overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Brown Ale
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2604   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   IBU: 33   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Dark brown in color with a hazelnut aroma, a rich nutty flavor and a smooth malty finish. Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale is a blend of Great Western 2-row Pale, Munich, Hugh Baird Brown, Crystal 80 and Crystal 135, Carastan, and Beeston Pale Chocolate malts; hazelnut extract; Perle and Saaz hops.

drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JUL 24, 2002
I must admit, I was expecting a bit more from all of the hype surrounding this beer, but if I were to rate it purely by style this ranks quite high among brown ales I've had. The hops are surprisingly apparent (considering the IBU is only 33) and the malt is nice and mellow. The really cool thing about this beer though is the hazelnut extract. At first I was wondering where it was, but as the beer neared room temp it became increasingly apparent. The hazelnut sits on the palate in a starchy bittery kind of cloying that really adds to the appeal of this brown ale. Very good indeed.

NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - JUL 23, 2002
650 ml bottle. I really don't know what to think about this one. I know its a Rogue, but it seems pretty harsh for a brown, at least by my experiences. Complex nose, yes, but there's a nasty lingering bitterness (not hoppy bitterness) reminiscent of bad coffee from a truck stop. I'm likely to resample though, due all of the other stellar reviews.

Tom Servo (424) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUL 22, 2002
This is great stuff. Better than Newcastle, and that's saying something. Light nutty/coffee flavor, and a bit of hops. A winner.

MartinT (10239) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 7, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2003 Ever had crème de hazelnut?...Interesting dry bitterness amongst the lactic, chocolate malt and huge, glittering hazelnut peels...Cherry wine surfaces once in a while as ashes cling to the nuts...These guys rarely compomise and do it very well...

PhillyBeer2112 (2940) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - JUN 26, 2002
Soft chocolate and caramel malt sweetness up front, followed by a dry, non-bitter finish, with nutty overtones. Aroma is light with chocolate and hazelnuts. Easy drinking, and not as sweet as you might expect from something called 'nectar' - but the nut flavors make it something not to do too much of.

MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 22, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2004 Beautiful cloudy brown color with a decent tan head that leaves a nice lacing in the glass. Chocolate and hazelnut aromas, chocolate and nutty flavors as well with a nice nutty sweetness, medium bodied with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel, finishes with a lingering sweetness.

Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - JUN 19, 2002
UPDATED: APR 4, 2003 This beer poured out a nice very dark amber color with a tan head, that did subside with some lace. Nice faint malt smell to it. Slight hazelnut smell to it, some coffee aroma to it. The flavor is what hits you. Because of the hazelnut, you would have to put this not only as a brown ale, but a spice beer. The hazelnut taste was very good and quite pronounced. It was so heavy with that taste, you wonder if that adds to the body to it as well as the mouthfeel. Good flavor, but the strong hazelnut and carmel aspects to this might throw some. Worth checking out.

baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 8, 2002
Perfection on draft. I would not make this my everyday brown ale -- that's Newcastle -- because I want the act of drinking it to retain a special aura. They are not kidding when they call Rogue Hazelnut a nectar (of the gods, as the rest of the phrase goes). 6/7/2002 update: Slightly less of a knock-out bottled (although still very impressive). I'm taking the 'Overall Impression' down a couple of notches because of that. But what beer isn't better on draft?

krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - JUN 6, 2002
bottle brown with garnet highlights, dense tan head that would be at home atop any stout. typical of a rogue, the aroma is almost visibly radiating with it's masterful melange of malts. just to hazard an offbeat impression, i'd suggest it has a resemblance in bouquet to hot fudge on coffee ice cream. once on the tongue that flavoring additive asserts itself, and while it does harmonize with the malt choir, it might be a shade too loud for people like me in the front row. as i've remarked about other skillfully orchestrated flavored beers, i'd love to taste this identical product without an ingredient which is probably more of a marketing device than a brewing refinement. that said, it works, it's sweet and full bodied amid a creamy maple, desert beverage flavor. i concur that it warms charmingly, and the big bottle allows us that leisure. plenty of hop in the finish. could be the perfect beer to accompany a fine cigar. maestro maier makes my life better.

cathcacr (650) - Washington, USA - MAY 31, 2002
Comment added yet again, 5/31: All that said, I've got to downgrade it back to 4.2. Love it, but isn't exactly quite as rich as I'd really love it to be. Comment added 5/16/02: This stuff has grown on me. Love the stuff, and can hardly stop drinking it. It kicks butt. Makes me look forward with great anticipation putting it up against Boyne River Brown in a taste test. Only question: will I possibly be sober by the end?

Orignal 1/25/02 comments, giving the beer a 4.2 rating:

I haven't been a big fan of brown ales, but I bought this on the strength of Rogue's reputation (with me, most importantly) for making quality brews, and as usual, Rogue doesn't disappoint. I do like this one better than Newcastle and Sam Smith's. Pretty mild taste- and aroma-wise, and tastes just how I think a brown ale should taste. More richness comes out in the taste and aroma when it warms up, so for maximum effect and enjoyment, you should let this warm up from refrigerator temperature before you drink it. (Myself, I enjoyed it more and more as it got warmer, so it's a good lesson for next time I have one.) Just a pleasant drink that goes down nice and smooth. And quite nice was the fact that Rogue put this in a brown bottle rather than the clear ones. No skunking much less any suspicious traces of it. Newcastle and Sam Smith should take a hint.