overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2759   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 1/3 young beer and 2/3 of beer aged 2 years in large oak vats. The more important proportion of oak matured beer contributes to its fruity taste, complexity and intensity. The finish is worthy of a great wine.

JamesD (244) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - APR 20, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 9, 2008 The aroma of this beer is very inviting. Sour, with a hint of berries, a lot like the Rodenbach Classic. However, this beer is darker, when held up to the light, it gives off a peachy red. The flavor is magnificent, much more sour than the Classic. A sip will make you pucker up with joy as the strong, yet gentle sour flavor takes you by storm. This beer has notes of cherry and more of a juicy peach or apricot flavor to it, without as much of the earthy berry flavor of the Classic. I would also describe it as much more refreshing.

FilmLabRat (1) - Colfax, California, USA - JUN 20, 2008 does not count
If there was only one beer in the world, and this was it. I would be a happy man.

KornDogg (570) - Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 28, 2010
Bottle at Capone’s. Oak and Sour Cherry aroma. Dark amber body with alcohol lacing the glass. Flavor is filled of sour cherry...similar to an aged wine. very complex flavor yet well balanced... tart, dry finish... amazing

gsquared (4) - - NOV 29, 2011 does not count
Wow, it’s been a year since I discovered this beer and still prefer it to all others. Leaves a clean, crisp aftertaste.

bdodge2 (2) - - FEB 16, 2013 does not count
A Flanders style Belgium ale, closest to a wine style. Made with red malt and lactic acid.

ullrich (21) - Berlin, GERMANY - FEB 26, 2013
Little sour, nicely sweet. Super refreshing! Will most definitely have again!

SuperTiti33 (891) - Aylmer, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 1, 2013
Ambrée. Reflets rouge. Vinaigre balsamique. Pomme verte. Belle acidité. Framboise. Bonbon. Baie. Sucré-Surette. Citron. Une magnifique bière qui fait parti de mes favorite.

OstateDChi (1) - Oklahoma, USA - APR 2, 2014 does not count
My wife and I took a beer pilgramige to Belgium. We knew that New Belgium Brewery’s first beer ’Abbey’ was started with the yeast from Rodenbach. So we had to stop in Roeselare,Belgium. After the tour we had a tasting. First comes the regular Roeselare beer which is 2/3 new and 1/3 aged. It was one of the best beers we’ve ever had. My wife loves sour, fruity lambic style beers. Then out comes the Grand Cru. Being 2/3 aged beer, it was one of the most intensely powerful and complex beers I’ve ever had. Especially being served in the Brewery. It was a dark red, plum tasting, sour Belgium style beer. It was the best stop on our tour of all the remaining Trappist breweries like Orval, Chamay, and St Sixtus. As an aside, our tour was in Dutch. We got lucky and one of the ladies in the tour knew English and translated for us. If you are ever close, make it a point to go to Roeselare and tour the brewery. The rows and rows of giant wooden casks is an impressive sight to see.

kolymaTram (17) - brussels, BELGIUM - APR 18, 2014
comlex taste to explain - the sours rule, but the overall taste is just "magic". Always in my cellar - but being belgian, thazt should not be too difficult. Nor a surprise.

LEO666 (7) - - JAN 31, 2015 does not count
Perfection. Probably one of the best [commercial] beers I have tasted sofar. Highend.