overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2741   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

Ofortuna (322) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 8, 2008
From my backlog. Layers of sweetness within here. A great representation of the style. Moderate acidic notes, gorgeous color and poured a beautiful head and lacing. Upfront yeast notes with bits of balsamic vinegar and lime. Quite a bit of dried cherries present with a slight character of oak mid-palate. Just a bit sharp with the intensity of acidity for myself.

lb4lb (2587) - Austin, Texas, USA - MAY 8, 2008
Shared at tasting.
Pours dark maroon with a very light beige head. Smell is sour cherries and perhaps some cinnamon. Taste is tart cherries, vinegar, with maybe some funk. A bit creamy, and nicely carbonated. A tart and enjoyable sour.

Rogueone (506) - I F&ckin hate those guys from, Ohio, USA - MAY 7, 2008
Bottle shared by nolankowal: Not a sour ale fan, but I am trying to appreciate the style. That being said: pours a reddish brown-amber. Aggressive, chalky smell of extreme sour cherry much like an industrial cleaner. This one gets your sour glands working with the acidity and bitterness.

berlintronix (3) - Berlin, GERMANY - MAY 6, 2008 does not count
Perhaps Im missing something (or maybe I got a bad bottle), but I found this beer to be really terrible. Poured into a chalice from a 0.33 L bottle, the color was a pleasing ruby/mahogany. But the smell.... ugh! I was smacked in the face with an aroma of rancid vinegar and rotten fruit. The taste was pretty much the same - very sour, slightly bitter and yes, vinegary and rancid! Like the person below me said, it has a rotten fruit-like impression. This is not a good thing in my opinion. My mom took a sip of it and said she would vomit after a full glass. Anyway, I managed a full glass, but it was not pleasant. Never again.

BeerZack (288) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - MAY 6, 2008
Fairly clear mahogany color with but a small thin tan covering of bubbles. Sweet fruit-wine smell and acetone jump right out. As it warms more sweet fruit, caramel and sour apple come out to join the fingernail polish. Pretty sour impression. Almost a rotten fruit-like impression, sour cherry, fruitcake gummies, and a bunch of fingernail polish. Why does this fingernail polish taste/smell so appetizing? Very acidic and juicy feeling, begs to be drunk.

lagomswedish (213) - Ume, SWEDEN - MAY 5, 2008
Bottle shared with Ronald and Carita in Finland. Shines in the glass a deep, incandescent chestnut brown. Smells of iron fillings and minerals and conserved fruits. Fresh, uplifting acidic taste that dries the throat out, finishing with a stoney acidic finale.

demitriustown (1191) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - MAY 4, 2008
11.2 oz bottle:A wonderfully floral sour apple aroma, cherries, somewhat of a sugar note, and a tartness. Appearance is deep dark red with a medium sized tan head the diminishes into nothing. Taste is an upfront tartness with the carbonation bubbling on your tongue. Then falling off quite quickly and building back up again into a light sour apple taste. Palate is tart, very carbonated on the tongue and a surprisingly clean aftertaste. Overall, This is a really interesting beer in what it does inside your mouth with every sip. Wow, I am really enjoying this one. Worth the 12.99 a 4 pack.

wacho (52) - Izegem, BELGIUM - MAY 1, 2008
Een zuurzoet wijnaroma. De zuurzoete smaak met lichte hout en azijnzuursmaak. Een lichte toets van kriek en caramel. Een van de sterkhouders van onze Belgische biercultuur

DUNGA (10) - BELGIUM - APR 28, 2008
Bottled, dark red color, no head practically.. I knew this is not my type of beer since I prefer Quads, but I knew Id enjoy this in a different perspective, sour, cherry flavors, but the caramel malt and the complexity of this beer is what helped me to enjoy this beer thoroughly. Great beer even if it isnt your type... :)

tennisjoel (1446) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - APR 25, 2008
On tap at Busters on 28th in Minneapolis. I wanted to try this before all of it is gone (Rodenbach is no longer distributing in the states). Brown amber pour with a smallish head. Aromas of vinegar, berries, and apple. Assertive sourness, but not extreme. Initially, the vinegar flavor hits, but then is followed by a high level of fruitiness and oak, which I thouroughly enjoyed. One of these was plenty enough for my palate. I feel like Im starting to get sours. This might be my favorite yet.