overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 3813   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Dead Guy is a German-style Maibock made with Rogues proprietary "PacMan" ale yeast. It is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish. Dead Guy is created from Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan malts, along with Perle and Saaz Hops.
In the early 1990s Dead Guy Ale was created as a private tap sticker to celebrate the Mayan Day of the Dead (November 1st, All Souls Day) for Casa U Betcha in Portland, Oregon. The Dead Guy design proved popular and was incorporated into a bottled product a few years later with MaierBock as the elixir.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jdjuice (498) - Kumamoto, JAPAN - OCT 27, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2008 Bottle of White Crane Ale. Kind of crappy, Japan-macro like aroma. Taste is a bit surprising, a bit better than the aroma led me to believe. Strong but not overpowering hops, an interesting sweetness and nice mellowness make this a pretty interesting and drinkable beer. Not bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ELPADRINO (70) - The Woodlands, Texas, USA - OCT 26, 2005
Pours a red-orange color with a quarter inch head. Aroma is a blend of hops and citrus. Flavor is similar to smell. A good balance of hops with a fruity back end. I also detect nutmeg riding the back of an acoholic twinge. Despite the higher alcohol content, this beer is smooth through the finish. A good bock overall. Lots of bold flavors to explore. I actually drank a full one first before writing the review on the second bottle. Im sure Ill find more to explore on the third.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
FistFullOfCats (163) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - OCT 25, 2005
This has become the standard by which I judge all ales. Perhaps not spectacular, but still pretty great, it will leave you coming back for more and more. When I think ale (as vague as that term is) this is what I think of. Not for everybody, but everybody should try it at least once.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
gdoak (23) - Illinois, USA - OCT 24, 2005
wow, this has a ton of ratings. anyway, ive had this in 12 oz. bottles, 64 oz. jugs, and on tap. Though I havent had a huge number of mai bocks, this is my favorite. a little sweetness, nice color.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
shanereid (75) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - OCT 24, 2005
To be honest... this was overrated the first time I tried it but it grew on me after that. I found myself wanting to buy it again. It had that dry, light caramel taste that I wa slooking for. That said, it is not -fantastic- but drinkable again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
brettpace (176) - New York City, New York, USA - OCT 23, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2007 A good beer, but a bit overrated. Based on my friends telling me how good it was I was expecting something better. I am a huge fan of Rogue beers too, but i prefer their other beers to this.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Veeve (312) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - OCT 19, 2005
out of the bottel pours a slightly murky amber hue. A lazy circle of white foam serves as a head. Smell is very strong of hops, grass, pepper and corn. the pepper makes my nose tingle. Tastes of burnt toast, grass and honey. The mouthfeel is silky but of substantial weight. The aftertaste is bread and the pepper remains in your nose. overall a very interesting combination of yeast, malts, hops and other ingredients, but the pepper is too overwhelming. AND it finishes way too dry!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Scubatrip (610) - Annandale, Virginia, USA - OCT 19, 2005
Pours a hazy coppery color from the bottle, head lasts long enough. Aromas of corn and a hint of caramel. You can taste the caramel, finishes lightly bitter and dry. Not too bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 19, 2005
The beer that, seems to me, sells so well that Rogues been able to pfutz around and bring us some very satisfying beer. Deep amber color. Surprisingly sweet the first time. Lip-smacking good. But tempered well with the hops. Always a good choice. (Apologies to Sam Adams.)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - OCT 19, 2005
No, it doesnt much resemble a German bock, but its Rogue! This is obviously a rebellious American interpretation of the bock tradition, with tasty results. Drinkable, rich, dare I say non-offensive? Great for drinking a couple in a bar with friends, and of course, Dead Guy is always a conversation starter, or Halloween-season-appropriate (or Memorial-Day-appropriate, for that matter)