overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1724   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 75% young beer fermented in steel tanks and 25% old beer aged 2 year in large oak casks. Rodenbach bears the proud title of "the most refreshing beer in the world".

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
changeup45 (1731) - Lake Mary, Florida, USA - APR 7, 2008
I wanted to try a new style, read good things about Flemish Sour beers so gave this a try based on a recommendation. I was however quite skeptical after reading reviews. Vinegar? That doesnt sound appealing at all. So the beer pours a murky brown color with a small head. It does indeed smell and taste quite a bit like vinegar. The flavor is dark fruits with some cherry and vinegar. It is a little sour but not as sour as I was expecting. There is a winey presence about it. The finish and aftertaste is a bit weird and bland. Overall its not horrible and easier drinking than I feared but I dont really like it. The first sip I had was a little gross but it grew a little on me. Still, I would have been perfectly happy with a small 12 ounce sample. As is I had a big bottle and halfway through I didnt even want to finish it. Of course I did finish it and honestly it was better as it warmed a bit. If I ever have it again Ill note to let it warm a little.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
french tickler (649) - Aylmer, Quebec, CANADA - APR 6, 2008
Lightly hazy dark red poor, small light brown head. Aromas of blasamic and red wine vinegar, pommegranite, and mustard seeds. Sweet and sour hits you right off the bat but quickly fades away. Nice sweet rhubarb taste but flavors are somewhat lacking. Low carbonation and light bodied.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
santos999 (318) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 4, 2008
A deep, clear ruby body beneath a frothy, rocky tan head. Smells very oaky, with acidic, spicy, cherry, berry, and, unfortunately, a little vinegar. Super strong brett/wild yeast aroma. The complexity of flavors is incredible. Cherry, plum, fig, brett, oak, chocolate, sourdough bread, acidic, and sweet notes bombard the taste buds. The finish is long, sour, strong, abrasive, and I love it. One of the most (if not the most) classic Belgian sour ales. I know its not the same since Palm bought it out, but its still a tasty, tasty brew, and one of my all time favorites.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MatSciGuy (907) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 2, 2008
[bottle] Pours a great deep red. Nose of tart fruits and sour funk. Taste is sour apples and cherries. Not as woody or smooth as the grand cru but very tasty regardless.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Perm (151) - Tryon, North Carolina, USA - MAR 30, 2008
750 mL bottle from the Hendersonville (NC) Food Co-Op....for $1.99/bottle!!

Im stingy with my perfect 5s, so I opted for a 19 on the Overall...after all, as another reviewer said, its hard to drink more than one of these at a go, even with the 5.1% ABV.

It is, nevertheless, an absolutely glorious concoction. I have been a champion of the Duchesse de Bourgogne for some time, but after a head-to-head with Rodenbach, the Duchess has been dethroned.

Poured into an oversize Merlot goblet.

Appearance: The color of madeira (or, for you low-brow types, Dr. Pepper. :) ). Burnt russet-brown with a lovely light-tan lacing of head. Beautifully stunning in the glass.

Nose: An extensive bouquet -- wild grapes, sour cherries, vanilla, a hint of balsamic vinegar, cloves, cardamom, white pepper, deep, dark hops, sourdough yeast, fresh-cut hay, plums, and maple syrup.

Taste: Similar to the nose -- a yummy sweet and sour! Balsamic vinegar, apple, plum, scuppernong grapes, cherries, white pepper, maple syrup, cloves, and sourdough bread.

Mouth/palate: Sharp, dry, spritzy, smooth, and full-bodied.

This really puts the Duchesse to shame. Try with artisan cheese, grilled meats (duck), or even Chinese food.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
FlacoAlto (4176) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 29, 2008
Best By Date October 2006; Sampled March 2008
I am quite surprised by the best by date as I bought it newly distributed to AZ about a year ago. The beer pours with a frothy, initially two-finger thick, fairly quickly dissipating, darkish tan colored head. The beer is a deep, richly concentrated amber color, but shows a bright cranberry color when held up to the light. Faintly tart smelling as I visually inspect this beer, with a wisp of acetic acid to it. A deeper inspection of the aroma confirms the tartness, though there is lots of balancing caramelized malt notes to balance this out. Fruity aromatics of cherries and prunes are noticeable from time to time, though more in a supporting kind of role. Some drier malt notes contribute a light nuttiness as well as some biscuit like aromatics. Softer funk notes contribute a slight musty earth note, While not as powerful as its big brother, this beers nose has a really nice complexity to it and the fruit character is can be quite rich if you spend an extended period smelling the nose.

Lightly tart, but with a balancing light sweetness that is matched up front. The sweetness dies a bit towards the finish (where the tartness takes over), but then picks up again to provide more balance to the light sourness in the long finish. Very light bodied, more so than I was expecting from this 5.1% abv beer; not watery, but it is darn near refreshing. A cherry like fruitiness is accented by a light acetic note that reminds me a bit of washed out balsamic vinegar. There seems to be a touch of woody tannins in the finish that coat the mouth a bit like black tea does. The malt / caramel character of this brew also adds some character; light toasty, bread flavors, a touch of sweet caramel and perhaps a hint of toffee.

As the beer warms up a bit and my palate gets used to it, the body picks up a touch more heft, though it is still down right quaffable. It also gets a bit more acetic, which is perfectly all right with me. The second pour of this was clear right up until the last drop, yet there was a dark, tightly compacted sediment layer on the bottom of the bottle of this pasteurized brew. I havent had this for a long time, but this is much more interesting than I remember it being. I wonder if the fact that I have an out of date bottle has helped things. I need to try and get a fresh bottle of this to see if it is still this good. I really like how quaffable this brew is; finishing a 750ml bottle of this brew is just too easy.

Purchased: <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Tucson AZ

railcat1 (702) - Kissimmee, Florida, USA - MAR 27, 2008
This was outstanding,I love my sours along with my IPS and this hit the spot,wity a very tart and sour taste like a fruity delight with a tart finish very pleasing and enjoyable.CHEERS!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Tranquillity (2221) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 24, 2008
Bottled. Dark red/brown, small beige head. Woody, sour aroma. Apples, pears. Tart. Taste like a fantastic sour ale should: sour, apples, vanilla. Its dry and tart, but lack the woody flavours and some of the complexity that its big brother has. Very balanced.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AR (1000) - Georgia, USA - MAR 22, 2008
A dark beer with little head. Taste is fruity and sour. Nice and smooth while going to the back of the throat with a lingering sour aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
zebracakes (1339) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2008
Pours ruby orange, thin off white head. Aroma is tangy fruit, sour, malty, salt & vinegar. Flavor is the same but a bit more malty than I expected.