overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2720   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dogfish120love (1305) - Westfield, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 18, 2008
Due date marked on bottle said best if drank by june 08 yet here we are in november and I will still give it a whirl.Pours brown with a redish tint and ice tea like murkyness. The head is thin and disapates quickly. Smell: Charecteristics of wine and a pungent acidic aroma fill the nostrills. The smell of cork is also very present in the beer. Slight scent of honey and grapes. Taste: The taste is wine like in many qualities with an acidic almost stringent nature. Grapes and honey are many of the subtle notes that I am experiencing while drinking this brew. I can’t help but note that this remind me off some kind of juice drink I drank as a child, yet I cannot put my finger on it. The taste of apple is also prominant upon finnish. The mouthfeel is slightly astringent yet delectable, viniger like element also play a part in the mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ketchepillar (1195) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - OCT 30, 2008
Aroma: vinegar, raisins, raspberry, cranberry, vinous. Flavor: raspberry, cherries, cranberry. Somewhat wine-like. Moderately sour, more tart. A bit too harsh.

hillfiiiiire (323) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 30, 2008
Pours dark brown with a nice creamy head. Sweet sour cherry aroma. Delicious flavor that’s very sharply acidic cherries that a little woodiness. Not as funky as some sours, La Folie for example, but very well done.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dnlsartin (80) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 24, 2008
Brown, cranberry appearance with minimal, consistent head. Somewhat heavy. Raspberry, grapefruit, vinegar, and acidic sour. Tannins from oak aging. A fun, festive drink that gets more enjoyable and desirable with each sip.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 11/20
ajwilliams (132) - , Indiana, USA - OCT 22, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2008 I understand that this is a well-made, well-respected beer, but I didnt like it very much. That is just my personal opinion, but I like my beer to be beer, not wine. That said, the aroma and appearance are very appealing and the overall experience is certainly original. I just wont do it again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MitchWayne (263) - Kokkola, FINLAND - OCT 22, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2009 Cherry on the nose along with oaky notes and sourness. The taste is sour with sweet malt in the background, cherries and wood. Sharp as a razor but very balanced, refreshing and very unique.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ajm (1072) - Los Angeles, California, USA - OCT 19, 2008
Tap during my inaugural trip to Blue Palms. A nice deep red/brown/violet with thin head. An uncanny replicant of a grape Popcicle or Alexander the Grape Otter Pop in the aroma. This ushers in a flavor that is somewhat more fortified than Ommegang Rouge, but definitely in that vein. Grape, pineapple, unripe peach and green apple which is all nicely balanced. A standard for a reason.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
502Che (999) - @, CAMBODIA - OCT 14, 2008
Appearance (4 /5): dark ass reddish brown, minimal light tan head that fades pretty quickly. Aroma (8/10): great sourness with a bit of vinegar quality to it (which I dont like) notes of vanilla, oak, sour cherries, citrus, lemon, yeast, earthiness, etc. Flavor (7/10): Very solid sour flavor a bit of vinegar quality upfront that fades into a sweet fruitiness that fades again into a medium dry tart oaky finish. (Addition after getting near end of bottle, this beer is really flavorful and complex, almost overwhelmingly so. This is a sour I couldnt have more than one of in a night. The finish is long and has a serious barnyard funk to it that exhibits a flavor so reminiscent of something that I cant manage to put my finger on. This finish is what makes the brew a bit overwhelming for me, causing me to retract a point. Still good though). Palate (4/5): A lot heavier body than I anticipated medium to heavy body with active fine carbonation. Overall (16/20): Really good sour, would be nearer to 9s and 10s on aroma and flavor without that trace amount of vinegar in there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MMortier (11) - Ghent, BELGIUM - OCT 14, 2008
With all its fame, and with all the grandour of its brewery, this beer somehow manages to be one of the most special in the world. The definite flemish sour ale, don’t believe any rumours that say otherwise. Truth be told, each bottle tastes a bit differently. And if you have the choice, go for the big ones. I once drank a 75cl bottle that made me cry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
masonjer (609) - Holt, Michigan, USA - OCT 13, 2008
Zeeland 08’ tasting. How I have not tried this yet is beyond me. Good to finally get a chance at it. Pours a cloudy red/brown color. Aroma is funk and sweet malt. Taste is sweet and sour cherry that play off each other very well. Effortless to drink and a really nice example of the style. Great starter sour, and really enjoyable even after you are a sour addict.