overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Brown Ale
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2579   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   IBU: 33   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Dark brown in color with a hazelnut aroma, a rich nutty flavor and a smooth malty finish. Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale is a blend of Great Western 2-row Pale, Munich, Hugh Baird Brown, Crystal 80 and Crystal 135, Carastan, and Beeston Pale Chocolate malts; hazelnut extract; Perle and Saaz hops.

slimchill (1044) - Austin, Texas, USA - MAR 29, 2007
Bottle. Nose is caramel, hazelnut, chocolate, and maybe a hint of raspberry. Pours a beautiful brown-amber with a quickly settling head, but heavy and intense carbonation. Flavor is intense, dark chocolate and hazelnut. Sweet but well balanced. Palate is smooth with a nice crisp finish.

CheersMate (1343) - Portland (Sellhood), Oregon, USA - MAR 28, 2007
Too thin for me. I wish this were a bit thicker. I wasn’t as impressed with this beer, as I have been with some of Rogue’s beers. This aroma really doesn’t com out until you let the beer a warm a bit. After that, you can smell nuts. The color is a dark brown, that looks really nice, and serves a Hazelnut beer right. I could taste the nutty flavor. It opens up in your mouth like crazy. This was the same experience I had with the chocolate stout. The flavor is impressive. I wouldn’t say it is too sweet. I mean come on we’re talking about Hazelnut Ale here. The palate did not impress me. Rogue has the opportunity to make better beers that are full of flavor, yet I am constantly disappointed by the thin consistency of their beers. I must say though that Rogue often impresses me with their willingness to experiment with new flavors. O.K. beer, but nothing to go wet your pants over.

brianjames1 (539) - Northridge, California, USA - MAR 22, 2007
UPDATED: APR 24, 2010 re-rate. Pours brown with small white head. Sweet aroma. Thin mouthfeel with moderate carbo. Very sweet flavor and not much left on the palet, used to like this beer.

muenster (345) - Sevierville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 19, 2007
A beer I have drank many times, but somehow have not rated. Well, here’s to changing that: Bottle, pours dark brown with a tight medium sized tan head. The aroma is sweet malts, hazelnuts, and a hop presence that is nicely placed. Flavor is again sweet caramel malts, chocolate, the hazelnut factor, and a nice Euro hop tinge finishes it out. This could be one of the best beers to introduce newbies into the world of craft brewing.

browndog801 (5) - Yardley, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 18, 2007 does not count
Nice dark brown appearance. Moderate nutty taste little bit of coffee flavor. Creamy lasting head. Overall very enjoyable.

Quietman (173) - Florida, USA - MAR 16, 2007
UPDATED: APR 13, 2007 Bottle.Dark brown.tan head.Sweet,nutty aroma.Caramel,brown sugar flavors apparent.Very enjoyable,not to sweet.Well done.

gwpom (298) - Akron, New York, USA - MAR 15, 2007
I’m always leary of flavors that aren’t the norm, but this one held out nicely. I do love hazelnuts, and hazelnut coffee, but beer? I had my reservations. However the aroma and flavor were definitive yet not overwhelming, the nutty malty flavor a nice compliment. Dark brown, solid firm head, nutty malty flavor. Excellent beer.

jlesage (13) - Austin, Texas, USA - MAR 11, 2007
As you would hope, the hazelnut is apparent in the smell. The ale is dark brown and after pouring it, I was drawn to the color. Delicious flavors, incredible taste, this is what beer is about.

mcclenw (36) - Stevenson, Alabama, USA - MAR 8, 2007
Pours a fantastic dark brown color. Aroma is indeed hazelnut----smells much like amaretto, very nice. Flavor is choc., nut, caramel-----just unbelievable. Nice and strong brew. Will drink this one again soon.

thebrownbomber (6) - Walker, Michigan, USA - MAR 6, 2007 does not count
The hazelnut aroma is the perfect complement to the delightful chocolate/carmel/cofee flavors. Great full body with a lingering malty finish.This beer is an experience that you owe yourself. Hands down my favorite beer at the moment.