overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Brown Ale
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2660   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   IBU: 33   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Dark brown in color with a hazelnut aroma, a rich nutty flavor and a smooth malty finish. Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale is a blend of Great Western 2-row Pale, Munich, Hugh Baird Brown, Crystal 80 and Crystal 135, Carastan, and Beeston Pale Chocolate malts; hazelnut extract; Perle and Saaz hops.

grimreeser (797) - Minnesota, USA - MAY 6, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2007 Small head that disappeared quickly. Caramel and nut aroma. Chocolate and nutty flavor that lingers. A little bit of toffee flavor on the end. Slightly creamy with no carbonation.

schwaiger (90) - Laramie, Wyoming, USA - MAY 5, 2006
A zinger. 22 oz bottle. Pours a very clear saddle leather brown in your glass with an off-white, fizzy head diminishing fairly quickly. When held to the sun the brew becomes beet reddish - kind of purple even. This brown has an awesome, beautiful nose with the most immediately recognizeable aromas of cinnamon, hazelnut, and maple syrup. There’s also definately some deep orange in there; maybe some clove too. More beer huffing reveals a malty, doughy bread aroma. I’m excited to taste this. My first gulp is bliss, so I forget to take notes and finish half the bottle. Predominant flavors of dark chocolate, maple, and honey and a perfect balance of the sweet and tart. Nice, full, creamy body with soft carbonation and a long, lightly bitter finish that left me smiling without realizing it. Not a trace of alcohol in the smell or taste. I gulped down the second half of the bottle and made a note to buy a couple more cases. Caressingly smooth and infinitely satisfying - this is the best beer I’ve had all morning.

piscator34 (2510) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - MAY 1, 2006
Dark brown in colour with medium carbonation, but poor head retention. Malty aromas, along with the typical Rogue pacman yeasty touch. Initial flavors of munich malts and a bit of soft fruit give way to the more drying chocolate malt and nut flavors. I think it’s more sesame than hazelnut. There’s a bit of a sour twang on the finish that I didn’t really like.

WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 30, 2006
Hazy, rather than cloudy, dark reddish brown. Principal note in the nose is indeed hazelnuts. Taste is sour brown, and with so many kinds of malts I think muddied Mahler rather than symphonic Beethoven. Not so much complex as unfocused. Thin and dry in the mouth. Better than the sub-elements makes it sound, but not my favorite from Rogue.

DuffMan (10270) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - APR 30, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 21, 2007 Clear nut-brown, modest tan head. Sweet and toasty, nutty caramel and shortbread cookie aromas. Big nutty character up front, a little milk chocolate, lots and lots of caramel malt flavour. Thoroughly enjoyable with a high density of flavour makes this one of the best brown ales I’ve ever tried (can Rogue do no wrong?).

TrevorFloyd (309) - Connecticut, USA - APR 28, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2006 Not as creamy as I expected, a little bit more bite, but the hazelnut flavor is phenomenal. It comes through strong but it doesn’t overpower, and it’s just as sweet and tasty as the name suggests. I wish it were creamier, but it’s still delicious.

Nejhleader (1550) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 26, 2006
nice almost creamy brown ale with a strong bite of hazelnut? I don’t know some sort of spice. kinda tasted like licorice to me. Any way pretty good for the style.

pstorvik (60) - Tennessee, USA - APR 25, 2006
Pint on tap. I’ll need to rerate this at a later time but I was quite disappointed with this higly rated beer. The initial sips were very medicinal - It was like the beer wench had dosed it with Robitussin. After I made it through about a third of the glass the cough syrup taste was gone and I was left with a too sweet, strangely hopped brown that to me didn’t resemble a brown in any way but the color. It was OK.

SunSkates (47) - Arkansas, USA - APR 23, 2006
Dark red with a light head. The Yeasty fruity/apple aroma reminds me of belgian beers. A slight hint of hazelnut in the aroma. Intense sweetness as if some kind of juice was added (apple juice?) Juicy fruit and spicy finish with some nuttiness. Full bodied and a bit sticky but still pleasant. Different but good.

shiroakuma (11) - Brea, California, USA - APR 22, 2006
In the bottle, nutty aroma. Pours a thin creamy head. Sweet, nutty flavor. simply one of the best brown ales out there.