overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Brown Ale
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2589   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   IBU: 33   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Dark brown in color with a hazelnut aroma, a rich nutty flavor and a smooth malty finish. Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale is a blend of Great Western 2-row Pale, Munich, Hugh Baird Brown, Crystal 80 and Crystal 135, Carastan, and Beeston Pale Chocolate malts; hazelnut extract; Perle and Saaz hops.

ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - APR 24, 2002
This brew pours a deep ruby brown. The large tan head is creamy, frothy and very dense. The head is mostly lasting and has good lacing. The bold aroma is stellar. When I'm long dead and burning in hell, they are going to have me chained to the wall with one of these under my nose for me to whiff on for all eternity -with no hope of actually drinking it. Hazelnuts dominate in addition to caramel, mild coffee, flowers, cheese, prunes, toffee, butterscotch, honey, and spices galore. The flavor is also stellar. It is warm, rich, complex, and very balanced. Again hazelnuts dominate with coffee & toffee, spices, honey and some chocolate. The long balanced finish is very clean. The creamy body is medium to full with a very crisp fizzy carbonation that supplies plenty of bite. This brew is almost porter speed. Rogue Ales is quickly becoming my favorite Micro-Brewery.

AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - APR 22, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2003 RE-RATE: Couldn't find this stuff again until I went to the Flying Saucer in Houston last weekend. Loved it again, especially the smoky taste, and had to up it a little bit. I also believe that this beer can bring you good luck. ORIG RATING 4/22/02: 9-5-8-5-16: Incredible!! How can a taste have such prominent hazelnut and honey without ruining it being beer? By far the best nut brown I've ever had, I'm having another next time I'm out. Toffe/caramel is also in the taste. A complex blend of sweetness. Nectar is a good word to describe it, too. Okay, away from the incredible taste, it's also got a handsome brown color, and the nose is as good as how it is on your tongue. Classic.

AleHole99 (12) - Wheaton, Illinois, USA - APR 22, 2002
Holy smokes! This one's a true champion. Nutty, nutty. It's got it all, folks. Best nut brown.

PTomkinson (50) - Virginia, USA - APR 20, 2002
Quite impressive. The hazelnut flavoring is present. Sweet and malty. As I recall, not to much hop presence. My brother would enjoy this beer.

Volgon (2761) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 28, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2003 Pours a dark brown color with a bit of orange. Hazelnut aroma backed by sweet malts. Firm bodied and ends sweet. Hmmm...nutty and buttery.

Andrew196 (1993) - Katy, Texas, USA - MAR 22, 2002
A very complex brew. I got a lot out of this beer the more I drank it. I tasted the nuttiness right off the bat, but the more I drank it, the more I got fruits and sweetness out of it. The malts brought out a brown sugar taste...which balanced the hops nicely. Very good beer to end the night with if you are on the town.

MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - MAR 21, 2002
Fantastic beer. Brillant aroma accompanied by beautiful color and wonderful taste. Really appreciated how well the sweet yet measured hoppiness produced a wonderful flavor. Neither overly sweet nor overly hoppy. Have been very impressed with Rouge beers so far.

BeerLimey (2155) - California, USA - MAR 15, 2002
Not the typically Rogue-ish hop fest you might expect. Incredibly decadent dark roasted chocolate, dry hazelnut, sweet toffeeish caramel. Even gained a slight port like character with food. May have lacked a little bitterness in the finish but did a great job without it. I have to say I loved this one.

maija (8) - USA - FEB 18, 2002 does not count
Not really a brown ale. Belongs in the herb and spice catagory. It is hard to drink more than just one.

ttboy8099 (73) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - FEB 7, 2002
Nice and smooth, but not too smooth.........................................