overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2704   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

CaptBier (323) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - OCT 6, 2007
Bottle. Ive not had a sour ale so I probably shouldnt rate one. But, pours amber, thin off white head. Smells of spoiled vinegar, tastes about the same. Very sour, but it finishes clean and had a civil cherry after taste. Not my cup ’o tea.

hillfiiiiire (323) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 30, 2008
Pours dark brown with a nice creamy head. Sweet sour cherry aroma. Delicious flavor that’s very sharply acidic cherries that a little woodiness. Not as funky as some sours, La Folie for example, but very well done.

Ofortuna (322) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 8, 2008
From my backlog. Layers of sweetness within here. A great representation of the style. Moderate acidic notes, gorgeous color and poured a beautiful head and lacing. Upfront yeast notes with bits of balsamic vinegar and lime. Quite a bit of dried cherries present with a slight character of oak mid-palate. Just a bit sharp with the intensity of acidity for myself.

GhostFace (321) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 24, 2011
750ml bottle poured. deep red in color with a thin head that fades quickly. the aroma is light and tart, sour and fruity but slightly weird (yeast?) taste is mildly sour with hints of tart apple and some earthy-ness. good amount of acidity and tannins. an tasty easy drinker!

GlassBrass440 (321) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - MAR 29, 2015
Pours a cloudy rusty brown with short lasting white head. Aromas of sour cherries, forest floor, and oak. Pronounced sour flavour that is by no means overwhelming. Cherries, again, in the flavour. Quite dry in the finish with a lingering acidity.

tmzl (320) - SLOVENIA - FEB 11, 2017
Crisp, fresh, medium acidic acid spike complemented with smooth caramel sweetness. Standard.

TrappistenOli (320) - Bern, SWITZERLAND - OCT 8, 2013
Braun, trüb, malzig beeriges und leicht säuerlich im aroma, malzig und gut ausgewogene säure, gehaltvoll, passende/leichte rezenz ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

mircoas (320) - ITALY - NOV 21, 2014
33cl @ bottle. Ciliegia un po’ acida ma anche dolce. Birra molto beverina nonostante la complessità.

sdriessen (320) - Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 24, 2009
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2010 750mL bottle, a gift from Donfardz64. Pours a beautiful ruby hue. Tangy, sour aroma hits you as soon as the cork is popped. Nose is full of raspberries and boysenberry. Gorgeous. Incredibly complex flavours, mostly of berry fruit with a hint of cherry sweetness behind the immense sourness. Oak makes itself known, as it should. Amazing beer.
Re-rate:
Man this beer is good. So rich and sour, and I’m noticing more woody and smoky notes every time I try it. I know it goes amazing with a cigar! For me, this beer is king of the sour beers. So much better than any wine I’ve ever tasted. I wish there was an abundant supply in New Zealand.

lampeno420 (320) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - SEP 7, 2007
First flemish sour tasting. The smell almost put me off, but since this was at a tasting with a lot more good ones, my drinking partners showed me the way. What a great surprise! The end of the taste reminded me of the bottom of a bag of Sour Skittles, with a vinegar-y scent. I need to find more Flemish sour.