overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2751   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

chimplechamp (601) - Oslo, NORWAY - NOV 10, 2007
pours brown and burgundy with a little head to speak of.. has dispersed quite fast. smells wine. strong sour smell. beer is lightly carbonated strong sour taste but not enough to pucker. wine comes through alot. malt balances the beer slightly not my cup.

RiverHorse (457) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 4, 2007
Pours a ruby red color into the snifter with a quick half inch off-white head. The scent was vinegar, sour cherries, flowers and spice. A sour taste hits the palate immediately, but calmed as I got used to it. I was glad to have tried this beer, but I still do not really enjoy sour beers.

ubamartian (155) - Watertown, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 1, 2007
Bottle. Pours a grand reddish brown with a small tan head. Aroma is similar to a Red Wine Vinegar on a salad with oranges and grapes. Almost overpowering, but not quite. At first smell I had the unmistakeable urge to dunk a potato chip in it. First sip.... Wow, this is definately a sour beer, the vinegar smell comes through in the flavor, but the citrus and fruit follow along to tame the sour beast. I now had a craving for a fish fry. Later sips are much more docile as you acclimate to the sour, bringing more of a pleasent flavor. The finish is sour, yet sweet, and wet, balancing all the flavors and lingering with the taste of a citrus vinegar. The mouth feel is tangy from the sour, and light and lively with the blend of flavors trying to compete for a presence, but eventually losing to the sour. I think I need to find some salty fried cod with a bit of lemon juice drizzled over it, and sit back and enjoy this devilishly different flavor.

Hank1980 (966) - Athens, Georgia, USA - OCT 31, 2007
On tap at Blind Tiger. Great beer. Fruity sour aroma. I thought cranberries best described the aroma and taste. Some earthy characteristics as well. One of my first sours. Very good mouthfeel and appearance.

heavy (2911) - Split, CROATIA - OCT 30, 2007
27/10 As I got interested with my first sour ale (rate#100) I definitely wanted to try the best rated available in Croatia. Got 0.33 l bottle from Hopdevil, which poured brown body with small brownish head. Vinegar aroma, really sour, even comparing to other I’ve tried. Flavor surprisingly quite light, not so sour as I’ve expected to be, specially after strong aroma. Consisting of lemon, some other fruits like grapes, and black cherries it happen to be quite interesting. Finish is good reflecting the flavor mostly. Really great beer, although I’ve expected more.

alexanderj (3605) - Branson, Missouri, USA - OCT 27, 2007
Draft at Blind Tiger with golubj; poured a dark color of red and brown; little head. Aroma and taste was of grapes; substantial tartness; with some chocolate and wood. Not a big fan of this style, but well done for it.

golubj (1377) - San Mateo, California, USA - OCT 24, 2007
Draft at the Blind Tiger. Very sour aroma with some earthy malt and it kind of smelled like champagne. The taste was somewhat like vinegar; quite sour but also a little bit fruity. I am not into sour beers, but this one seemed decent for the style.

tarjei (1954) - Bryne, NORWAY - OCT 24, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 20, 2008 33 cl bottle. Dark brown/reddish color, nicem but disappering beige head. Sour and fruity, vinous, high carbonation. Complexe. I understand people who don´t like this. I´m not used to this style, but when I drink this one I know I will like it better and better.

beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - OCT 24, 2007
Beautifully bold and shiny dark brown color with a fine, bright ruby glow within and around the edges when strongly back lit. Much like if it were an interchangeable stage light. Starchy topping of parchment paper colored foam builds up gracefully after the pour to about a finger high and slowly fades to a light skim and a few light specks and strings of lacing. Aroma is sweet and mostly sour with vineous grapes and cherry vinegar and a whole lot of earthly woodish notes that are very high ended and nose hair pullingly sour. Taste is a towering inferno of souring stuff that is quite complex and uniquely snappy on the palate. Instant tongue cleansing and cheek parching with super sweet, tart cherries, souring vinegar, and vineous quailties that scream dry wine. Lots of superb surroundings to earth, wood, and leaves. Dare I say raisin seems to drift around with some currant skins and a bit of plum too. The texture of sourness is incredibly complex. Acidicly sublime and balanced with just enough sweet to help keep it a bit more in check then it probably could be. The oak aging has done wonders here with all sorts of unique notes that remind me of being in a deeply wooded forest on a hot day as the heat rises from the forest floor and sifts through the thick tree foilage. Wonderful in that regards. Mouthfeel is like a swig of vinegar balanced with souring fruits and sweetened fruity malt. Crisp, tangy, full on oaky tinged heat and character, vineous dryness, and tones of well-handled sour is the beast of each sip. If sour patch candies were oak aged and pulled from the ground this would be the liquid form of that. Now as much as I enjoy these types of beers, I have always had a tremendously hard time drinking them with any ease. The sourness is beyond me and my capacity to handle them like a pro Lambic drinker is not something I can keep up with. So on that note I unfortunately have a hard time attributing a nubmer to the drinkability of such a beer. So since this took me a very, very long time to finish, I guess its my average? Damn good stuff though.

BelgiskOlklub (1089) - Viby J, DENMARK - OCT 21, 2007
A great beer - one of my favourites. It pours red/brown, whit a small rocky, white head. Sour flavour and aroma of cask wood. Refreshing and dry.