Rogue Artisan Lager

Formerly brewed at Rogue Ales
Style: Amber Lager/Vienna
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 27   MEAN: 3.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   ABV: -
Light bronze in color, medium-bodied, with a malt aroma, a slight malt sweetness and clean hop bitterness.

UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 24, 2003
A friend of mine found one of these sitting in an A&P liquor mart, and figured I'd like it, mainly to save the bottle. The beer poured a cloudy golden amber, with a copious head. Smelled and tasted a little old, slightly tinny and past it's prime. Aside from that, it was fairly full bodied, nice and malty, with very little hopping. I would have liked to try this fresh, but it was fun anyways. Ratings boosted slightly for potential.

SETANTA (582) - Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 1, 2002
Floral hop nose, deep malt character for a lighter beer, crisp flavor.......

jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - AUG 20, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2004 Saw it in the store and had to get it because I knew it was retired. Looks like cider, no head. Aroma has hints of spice and apples. Flavor is sweet malt with just-right grassy/floral hops. Why is this retired??? Update: Bought the last two bottles and one tasted pretty old. I would still recommend buying one in the hope of getting a good one.

ampp (155) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - DEC 7, 2001
UPDATED: SEP 17, 2003 The best of the Rogue beers that I have tasted. Rich and smooth. I tasted the hops, but the malt balanced it out perfectly. I also like the statue and fireworks design on the 22 oz. bottle. I think i'll save the bottle.

johnson2020 (79) - Canton, Michigan, USA - JAN 29, 2002
A great lager, but not one of Rogue's better beers. Great with brats........

lagerman99 (66) - USA - DEC 3, 2001
In general I'm not a big Rogue fan, but this stuff is special - big toasty malts, silk in the mouth, a bitter nuttiness on close. Yum.

FOAMer (45) - Bartlesville, Oklahoma, USA - AUG 25, 2000
Malt upfront in the nose. Veinna and Crystal malts show through. The bottle says they used Saaz, but I really don't detect any in the aroma, although it may be very slight. The bottle has some yeast haze, which Rogue tends to have if you are not careful pouring. Nice color, amber to copper in color. Toasteness from the malts is nice. I like Vienna malts! Bitterness is in the background. There is some yeasty flavor, due to how the beer was poured. Nice creaminess in the mouth feel. Not over carbonated like some Vienna beers. I like this beer much better than the south of the boarder Vienna beers like Dos Equies, and Niegra Modelo. This is one the better versions of the style. This beer almost boardes an Octoberfest/Marzen. I would like to see an OG on the bottle. Since Rogue is good about that.