overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 524   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Extra-fermented beer with a fruity bouquet and a sharp, sweet and sour flavor. Matured for two years in oak casks.

hagar (4) - Den Helder, NETHERLANDS - JAN 6, 2006 does not count
This one is really special to me because I bought the last ones at the brewary itself... in 1999 !!!! I still have 4 bottles left and the temperaturelimit for it is 35 degrees Celcius. otherwise there gone in one day. PERFECT. Hope to see that brewary is producing it again.

mkgrenwel (606) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 23, 2006
Shortly after my first taste of Rodenbach Grand Cru, I learned about the [former] existence of this beer, believing that I would never get the chance to taste it. I couldnt be happier to be wrong, thanks to Eyedrinkale. I did my best to supply him with reasonable compensation for this bottle, but Im afraid I fell far short. Starting with appearance, this is dark red/brown and cloudy. A thick layer of yeast stuck at the bottom of the bottle, refusing to budge. The aroma is fantastically sweet and sour; cherries, oak and perhaps vinegar. The flavor is oak, cherries, strawberries and smooth vanilla. It is fantastically tart and sour. The woody/tannic/vinous quality is the best I have ever experienced. Usually, this has a bad connotation, but here it is entirely enjoyable. It is not sweet, but not entirely dry. Light carbonation gives way to a lush, velvety smooth texture. Perfection. Im not sure when it will fully sink in that I will probably never get to experience this beer again. Hopefully, Im proven wrong a second time.

mwsf (360) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAR 14, 2007
92 vintage from De Heeren van Liedekercke. This has held up exceptionally well. I expected much more acetic flavor. After 15 years, its still quite sweet. Wonderful interplay between sweet and sour. Very smooth, much more so than the 98. Something in the aroma that I cant quite place, similar to vanilla. Very good carbonation. Crystal clear. 7,50! Cheap!!

dwyerpg (5745) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 20, 2007
A light, subtly cherry aroma. This is amazing. Just amazing. Sweet cherries, slightly coating, flavor is just top notch. Not too frutiy, just wonderful.

hagar70 (5) - Den Helder, NETHERLANDS - OCT 5, 2007 does not count
UPDATED: FEB 19, 2016 One of my personal favourites beer ever !!! They stopped brewing it... I only drink one if the tempature is above 30 degrees Celcius in Den Helder (The Netherlands)... I still have 2...

DonMagi (5593) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - MAR 9, 2009
Bottle at de heren(or however you speel it) BBF 1995. Aroma is sweet very attractive tartness, fruity, the age is subtle and delicate, the sherry is infinitly awsome, its just like a beer you could nose for ever. The taste is like sweet and sour sex, its possibly the most drinkable thing to have ever massed my lips, the fruity sweetness with the age and the balanced sourness make it quite simply ione of the best things iv ever drank. A masterpiece.

RodeaGueuze (11) - - JUL 20, 2016
1986 vintage: Color: a red-tinged copper. Smell: sourly sweet, pleasing. Taste: One of the best beers I have had. Nice sour cherry that strengthens as it warms. Not astringent. This could be drunk all day on a hot summer day. The new version tastes nothing like the old. The new 2016 is a completely different beer. It doesnt hold up to the old version. I dont know why they are being rated together.

Antoine007 (9) - lyon, FRANCE - JUL 31, 2016 does not count
Rodenbach, Alexander was a blendes Flanders "foederbier" (aged in giant oak tanks) macerated with sour cherries and it was considered extraordinary. Its complex, vinegary tartness was complemented by a malty, red-ale backbone and hints of almond from the cherry pits.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
FlemishChar (224) - Virginia, USA - SEP 9, 2001
Oh my god, this beer is unbelievable.. Tart and tangy, with the flavor of very sour cherries.. The uninitiated might think this is some kind of cherry wine.. As the label says, the ultimate dessert beer. Aroma is strong but only hints at the overpowering tartness of the taste. Please, Rodenbach.. dont take this beer away from us!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - JAN 13, 2006
#1000. Bottles provided by JCW and EDA. Disclaimer: I cant do this beer justice in a review, should have employed one of the great writers on the site. Dirty reddish/brown with a few bubbles here and there. Very oily, coats the glass. Initial aroma has a huge vinegar kick, but in a good way. As it warms, fades into a nice sour cherry, with woodsy tannic notes. Mouth puckering to say the least. Initial flavor sour cherries with lots of wood, light vinegar. Finishes sweet and sour, mouth puckering, leaves you salivating for more. One of the few beers I could drink anytime, anywhere, well if it was available anyway.