overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Brown Ale
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2656   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   IBU: 33   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Dark brown in color with a hazelnut aroma, a rich nutty flavor and a smooth malty finish. Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale is a blend of Great Western 2-row Pale, Munich, Hugh Baird Brown, Crystal 80 and Crystal 135, Carastan, and Beeston Pale Chocolate malts; hazelnut extract; Perle and Saaz hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
iowaherkeye (2703) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - JAN 21, 2007
22oz bomber, no date. Pours a slightly hazy brown with ruby highlights and a slowly fading beige head. Aroma has quite a bit of hazelnuts, some bready malts, a bit of yeast and grassy hops. Flavor is much the same with some roasty malts coming through as well. There was some slight acidity toward the finish. Some sweetness noted. Medium bodied with low carbonation, smooth body. The only other hazelnut beer Ive had was the Berghoff, and this is better--much better. Was impressed with this.

Raphu83 (7) - New York, New York, USA - JAN 20, 2007 does not count
This is a great Oregon beer, excellent longevity of flavors, has been hard to find in Chicago. I would suggest stopping by the Rogue brewery if one had the chance.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MrBendo (1064) - Swedesboro, New Jersey, USA - JAN 17, 2007
Hazy deep red/brown with a medium head. No lacing. Aroma is hazelnuts and roasted malts, chocolate malts and a little vanilla. Im really surprised that more brewers arent using hazelnuts, because this tastes terrific. Rich and creamy. But its very sweet. Probably not a session beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bendz1 (87) - Ankeny, Iowa, USA - JAN 14, 2007
I liked this one. Has a good hazelnut flavor along with some chocolate notes. Nice sweet but not too sweet beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Blom (837) - Odense, DENMARK - JAN 10, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 12, 2009 Bottle: 650 ml. Dark brown (reddish) Fine creamy head. An amazing malty beer with a flavor and taste of caramel, nougat, white chocholate and hazel nuts (of course). Some may criticize it for lacking bitterness and hoppy character, but I think its perfect as a sweet not bitter brown ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
thefederalist (307) - Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA - JAN 10, 2007
I must have not been drinking the same brew as everybody else. Draught. Dark brown, no head. Pleasant nutty aroma. Flavor is sweet and pungent with an offensive quality I cant discribe. Syrupy mouthfeel. I took three drinks of this and decided I couldnt drink it any more. My friend drank the rest and loved it but I must say I was dissapointed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
loseratheart (110) - USA - JAN 8, 2007
Dark brown ale with a golden tan head that dissolves quickly. Taste of dark chocolate, almond, and obviously hazelnut. This beer definitely reminds me of an iced hazelnut coffee, maybe even a little mocha. I like the uniqueness of the taste, but cant decide if Im a fan or if it is just something different

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MadIndian (2743) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 7, 2007
Bottled. Another good beer by rogue. Ruby color with brown thin head. Chocolate / nut and roasted aromas were detected. A little thin in the body but a smooth nutty taste with a hint of sweetness. Good brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
tomthompson89 (1982) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 4, 2007
nice brown colour, some head. nutty nose light carbonation found it slightly bland. one of my least favourite rogue beers. at joes

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MaxxDaddy (415) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JAN 3, 2007
22 oz. bottle. As soon as I took my first taste of this one, I knew it was unique among the brown ales Ive tried. Poured a nice dark brown with a good portion of tan head. The aroma seemed somewhat subdued, with slight nuttiness in the nose. But the taste! After letting it sit on my tongue for a second or two, I was hit with an enormous sweet hazelnut flavor; it was unreal. Definitely the strongest flavor Ive experienced in a beer. After the initial hazelnut punch, some coffee made an appearance on the back of my tongue. The finish was smooth and malty. Though Rogue suggests serving this beer with pork or beef, I must disagree. I think this beer is too sweet to mesh well with dinner. Id personally prefer it with dessert. I just wish the aroma was more assertive.