Rogue Honey Cream Ale

Formerly brewed at Rogue Ales
Style: Cream Ale
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 321   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1/5   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Rogue’s Honey Cream Ale is a light, smooth, medium bodied ale, with a creamy head, hints of honey and a crisp light finish. Brewed with two-row Harrington, Klages and Munich malts and Crystal hops.

god's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
god (18) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - APR 24, 2004
So far I have liked every Rouge beer placed before me, and that says a lot considering that there are many beer styles that I just don't persue normally. While they may not be the best examples of every beer style, Rouge's are always pleasent and distinctive. Honey Cream Ale reminds me very much of vanilla cream soda. Light and fizzy with a sweet taste, it goes down easily like soda pop. Sweet, but not thick and overbearing. A great beer to drink on a hot day. It's a good beer to introduce novices to the differnt flavors that can be imparted on craft beers. You can definietly taste the honey, but it's not so strong as to alientate anyone. Perfect execution in my not-even humble opinion. Very pale light blond color, but not pale in flavor. Goes well with salty traditional American foods like hotdogs, hamburgers, nachos, etc... A little to weak to stand up to more complex or flavorful foods like BBQ or cajun though. I pretty much avoid light blond beers, but this one so much reminds me of my favorite soda, vanilla cream, that this might become my regular summer cool-off beer.

gripweed57 (2452) - Hamilton Square, New Jersey, USA - JUL 5, 2017
From old tasting notes. Honey gold color topped by a bubbly white head. Soft sweet floral hop nose. Bittersweet fruity malt flavor is balanced by a crisp biting hoppiness. Long bitter aftertaste.

bhensonb (15188) - Woodland, California, USA - DEC 20, 2014
From the file last updated in 2010. Pours gold. Aroma is hoppy. Flavor is malt and citrus hop.

slowrunner77 (12040) - Reno, Nevada, USA - OCT 16, 2014
"not bad. wasn’t expecting much, but this is quite refreshing. the honey is a nice touch, and of course Rogue won’t make a beer without a generous amount of hops. nice."

jtclockwork (16581) - , New Jersey, USA - MAY 12, 2010
UPDATED: JUL 23, 2016 I miss this one. Pour is yellow in the glass. Nose and taste is sweet honey, buttered toast. Rated 6/17/02 - Original rating 4.3

Beardface (1517) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - NOV 20, 2008
Piss yellow pour and a lot more of a bitter flavor than you’d expect from the style. That’s not necessarily a deterrent for me since I despise cream ales in general, but this one still didn’t quite work out for me.

phishpond417 (2088) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 20, 2008
this beer pours a bright golden colour with a subtley sweet honey aroma. it’s faint, but becomes more noticeable in the taste. a little malty mid palate, finishes with soft hop character.

fidemaster (322) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - APR 19, 2008
I really liked this. It started out sweet, and creamy, and had a very pleasant taste. It has a nice clean, bitter finish. I am surprised this beer hasn’t done better.

daknole (11049) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAR 19, 2008
This beer has such a great name, but the beer itself doesnt live up to the name. Bitter, not honey dominates. Reminds me a bit of the santas private reserve. not so great.

HogTownHarry (6823) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - FEB 24, 2008
Bottle (22oz). Slightly hazy light amber with a 2cm white foamy-frothy head. Dry, papery caramel malt aroma with a hint of herbal/resin bitterness, honey-clover sweetness as it warms. Grassy-honey aroma- quite sweet, but bitter in the tail, smooth, light, vaguely creamy and surprisingly drinkable. Only just okay, but better than I expected.

Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 22, 2008
Pours yellow with a fine white head. Smells of honey, pine resin, some sweet malt. Tastes of citrus, pine resin, pepper, touches of honey. Finish is bitter. This is a far cry from what I’ve come to expect out of a cream ale.