blended, like an alcoholic desert. Leaves mouth full of wonderful taste that lasts.

tnkw01 (1753) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 7, 2008
Bottle. This is an excellent beer. Actually ranks right behind it’s big brother. The sour after taste did cause me to lower my score a bit. Otherwise, great beer.

greedycheater (80) - Oklahoma, USA - MAR 5, 2008
Pours dark brown and murky with lots of sediment and a persistent head with thick lacing, a little brown yeast in the middle...(?) An aroma of fresh bread with some malt. Malty rye taste with a slight hint of raisin and grapes. Distinctive Belgian sweetness. Full-bodied mouthfeel with a lingering palate and sticky aftertaste. A fine ale, perhaps too much activity in the glass for most though.

IPAGargoyleGuy (140) - Troy, NY, New York, USA - MAR 5, 2008
Very light and soft for its high alc content. I could have done without the slight sourness at the end, but otherwise an excellent Belgian Strong Ale.

abcfan (920) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 2, 2008
Pours a nice brown color with tan head. Aroma is very yeasty. Tastes of chocolate and fruits. Decent beer, but not as good as I was expecting.