overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 208   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Originally brewed and bottled for the 2001 National Craft Brewers Conference-a private bottling & release with no distribution. A second batch, Charlie Redux was brewed with very limited distribution. 2005 is the hat-trick batch, Charlie 1981 returns for a third time as part of John's Locker Stock!

Charlie 1981 is an unfiltered strong ale, it exhibits massive bitterness and a firm malt backbone. Hedonistic! Brewed using Pale Malt, Munich and Crystal 40 malts, Horizon, Sterling and Amarillo Hops. Estimated measurements are: 18.2 degrees Plato (OG), 3.5 Degrees Plato (TG), 75 IBU's, 8.5% ABV. Prost!

Charlie 1981 is named in honor of Charlie Papazian, president of the Association of Brewers, founder of the American Homebrewers Association and homebrewing guru. John Maier, Brewmaster for Rogue Ales, made his first batch of beer in 1981 using Papazian's influential book "The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing."

TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 7, 2002
Draft- The description says 'not for the faint of heart' and they are right. This is one powerful hop experience that I did not enjoy. The guy next to me at the bar seemed to enjoy it but it was way too over the top for me. Maybe my beer palate has not evolved enough to appreciate this type of beer so I'll stay away for now.

DrD (61) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - FEB 11, 2007
A reminder of the relationship between expectation and evaluation. Love Rogue. Love strong ales. This isn’t Rogue’s best. This also is most certainly not a strong ale. My pint was much closer to a slightly-more-robust-than-average IPA--a decent IPA. It began with a pleasingly soft mouthfeel, had a refreshing grapefruit (and other citrus) topnote, and finished with an ideal degree of dryness. All in all, though, it was too simple and far too thin...especially for a "strong ale"....? (tap, Brew Kettle, 2/9/07)

crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - FEB 10, 2007
Amber pour, almost no head. What the hell was this I seriously thought they messed my order up. More of a pale ale nothing but a blast of hops mostly grapefruit, what a dissapointment. Maybe a slight and I mean slight sweetness from the malts, then a kick in the ass from more bitter ass hops.

beachbum25 (1092) - Powellville, Maryland, USA - JUL 22, 2007
On tap-poured an orange color w/a moderate head. Definite hop aroma. Overpowering hop flavor which lacked depth & balance, really tasted more like an IPA to me (and a bad one at that). I didn’t get any real malt character @ all. Strong, bitter finish, alcohol was evedent.