overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 3846   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Dead Guy is a German-style Maibock made with Rogue’s proprietary "PacMan" ale yeast. It is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish. Dead Guy is created from Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan malts, along with Perle and Saaz Hops.
In the early 1990s Dead Guy Ale was created as a private tap sticker to celebrate the Mayan Day of the Dead (November 1st, All Souls Day) for Casa U Betcha in Portland, Oregon. The Dead Guy design proved popular and was incorporated into a bottled product a few years later with MaierBock as the elixir.

AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - FEB 8, 2005
Pours amber/red with thin dissipating head. Aroma is mild and slight grass and carmel and grass notes. Flavor is sweet alcohol, reminds me of a malt liquor. Finish is sweet. Nice medium body.

jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - FEB 8, 2005
Interesting...a bock made with ale yeast. Nice dark amber, small cararmel colored head. Smooth body. Sweet taste but with some diacetyl, might be an old bottle. But it is one sweet bottle. I gave it to my hippie friend who has a bunch of blacklights.

erod61 (31) - Bangor WI, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 7, 2005
Wow! I think that I have found my favorite session beer. Some of you may disagree, but what a full sexy head and enticing malty aroma in my Guinness Draft glass. Smooth and great to look at. I love this beer. Too bad it’s hard to get here in Western Wisconsin.

euserphriendly (167) - Holland, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 7, 2005
Malty, rich, and hearty. This beer will sneak up on you and knock you out. A good bock by the people at Rogue.

Jonathan3584 (323) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 7, 2005
Amber ale trying to be a bock. It’s fine. Nothing special. Roasty finish separates it from other American Ambers I’ve had. Not worth the price, but if it’s a domestic night in a bar, give it a shot.

jgseley (7) - California, USA - FEB 3, 2005 does not count
Dead Guy’s an old favorite, always solid, one of the only lagers worth the time, and best enjoyed at the Newport Wine & Seafood Festival- Gratefully deadicated to the rogue in all of us...

primusville (3) - USA - FEB 2, 2005 does not count
Probably my favorite beer from Rogue. Could be my favorite beer of all time. I like the smell of it just as much as the taste.

MayorQuimby (100) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - FEB 1, 2005
Bottle. Copper color, not much head nor lacing on my glass. Aroma is a bit yeasty, some malt, honey, good balance. Flavor is gently malty, sweet, nutty, some honey, hops, and you can really taste the yeast, which is interesting because they use an ale yeast for this. Good mouthfeel for a lager, light and smooth. Another solid Rogue beer.

wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - FEB 1, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2005 Poured a nice dark brown with a creamy head. Impressive to look at. Looked like Santa’s Special Ale. However the taste was another story. The taste was way to sour consisting of too much honey for my personal taste. Probably won’t have this one again.

hopdog (12341) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 1, 2005
On tap. Poured a medium to darker mahogany color with a tan head. Aromas and tastes of malts, nuts, caramel, and a little fruity. Sweet with a hoppy balance to the taste.