overall
Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Rochefort, Belgium

RATINGS: 3648   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07/5   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
The lower gravity cousin to Rochefort 10. Nicknamed "Spéciale" (’The Special’), this beer is the most recent production. The Rochefort 8 has a more tawny colour and a more pronounced aroma, with an even richer fruitiness (a slight undertone of fig?) and a little more spiced dryness, like that of a cake, which gives a balanced finish to the final notes.

holdenn (2127) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 17, 2007
11.2 oz bottle sampled at "Better Know a Style: Belgian Strong Ale" Blind Tasting 07. Hazy red brown in color, tiny particles floating around under a velvety bubbled beige head that laces all the way down. Moderately malty aroma, toasted, molasses, chocolate, flowers, grape, cherry, oak, smoke, brown sugar, and vanilla. Creamy texture, light to medium bodied. Lightly sweet, brown sugar, molasses, chocolate, strawberries, oak and too much alcohol. Not a bad beer, but for all that alcohol, I need some more malt

BigBeer45 (1565) - Michigan, USA - MAR 17, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2007 The ale bubbled in the bottle when I popped the cap, poured dark brown with a tan head, I do not think this beer looks that great, it is murky brown, like a dirty apple cider, faint leather smell that quickly left, fragrances of caramel, dried fruit and sweet wine, dark malt and sweet cream fragrances, there is a cellar wood aroma mixed in with these fragrances, raisins, vanilla and brown sugar fragrances, dark malt and sweet malt flavor, hint of the alcohol is there, I did not taste the alcohol but I feel it on my tongue, it is hidden well, faint caramel, coffee and dark bread flavors, dry on the palate, this was a nice brew, I do not think I appreciate this as much as I should, I will try again sometime.

acearl (510) - The Ham, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 15, 2007
Long lasting light brown head, medium brown murky hue, soft carbonation, a little watery or light for a strong belgium, alcoholic aroma but very drinkable, grainy malt, a hints of banana and brown sugar, moderately hoppy and sweet to leathery yeast, long bitter finish. Complex and most excellent. I enjoyed it more than the 10 from what I can remember.

BustedFlat (554) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - MAR 13, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 29, 2007 Poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass, a murky, rusty brown with a large tan head. The aroma has notes of dark fruit and malt. The taste is much the same with a touch of spice and some red grapes. Good carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden.

johnnydollar (35) - greenville, South Carolina, USA - MAR 13, 2007
God bless! what a kick-ass beer! strong carbonation but not much head. the nose is faint banana and alcohol. the flavor is bready/butterscotch/heaven. i’m getting drunk..

Maverick34 (3305) - New York, USA - MAR 13, 2007
Bottle. Pours dark brown with good head. Aroma/taste was a little to lemony/alcoholy for me. I preferred the 10.

Beffrey2 (38) - Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA - MAR 11, 2007
Dark murky brown color. Head is foamy and white, with hints of yeast?? in the head. The taste is dominated by caramel, butterscotch, candy, and alcohol. There might have been a hint of cinnamon, but not positive. What is weird is this beer had a stronger aftertaste of alcohol than did the 10. Yet the 10 has a higher alcohol content. Good beer, but the 10 is superior.

nramsburg (259) - New York, New York, USA - MAR 11, 2007
I love the aroma of this beer. Reminds me of a zinfandel crossed with a sancere/chardonnay. Dark fruits with breadiness, but a good bit of hoppiness to balance out any sweetness. Let me emphasize how exceedingly well balanced this beer is. If the 10 is better than this, then I’m in for a treat -- this is the best beer I’ve had to date (though I’m a fairly inexperienced beer drinker).

JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - MAR 10, 2007
Clear chesnut color with a loose white head. Sweet, fresh fruity/bready yeast aromas, some spice, pear, a hint of nuttiness. Mouthfeel is extremely smooth. The taste is a balanced blend of dark spice and fruity Belgian yeast and malt. This beer is remarkable in that it’s mouthfeel is so smooth and low-key for a 9.2% beer, and there is little alcohol detectable tastewise. Excellent.

joe19612 (3074) - camberley, Surrey, ENGLAND - MAR 9, 2007
Botte. Good dark brown colour, with a good white head. Very good aroma, suoper taste with a good finish. a fine beer.