overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 3719   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Dead Guy is a German-style Maibock made with Rogue’s proprietary "PacMan" ale yeast. It is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish. Dead Guy is created from Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan malts, along with Perle and Saaz Hops.
In the early 1990s Dead Guy Ale was created as a private tap sticker to celebrate the Mayan Day of the Dead (November 1st, All Souls Day) for Casa U Betcha in Portland, Oregon. The Dead Guy design proved popular and was incorporated into a bottled product a few years later with MaierBock as the elixir.

pineypower (3350) - Ocean County, New Jersey, USA - JUN 23, 2004
Pours a reddish amber color with a small head. It has a sweet hoppy aroma that carries over into the taste. It has a good hoppy/fruity flavor.

slimweebs (164) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JUN 21, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2004 Had a glass of this beer on tap at a local bar. This has wonderful flavor. By the name of the beer, I expected a harsher flavor, but it is very sweet, dominated by a malty flavor, but has just enough hops to balance it out. Has a lower carbonation level than most beers, but it fits with the sweet flavor. This beer is really good. Re-Rate: Had a couple of bottles, and compared to tap it was not nearly as good. It seemed to lose a lot of the sweet flavor I loved so much when I had it on tap. It's still a good beer, but not worth paying an extra 2 dollars per 6-pack, which is how much more it costs than most microbrews. I'm lowering my rating on flavor and overall score because of the bottle tasting.

1.2
MrBeerUSA (40) - HorseShoe, North Carolina, USA - JUN 21, 2004
Just another perfect name by my buddies at Rogue Ales. My only question is how long did they let the dead guy float in it? Embalming fluid would have been a good name too. Not good period. End of story.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - JUN 21, 2004
It was August of 2003 when I saw a bottle of this beer. Being into skulls and grim Reapers and such, the bottle intrigued me. I purchased one and enjoyed it. That got me back into beer. Ten months and over 700 beers later, I’m drinking from a growler of this. The reddish amber color and the small beige head are not impressive. The aroma is sweet, caramel, fruity. An ambrosia. The mouthfeel is not impressive. Rather thin. Some fizz. The flavor is sweetish, malty. Very appealing and satisfying. A very good drink. Rogue has great beer and while this isn’t among their best, it is certainly a very good one and something to get into and enjoy.

ilovetrappist (23) - Round Rock, Texas, USA - JUN 17, 2004
Pours a light brown reddish hue with a quick dissapating head. Smells like hops and honey. Flavor tastes of caramel and hops. Its refreshing on the palate with some tingle on the tongue. Good refreshing beer that is very even.

Dansting (222) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - JUN 16, 2004
One of my favorite beers when I have the extra cash. And I’m never let down after having it.

shadey (2171) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 15, 2004
hoppy aroma. Red pour with a very quick disappearing head. The hops continue through the flavor. Actually hops is about the only thing I could taste. I am still not so sure about the Oregon OBSESSION with hops. This beer isn’t so bad, but many are ruined by the excessive hops.

jon112981 (327) - Bristow, Virginia, USA - JUN 15, 2004
Very hoppy for a bock. Goes down easy but then the hops kick you later. Nice dark homey/brown hue. Flavor opens up nicely when poured. Nice bitter finish following a smooth sweet taste.

GrainBeltGuzzler (249) - Goodhue, Minnesota, USA - JUN 15, 2004
No bock should have this much hops, people when will you realize that hops are best when used in extreme moderation.

robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - JUN 12, 2004
Honey Brown Coloring. Hoppy Aroma. Hops on the tongue. Easy / Smooth to drink.