overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 3675   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07/5   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
The lower gravity cousin to Rochefort 10. Nicknamed "Spciale" (The Special), this beer is the most recent production. The Rochefort 8 has a more tawny colour and a more pronounced aroma, with an even richer fruitiness (a slight undertone of fig?) and a little more spiced dryness, like that of a cake, which gives a balanced finish to the final notes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
keith0718 (434) - Kansas, USA - MAR 26, 2007
Has a different, fizzy kind of palate, but unlike the overcarbonated palate of macro-beer. Unique taste; not quite as good as the 10, but very good nonetheless.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hapjydeuce (999) - Carlsbad, California, USA - MAR 25, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2008 Always one of my go-tos while roaming around BevMo. Pours murky brown with some red tint and always a guaranteed thick and bubbly head. Aroma is a nice combination of caramel malt, toasty Belgian yeast, raisin, plum and candy sugar. Sweet and dry flavor is a mix of cherry chocolate, light toffee, dark fruits (with prominent raisin), and banana. Nice numbing mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. Hand me the bigger 10 anyday!

vonderbrink (95) - Concord, California, USA - MAR 23, 2007
Bottle: Dark brown color. Nice tan head. Chocolate and coffee aroma. Goes down smooth, with a little hint of the alcohol Nice finish.

mrdeath5493 (113) - Arkansas, USA - MAR 22, 2007
This was an excellent beer. I tasted it head to head with the 10. The result is I enjoyed the 10 much, much better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
thefederalist (307) - Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA - MAR 21, 2007
Wow! Pours dark brown, nice head. Aroma explodes with complexities - raisins, raspberries, toffee, alcohol, you name it. Flavor is amazingly complex, especially as it warms. Slightly sweet on the onset, but the finish is dry and complex. Amazing, world class beer. I actually liked it better than the 10.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - MAR 19, 2007
Enjoyed during the 3rd annual St. Pats day celebration. The last of my ratings for the evening. Too bad, as there were other strong ales I wanted to rate. This is not my best review but adequate. Pours hazy ruby color with a wispy head. Light plum-date aroma with hints of candy. Seemed a bit light at the time. The flavor is about what I expected but lessened in enjoyment by what I felt was a watery body. The flavor had light banana, caramel, candy and spice. Enjoyable, but not the powerhouse I expected.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
holdenn (2110) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 17, 2007
11.2 oz bottle sampled at "Better Know a Style: Belgian Strong Ale" Blind Tasting 07. Hazy red brown in color, tiny particles floating around under a velvety bubbled beige head that laces all the way down. Moderately malty aroma, toasted, molasses, chocolate, flowers, grape, cherry, oak, smoke, brown sugar, and vanilla. Creamy texture, light to medium bodied. Lightly sweet, brown sugar, molasses, chocolate, strawberries, oak and too much alcohol. Not a bad beer, but for all that alcohol, I need some more malt

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BigBeer45 (1454) - Michigan, USA - MAR 17, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2007 The ale bubbled in the bottle when I popped the cap, poured dark brown with a tan head, I do not think this beer looks that great, it is murky brown, like a dirty apple cider, faint leather smell that quickly left, fragrances of caramel, dried fruit and sweet wine, dark malt and sweet cream fragrances, there is a cellar wood aroma mixed in with these fragrances, raisins, vanilla and brown sugar fragrances, dark malt and sweet malt flavor, hint of the alcohol is there, I did not taste the alcohol but I feel it on my tongue, it is hidden well, faint caramel, coffee and dark bread flavors, dry on the palate, this was a nice brew, I do not think I appreciate this as much as I should, I will try again sometime.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
acearl (509) - The Ham, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 15, 2007
Long lasting light brown head, medium brown murky hue, soft carbonation, a little watery or light for a strong belgium, alcoholic aroma but very drinkable, grainy malt, a hints of banana and brown sugar, moderately hoppy and sweet to leathery yeast, long bitter finish. Complex and most excellent. I enjoyed it more than the 10 from what I can remember.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
BustedFlat (554) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - MAR 13, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2007 Poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass, a murky, rusty brown with a large tan head. The aroma has notes of dark fruit and malt. The taste is much the same with a touch of spice and some red grapes. Good carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden.