overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 3719   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Dead Guy is a German-style Maibock made with Rogue’s proprietary "PacMan" ale yeast. It is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish. Dead Guy is created from Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan malts, along with Perle and Saaz Hops.
In the early 1990s Dead Guy Ale was created as a private tap sticker to celebrate the Mayan Day of the Dead (November 1st, All Souls Day) for Casa U Betcha in Portland, Oregon. The Dead Guy design proved popular and was incorporated into a bottled product a few years later with MaierBock as the elixir.

shoeshineboy (81) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - AUG 8, 2004
Definitely a strange bock. Tons of flavor loads of sweetness. The Caramel smell was over powering and was dominate in the flavor as well. Sweetness was quickly dissolved and my tongue was slapped with a refreshing blast of hoppy bitterness at the end. If nothing else its mulitude of interesting flavors is reason enough to sample this Rogue brew.

brewshthereen (316) - Oregon, USA - AUG 8, 2004
I have had this many times and I just realized I haven’t rated it.....yet. Poured a beautiful amber with a soft white head. Malty, carmel aroma. Soft and chewy. Toffee, honey flavors. More malt than hops. However, there is a nice biting finish. A bit thin but still a solid beer.

Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 7, 2004
Golden copper color with rich white head...smells very malty...tastes sweet and nutty with a hoppy finish to balance the sweetness...weird candy aftertaste that stuck around for a while...

RichardWilding (201) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - AUG 7, 2004
650ml Bottle. Copper coloured with pale, creamy head. Malty aroma, robust flavour. Malty and a hint of nutiness. A good dose of hops, but not as much as most IPAs. Fairly sweet, possibly caramel, flavour. Good, my first Rogue brew, and certainly not my last.

kyzr (1607) - Montana, USA - AUG 4, 2004
Nice amber color, solid head from bottle pour. Aromas of sweet malt. Flavor was a good balance between the hops and malt.

SpockTheater (49) - Louisiana, USA - JUL 31, 2004
I’ve not had many of the Western hoppy brews so I decided to give this one a shot. WOW!! I think that I found myself a great summer brew. The hops were full but not as over the edge like their Santa Ale. Really a great balance. Touch of fruit and a slightly bitter finish. I’ll have to pick some more up the next time I’m doing pizza. YUM!!

dthmtldgn (32) - barrington, New Jersey, USA - JUL 26, 2004
not a bad beer. very unique bottle. i remember having this about a month ago, and liking it. it was definetly unique

barenada (211) - Georgetown, Indiana, USA - JUL 26, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2005 I really liked this stuff, which was weird because Rogue’s beers are usually too over-the-top for me. This was a mild tasting ale that went down quite good and didn’t seem too high in alcohol.

bierchik (95) - lakewood, California, USA - JUL 26, 2004
redish brown hue, very light head, slight sweetness at first, hoppy,ends w/ a bitter taste, a good beer, but can’t drink to much of it, probably tastes better on tap, next time...

davidflores99 (225) - Signal HIll, California, USA - JUL 26, 2004
Brownish amber color, malty aroma, very tasty beer imo, with hints of malts and a little sweentess, it’s a very nice beer to relax to.