overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2750   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

joe1510 (501) - Illinois, USA - OCT 1, 2008
750ml $7.99 Binny’s Orland Rodenbach Grand Cru pours a murky, somewhat hazed rust with lively carbonation rising to the surface. A minimal head of one finger showed up on the pour and left fingers of lace as it fell to a respectable cap. A good looking beer without a doubt and just what would be expected from the style. Each swirl brings about a sticky head and great aromas. Cherry Sweet Tarts start things of and quickly lead into a tart cherry character. A great sweet and sour (vinegar) character punctuate this brew. Slight acidity tickles the nose and light waves of oak weave in and out of the sweet and sour. The smell of this beer makes my mouth water uncontrollably. The flavor mimics the aroma. A sweetened candy-like cherry flashes through upfront before tart cherry and cider vinegar wash over the taste buds mid palate. Ghost-like oakiness pokes its head out occasionally but just as quickly disappears. The slight sweetness shows up again on the finish to combine with the sour and oak to create a blast of flavor. Grand Cru is an exceptional beer and a true benchmark of the style that I never tire of. The body is on the lighter side of medium and shows off a great silkiness. Carbonation is lively and awakens the tongue a bit but is very soft and natural. Extremely thirst quenching but gives that slight pucker as well. Rodenbach’s Grand Cru is an incredibly easy drinking beer. All at once deep in flavor and complexity with a great ability to quench the thirst this beer leaves. This bottle is a pleasure to put away. This, to me, is the benchmark of the style. A truly great beer for the ages and one I always try to keep on hand. I just can’t get enough of the Grand Cru. 5/26/08

General66 (203) - Streator, Illinois, USA - SEP 30, 2008
I had this on tap at the Blind Pig in Champaign, Illinois. I have been meaning to try a sour for quite some time, but just got around to it recently. This poured a dark red color with a small tan head that disappeared quickly. The aroma consists of a lot of cherries and dried fruit. If I hadn’t of known better I would have thought I was smelling a red wine. The taste was also very wine-like. There was a lot of dried fruit on the front of the mouth with a somewhat strange bitter taste in the back of my mouth. Overall, this was a nice experience. I would definitely not drink this regularly, but was happy that I had the chance to try it!

DuffMan (10762) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 30, 2008
Deep copper-red, big effervescent tan coloured head leaving generous lace down my tulip glass. Pronounced sour cherry and red currant aroma, with tea-like undertones. Puckeringly sour palate filled with sour cherry-berry fruit, softened somewhat by a complex underlying sweetness that is married to the acidity reminiscent of balsamic vinegar, but not quite. Yogurty lactic tartness in the finish. Truly excellent, with much to ponder and discuss.

sdk (33) - Island Bay, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 26, 2008
330ml Bottle at The Malt House. Good colour, nice dark red with a deep head. Aroma was nice with a hint of sour fruits. Got a hit of sour citrus fruit and berries on the first taste and a definite sourness all the way to the throat. Went down well and wasn’t too sour an after taste. Full in the mouth although not as thick as some. Not my favorite style of beer, but a very good example of the style. Would have another if I was in the mood.

mgoy (344) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 25, 2008
On tap at Ginger Man in New York. When I gave the bartender my order, I choose a random beer without the knowlegde this was a Sour Ale. While I have never liked a Sour Ale before, I thuroughly enjoyed Rodenbach Grand Cru. Flavorful, light and intriguing with notes of sour cabbage and soy sauce. Deep red color with a small, but bigger than average head for the category. While I will still stay away from full bodied Sour Ales, this experience will force me to try a few brews I had previously dismissed.

blipp (9904) - La Mesa, California, USA - SEP 20, 2008
Bottle. Pours deep red with a fizzy head. The aroma is very strong and has cherry and wood. Nice tart fruit flavor, not nearly as intense as the aroma initially was. Cherry, rhubarb, and oak. Very drinkable, but I like original Rodenbach a bit better.

Habanero (4911) - Tranbjerg, DENMARK, DENMARK - SEP 19, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 29, 2016 Tap. Amber body with a little, beige head. Aroma of vinegar, acid and light fruity, woody notes, grapes and citrus. Slightly sweet flavor that ends up dry and tart. Medium bodied, oily to watery texture and Soft carbonation. A nice Sour indeed. 🌟🌟🌟🌟

TinyTim (25) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 19, 2008
Poors a hazy orange/red. The head is fairly weak. The smell and the taste are like nothing else I have encountered; intense fruity, nutty sourness, that lingers on the palate like a sour lolly. There is plenty of sweetness, and grapey sourness, like a very out-of-date white wine. The flavour and the palate are impressively thick and complex. Lots of fruits, spices and balsamic vinegar. The aroma is a bit like nail varnish mixed with rotten fruits. Certainly not a beer for the faint-hearted. If one has the stomach for it, this is a brew that will be appreciated more with each tasting.

nqualls (1452) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 18, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 10, 2009
Source:750 mL bottle from Chuck’s in BG.
Glass:Corsendonk Tulip.
Appearance:Brown/red pour with a one finger beige head.
Aroma:Sour cherries, figs, dates, funky cheese and a bit of vinegar.
Flavor:Sour cherries dominate up front, with a grape finish and a lingering, faint balsamic presence.
Palate:Light body with solid carbonation.
Overall:This is a rerate. The first bottle was very balsamic on the palate. This bottle is more typical of the style. Quality sour.

bembelembe (219) - Zagreb, CROATIA - SEP 15, 2008
Stum-like beer. Very sour. Aroma of grape & rose wine, balsamic vinegar, red fruits. Aftertaste is burny and soury with grape notes. Carbonated. I almost wouln’t call it beer because of it resemblence of grape stum.