overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Rodenbach (Palm)
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Roeselare, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1737   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Bottle: Filtered.
A blend of 75% young beer fermented in steel tanks and 25% old beer aged 2 year in large oak casks. Rodenbach bears the proud title of "the most refreshing beer in the world".

MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - NOV 5, 2007
Bottle. Pours deep opaque red. Aroma is sour, lightly fruity, vinegary. Flavor is full of sour fruity tartness, with hints of sweetness. Finish is drying and tart, and fairly short. Palate is smooth and lightly fizzy. I wish I hadn’t had the Grand Cru first now, because it makes this one seem a little less potent. Still, fantastic and yummy, I think I’m a fan of the style. I’ll be getting more for sure.

stefanberggren (135) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 28, 2007
drank at La Morte Subite on tap.... Good CO2 bite with a nice lactic/fruit aroma Dark ruby red color, subdued sourness, I guess I prefer the Grand Cru. The CO2 seems to increase the tartness sweet start with drying finish and seems to bring the aspect of dark cherries and vanilla to the front. Slight Ethylacetate that is not overbearing like " La Folie" in my opionion. Would go great with some flemish beef stew.

tennisjoel (1460) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - OCT 27, 2007
750 mL pour. Brown orange body with a fluffy white head. Aroma of sour cherry and some candied fruit. Tartness is not overbearing, and in my book that means it’s done well (since I’m not a huge fan of the extreme puckering sour brews). I was expecting a more challenging beer, but the fact that the tartness here did not take over the beer was a plus. Some of the fruitiness comes out more. A nice brew. I look forward to trying the Grand Cru sometime.

golubj (1377) - San Mateo, California, USA - OCT 27, 2007
Draft at the Blind Tiger with alexanderj. This was not as sour as the grand cru, and it was somewhat bland. The malt was a little bit grainy, and it was hard to see much beyond the sour green-grape flavor.

alexanderj (3605) - Branson, Missouri, USA - OCT 27, 2007
On draft at the Blind Tiger with golubj. Preferred this too the Grand Cru. Flavor was less sour than the Grand Cru, but I thought the flavor was better overall. Still not great.

rodenbach99 (4572) - Longueuil, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 15, 2007
bouteille, la grand cru de tout les jours, très bonne bière rouge, c’est un style que j’adore, je n’en bois pas assez souvent.

efrumtheidiot (190) - Colorado, USA - OCT 9, 2007
pours a red-brown with a tan head. aroma is sour, with cider, wine, and some fruit notes. taste is sweet & sour, with a touch of vinegar, cherry, & salt. a nice example of the style, though i’m not particularly fond of it. if you’ve never had a sour ale, be cautious in trying this, it’s quite different!

tomciccateri (1034) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - OCT 9, 2007
From a 33cl can labeled 5.1% dated 13092008. Pours a clear dark brown with a slight tan head and lace. Light to medium body, slight sour character, subdued rich dark malt flavors,

DowntownGator (22) - Florida, USA - OCT 5, 2007
I love this beer. What more can I say? It’s one of my favorite styles of beer and this one represents the class well. In fact, the Rodenbach classic reminds me of a Duchesse de Bourgogne; tart, but not vinegary-sour like its cousin, the Rodenbach Grand Cru. Alcohol is almost completely hidden behind citrus, black cherry, raspberry, and oak aging. This beer speaks for itself. Excellent.

fonefan (49333) - VestJylland, DENMARK - OCT 5, 2007
Bottle. Alc. 5.2% Clear amber red color with a small, fizzy, fair lacing, fully diminishing, beige head. Aroma is berry, vinegar, port, oak. Flavor is moderate sweet and light to moderate acidic, with a average duration. Body is light to medium, texture is watery to oily, carbonation is soft. (120907)