overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2683   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

daknole (11049) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - DEC 7, 2008
Bottle from Crown. Pours a nice dark reddish color with a thin light head. Aroma is full of sour cherries, vinegar, funk, and some sour apples as well. Flavor is full of tart cherries, apples, vinegar and some yeasty background notes. This sour I liked but couldnt drink too much.

trevor211 (1681) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 3, 2008
UPDATED: APR 7, 2017 I almost instantly fell in love with this one. Pours far darker than I expected – a murky reddish brown, with a lingering head. The aroma is of tart black cherries and apple cider, with a bit of citrus and some barnyard funk. The flavor is far more tart than the aroma, bringing citrus and cranberries into the mix, and bringing to mind a deeper, more complex version of a good gueuze. Take a base of the Girardin gueuze, and add some Duchesse de Bourgogne, and you’d be close. This is simply delicious – I won’t go quite as far as our barkeep, who said he wanted to bathe in it, but I could easily drink this all night long. A near-perfect sour. UPDATE: Fairly sure I was six or seven deep when I rated this one the first time, and it was the first time I’d ever seen it. Its ubiquity has allowed many more samples, and while I do love the brew, I’ve grown to find it a bit cloying. The deep cidery character, while certainly true to the style, is a little more than I want more than a snifter of. Knocking a few points off.

fidel (1302) - Livermore, California, USA - DEC 1, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2009 Dark amber, tart, sour, granny smith apple, dark fruits, little wood, little nutty, little vanilla.

dogfish120love (1335) - Westfield, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 18, 2008
Due date marked on bottle said best if drank by june 08 yet here we are in november and I will still give it a whirl.Pours brown with a redish tint and ice tea like murkyness. The head is thin and disapates quickly. Smell: Charecteristics of wine and a pungent acidic aroma fill the nostrills. The smell of cork is also very present in the beer. Slight scent of honey and grapes. Taste: The taste is wine like in many qualities with an acidic almost stringent nature. Grapes and honey are many of the subtle notes that I am experiencing while drinking this brew. I can’t help but note that this remind me off some kind of juice drink I drank as a child, yet I cannot put my finger on it. The taste of apple is also prominant upon finnish. The mouthfeel is slightly astringent yet delectable, viniger like element also play a part in the mouthfeel.

ketchepillar (1199) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - OCT 30, 2008
Aroma: vinegar, raisins, raspberry, cranberry, vinous. Flavor: raspberry, cherries, cranberry. Somewhat wine-like. Moderately sour, more tart. A bit too harsh.

hillfiiiiire (323) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 30, 2008
Pours dark brown with a nice creamy head. Sweet sour cherry aroma. Delicious flavor that’s very sharply acidic cherries that a little woodiness. Not as funky as some sours, La Folie for example, but very well done.

dnlsartin (80) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 24, 2008
Brown, cranberry appearance with minimal, consistent head. Somewhat heavy. Raspberry, grapefruit, vinegar, and acidic sour. Tannins from oak aging. A fun, festive drink that gets more enjoyable and desirable with each sip.

ajwilliams (132) - , Indiana, USA - OCT 22, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2008 I understand that this is a well-made, well-respected beer, but I didn’t like it very much. That is just my personal opinion, but I like my beer to be beer, not wine. That said, the aroma and appearance are very appealing and the overall experience is certainly original. I just won’t do it again.

MitchWayne (263) - Kokkola, FINLAND - OCT 22, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2009 Cherry on the nose along with oaky notes and sourness. The taste is sour with sweet malt in the background, cherries and wood. Sharp as a razor but very balanced, refreshing and very unique.

ajm (1072) - Los Angeles, California, USA - OCT 19, 2008
Tap during my inaugural trip to Blue Palms. A nice deep red/brown/violet with thin head. An uncanny replicant of a grape Popcicle or Alexander the Grape Otter Pop in the aroma. This ushers in a flavor that is somewhat more fortified than Ommegang Rouge, but definitely in that vein. Grape, pineapple, unripe peach and green apple which is all nicely balanced. A standard for a reason.