overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2743   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

Fish (440) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 23, 2005
This beer is for adventurous folk only. Actually I liked this guy a lot. I had never had a sour ale before, but apparently this is a fine specimen of the style. My first taste-impression of this beer was that it tated of A-1 steaksauce. This leads me to believe that this beer would complement beef extremely well. There is definitely a very distinct sourness about this beer. Reminds me of the Lambiks I’ve tasted.

CMUBEERMAN (440) - - APR 18, 2006
Wow...this is my first sour...kind of a kick in the ass. Pours a hazy redish yellow and has a fizzy whte head. Aroma is kind of unpleasant...sour fruit and yeast...but not so much in a good way. The taste...that is more like it...man this is pretty damn good...as long as you sip it. Taste has complex sour fruit and sweet malt...really interesting...and amazingly balanced for what it is. Mouthfeel is much like champagne. This was a pleasant surprise...am I going to attempt to drink a 750ml of it by myself, no. Would I share one with 2 other people again, yes.

satanda (439) - CZECH REPUBLIC - OCT 7, 2010
Asi nejkyselejší pivo které jsem kdy v životě pil. Na první napití velmi nepříjemné překvapení, pak se to trochu začalo lepšit. Asi by se na to dalo zvyknout, ale dneska ne.

MrPickles (438) - Waunakee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 1, 2009
Shared a champagne bottle at a three person tasting. As I did not note everything I am stealing some notes from Madvike who noted everything. It pours a rosy brown with no head. The smell was the hardest part for me to get pas. Smells acidic and sour with that balsamic vinegar smell. To get the taste you have to get used to the smell. I could not get much of the flavor until I was one with the aroma. Taste is cherries and dark fruit with sour, acidic, and balsamic vinegar again. There’s a whiskey flavor near the end and a faint cinnamon in the background. I am very new to sours, but this grew on me as I tried more. Still don’t think that it will ever be my beer of choice, but who knows maybe it will continue to grow on me even more…

Alexi91 (437) - Bristol/Romsey, Hampshire, ENGLAND - DEC 25, 2015
Origin: Bottle. Vessel: Tulip. Supplier: Beer Emporium (Bristol). Highly carbonated and quite sour.

Finwe (436) - Grankulla, FINLAND - DEC 16, 2009
330 ml bottle @ Kaisla. Pours dark reddish-brown with scarcely any head. Has a sour aroma with ripe, sugary, red fruits. The flavour is vinegary sour but fruity sweet at the same time. The characteristic taste of oak is easy to notice. Sweetish aftertaste.

Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - DEC 18, 2005
Bottle courtesy of Nilay. At least 2 years old, with a much different label than that pictured. Shared with Edward, Drew, Nilay, and Andy. Tried next to La Folie, and although I liked La Folie a bit better, this was wonderful stuff. Cranberry and raisin notes join nutmeg and ginger and walnut in a fruit-cake like taste that brings in the Christmas season. A nice sourness and acidity lend a hand to leave a sharp residual bite on the tongue. Excellent stuff, and aged well.

davidpl (435) - Santiago, CHILE - AUG 16, 2007
Appearance: brown reddish color. Medium head, beige color, consistent and very persistent. Beautiful. Aroma: fruitiness of cherries, blackberries, red apple, sour plums and quince. Liquory, like wine and apple’s cider. Spicy like peppers, clove, mustard seed and nutmeg. The sourness I remember me a yogurt and vinaigrette. Other notes, such as, damp wood, vanilla, smoked. Not hoppy, low malty. Flavor: even more complex that aroma, rare and exotic. Sweet and intensive sour start, lactic sourness, fruitiness of plums, ripe berries, cherries, green grape (like chardonnay), pears and green apples. I remember the apple cider, the natural yogurt and a Chardonnay wine. Spicy notes of mustard, peppers, blond vinegar, clove, nutmeg and mints. Not hoppy finish; malty, woody (oak), cherry and sweet-sour aftertaste. Palate: medium body, silky and oily texture. Medium carbonation. Refreshing, highly sour, very complex, exotic and nice beer. Only the belgians could create it!

bhops (433) - Dallas, Texas, USA - APR 16, 2008
broke down and got a grand cru at erasmus. Yes JK, it is available in the states, but I hadn’t tried it yet. pours ruby brown, decent head with some lacing. Nice tartness with some cherry and currant?/dark fruits. Great beer. I love a sour beer.

guil0000 (433) - New Brunswick, CANADA - APR 17, 2014
Pours a dark cloudy brown color with a small beige head. Aroma is mostly sour apple, plums and dark cherries, champagne. Medium sweetness on the taste with a medium to strong sour finish. Bubbly mouthfeel, kind of feels like a sour bubbly champagne and its very good