overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 796   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Rodenbach Alexander was brewed for the first time in 1986 on the occasion of Alexander Rodenbach’s 200th birthday and is now back by popular demand to the delight of beer lovers in Belgium and abroad. It is a blend of 2/3rd aged Rodenbach (100% 2 year aged beer) with 1/3rd younger ale, macerated with sour cherries. The natural flavour and taste of sour cherries brings a perfect match between the sour beer and the red fruit. Its aftertaste is reminiscent of a Burgundy wine and its freshness makes this beer the perfect aperitif or accompaniment to cheeses or dessert. Note: The 2016 version has the abv of 5.6%

hagar (4) - Den Helder, NETHERLANDS - JAN 6, 2006 does not count
This one is really special to me because I bought the last ones at the brewary itself... in 1999 !!!! I still have 4 bottles left and the temperaturelimit for it is 35 degrees Celcius. otherwise there gone in one day. PERFECT. Hope to see that brewary is producing it again.

mkgrenwel (619) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 23, 2006
Shortly after my first taste of Rodenbach Grand Cru, I learned about the [former] existence of this beer, believing that I would never get the chance to taste it. I couldn’t be happier to be wrong, thanks to Eyedrinkale. I did my best to supply him with reasonable compensation for this bottle, but I’m afraid I fell far short. Starting with appearance, this is dark red/brown and cloudy. A thick layer of yeast stuck at the bottom of the bottle, refusing to budge. The aroma is fantastically sweet and sour; cherries, oak and perhaps vinegar. The flavor is oak, cherries, strawberries and smooth vanilla. It is fantastically tart and sour. The woody/tannic/vinous quality is the best I have ever experienced. Usually, this has a bad connotation, but here it is entirely enjoyable. It is not sweet, but not entirely dry. Light carbonation gives way to a lush, velvety smooth texture. Perfection. I’m not sure when it will fully sink in that I will probably never get to experience this beer again. Hopefully, I’m proven wrong a second time.

mwsf (361) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAR 14, 2007
’92 vintage from De Heeren van Liedekercke. This has held up exceptionally well. I expected much more acetic flavor. After 15 years, it’s still quite sweet. Wonderful interplay between sweet and sour. Very smooth, much more so than the ’98. Something in the aroma that I can’t quite place, similar to vanilla. Very good carbonation. Crystal clear. 7,50€! Cheap!!

dwyerpg (6413) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 20, 2007
A light, subtly cherry aroma. This is amazing. Just amazing. Sweet cherries, slightly coating, flavor is just top notch. Not too frutiy, just wonderful.

DonMagi (5593) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - MAR 9, 2009
Bottle at de heren(or however you speel it) BBF 1995. Aroma is sweet very attractive tartness, fruity, the age is subtle and delicate, the sherry is infinitly awsome, its just like a beer you could nose for ever. The taste is like sweet and sour sex, its possibly the most drinkable thing to have ever massed my lips, the fruity sweetness with the age and the balanced sourness make it quite simply ione of the best things iv ever drank. A masterpiece.

RodeaGueuze (11) - - JUL 20, 2016
1986 vintage: Color: a red-tinged copper. Smell: sourly sweet, pleasing. Taste: One of the best beers I have had. Nice sour cherry that strengthens as it warms. Not astringent. This could be drunk all day on a hot summer day. The new version tastes nothing like the old. The new 2016 is a completely different beer. It doesn’t hold up to the old version. I don’t know why they are being rated together.

Antoine007 (10) - lyon, FRANCE - JUL 31, 2016
Rodenbach, Alexander was a blendes Flanders "foederbier" (aged in giant oak tanks) macerated with sour cherries and it was considered extraordinary. Its complex, vinegary tartness was complemented by a malty, red-ale backbone and hints of almond from the cherry pits.

lb1503 (1) - - JUN 30, 2017 does not count
I am probably prejudice for this beer. When I become of drinking age, this was my beer. I have waited years to taste this beer again. It still tastes like in my dreams A mixture of a classic lambic based sour cherry beer but on the base of Rodenbach. Heavenly.