overall

RATINGS: 1368   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 74   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Above and beyond an India Pale Ale--I2PA is radically hopped with an intense aroma and hop bitterness. Unfiltered and aged for 9 months before it leaves the brewery--not for the faint of heart. I2PA is brewed with two-row Pipkin Pale malts, Saaz, Cascade and Northwest Golding hops.

mribm (462) - Ocala, Florida, USA - SEP 18, 2002
One of the greatest beers I've had. Very expensive in my area (@ $20.00 per 6-pack), so it will be only for special occasions. I LOVE hops and this beer proudly displays a ton of them!

VTDeerHunter (50) - Vermont, USA - JUN 4, 2003
Nice, lightly hazy, orange color with a thick head. I can smell the hops from a couple feet away. Rich hoppy aroma, medium body, strong hoppy flavor that stays a long time. It starts bitter sweet, with a lot of flral notes and then fades to just floral. I can definitely pick out Cascade and Saaz hops. Yum! One of the best IPAs I've had so far.

DeadGuyFrank (347) - http://westchesterbeer.com, USA - MAR 19, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2007 Oh my gosh! This is awesome, one of the best if not the best IPA I have ever tasted. Just delicious and just the right amount of extra hopiness. I am usual hestiant to get a double IPA, but this is worth a try everybody - just great!!!!

bbp182 (255) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 27, 2007
The appearance is a hazy, cloudy, light amber/orange. Nice foam and lightish tannish/cream colored foam. The aroma is fruity, citrusy hops. Little maltiness, alcohol sneeks into your nostrile. Bitter aroma also. The taste is WOW! Very BITTER! GREAT, GREAT, GREAT BITTERNESS! Well balanced. Maybe, just maybe [and you can quote me on this] the BEST Imperial IPA I have ever had. Fruity, a little malty, just enough bitter and malt to be perfectly well balanced. Alcohol sneeks in there, but not overwhelming. It sneeks in there. The aftertaste is great and lingers in your mouth. Not a bad bitter, just PERFECT!

Acknud (1082) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - NOV 4, 2007
What can I say? I am going against popular opinion. I rank this among the highest. Great head and lacing. Piney/citrus taste that lingers well. Bottle was cool too.

phikus (96) - syracuse, New York, USA - OCT 28, 2014
This beer is not in front of me right now but I have had this several times, the first being back in 1999 long before I would ever see another imperial IPA. A very unique hop profile with the refreshing quench of the saaz and the cascade pine and earthy EKG, well balanced malt backbone. The recipe may have changed since the commercial listing but I remember that formula well as it was the first beer I tried to copy in a homebrew recipe to achieve those hop flavors. Very unique from what west coast IPA hop profiles are like.