overall

RATINGS: 337   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Beard beer is brewed with a yeast created from Brewmaster John Maier’s beard. No need to freak out, brewers have used wild yeasts in beer making for centuries. John has had the same old growth beard since 1978 and for over 15,000 brews, so it is no great surprise that a natural yeast ideal for brewing was discovered in his beard. What does beard beer taste like? try it, we think you’ll be surprised...

cards04 (2813) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - MAR 14, 2015
Pours a copper colour. Nice aromas of sweet bread and Belgian yeast. Similar flavours. A bit of a tang at the end. Pretty decent stuff.

GJF (1520) - Mount Vernon, Iowa, USA - MAR 7, 2015
Bottle from John’s. Pale yellow pour. Subtle yeastiness. Slight sweet and fruitiness. It’s a nice creamy body, but so-so flavors.

northropfrye (3628) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - FEB 19, 2015
Orange body. Sweet bubblegum aroma. Sweet taste with a touch of fruit bubblegum cities and funk but not very sour at all.

andrewje41 (3894) - Kenmore, Washington, USA - FEB 7, 2015
22 oz bottle poured. Poured at Special Brews, with two very well bearded individuals. My inability to grow a beard myself caused me to hesitate on trying this, out of pure peanut butter and jealousy. Maybe this stuff is some sort of magic potion that will allow someone with an ugly patchy thin beard such as myself to join the party. Either that or this is just a normal belgian style beer with a novelty idea to sell bottles. I’ll stick with option A. The beard growing process begins today. Now I’ve never tasted a beard before, so my opinion on this beer might be a little jaded. Pours a nice orange color with a foamy white head. Aroma is sweet apricot fruit, and belgian yeast. Or maybe it’s beard yeast. Like I said, I have no idea. Is having a beard like a prerequisite for being a brewer? I’ve always wondered this. I’ve never seen a brew master that didn’t have one. I make beer myself, but it’s not very good. Maybe it’s the beard. I’m learning a lot drinking this beer. Sweet fruity flavor throughout. Apricots, and oranges. A bit of a metal taste as well, which I found a little strange. Nice bready flavor in there as well, but mild. I’m not offended by this beer by any means. More or less for me, it’s a very plain belgian ale, but I love the style, so ultimately, I enjoyed the hell out of this beer. If this beer enabled me to grow a beard, I will be sure to update this rating. I’ll drink this again. Enjoyed it. This entire rating could have been summed up with just two words, that I typically use for beer ratings a lot: good stuff.

PartyFowle (954) - - FEB 3, 2015
Bottle into a snifter. Translucent gold, topped with a fizzy head of white that pops away after a few seconds. The nose: sweet pear, red apple, white crackers, black pepper, some kind of moldy grossness. The yuck is subtle, but there. Slightly funky pear and apple flavor, with a backbone of moldy bread. Fairly dry finish. Drinking this beer is like those scenes in movies in which people eating some mystery meat talk about how good the meat tastes until they realize it’s monkey or something. It’s a good beer until you think about what went into making it.

AtronSeige (1538) - Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA - JAN 24, 2015
Aroma: Soft spiciness, light floral, light lemon, tart, light toasty, light syrup, apricot. Appearance: Clear golden body. Medium white head, rocky, good retention. Flavour: Medium fruity, apricot, peach. Light grainy. Dry finish with lingering crispness and fruity flavours. Medium syrup. Medium sweetness, Medium bitterness. Light spiciness Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation with a slight sting. Overall: Complex, and light.. 660 ml bottle, poured.

b3shine (8878) - Indiana, USA - JAN 20, 2015
Draft to taster. Looks solid; a transparent gold with foamy white head. Smells semi-sweet with notes of what seem like Belgian yeast alongside some mild clove. Tastes like it smells with a medium-bodied mouthfeel. Of touch of hoppy bitterness. Not bad, but gimmicky and underwhelming.

rosenbergh (11532) - Tampere, FINLAND - JAN 9, 2015
22 oz bottle. Courtesy of olio. Cheers! Cloudy golden colour with a tiny off-white head. Belgian yeast, hops, mild bitterness and spices in the aroma. Hops, mild bitterness, mild yeast, spices and malt in the flavour. Quite nice yet one-dimensional and easy American Belgian style brew. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

olio (10290) - Tampere, FINLAND - JAN 9, 2015
65 cl bottle @ rosenbergh. BBE 04/2015 (importer sticker)
Pours golden color with a large head. Quite spicy aroma, some hops, yeast and some orange. Fruity flavor, some mild hoppy notes, somewhat sweet malts and yeast. Pleasant mouth feel, a bit too simple though.

Lunkie (1937) - Glen Iris, AUSTRALIA - DEC 26, 2014
Herbal hop spice malt aroma. Clear Amber colour good head and lacing. Malt spice citrus floral flavour. Smooth palate.