overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Porter
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2398   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58/5   IBU: 54   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Ruddy brown in color, a bittersweet balance of malt and hops with a light cream finish. 12 Ingredients: 2-Row, Munich, C120, Chocolate, Black, Kiln Coffee & Rogue Farms Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Rebel™ & Liberty™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Pacman yeast.
"Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about beer." - Friar Tuck

GrainBeltGuzzler (249) - Goodhue, Minnesota, USA - FEB 7, 2005
I am looking for some salvation. after choking down a schaefer and than a Alex Keith’s IPA (fridge cleaning) I need something half way decent to take that nasty taste of keith out of my mouth. It’s not at cellar temp, but fridge temp will have to do because I can’t wait any longer. looks encouraging, opaque black with a tannish head. tastes of a nice smooth coffee definately what the doctor ordered to make me forget the low points of the evening. kind of has a smokey flavor too. Good beer, thank goodness for rogue

green (186) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 6, 2005
Pours dark brown. Mild very pleasant chocolate aroma. Larger bubbles—dissipates quickly. Biting bitterness on the finish. Think my cold is effecting judgment. Doesn’t seem a complex a Sam Smilth of Fullers. Claims to be “refreshingly light” which seems to be true. A little too biter on the finish, but overall very enjoyable.

DrunkenWeasel (224) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 5, 2005
UPDATED: APR 2, 2005 Pours dark brown with a medium tan head that lasted for awhile. Left thin semi-long lasting lacing. Smelled sweet and hoppy, strong chocolate and coffee overtones. Tasted yummy with a very sweet taste too it, almost too sweet at times. Not a real amazing aftertaste or feel to the beer but not bad either.

willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - FEB 4, 2005
02.03.05 Bomber. Hazed dark brown pour with big, thick, dark tan head leaving light lacing. Aromas are full of coffee, also a bit floral, almost chocolatey but more caramel. It seems a bit old smelling but I can’t find any dating. Plenty of hoppy, sharp, bitterness from front to back and a smooth mouthfeel regardless. Not real roasty where I wish it would be, but there is some caramelized fruitiness that comes across as a burnt taste. Whatever, it seems to be nicely balanced and is rather drinkable. There is a ’Rogue’ flavor to it, for sure.

jtw (1165) - farmington, Michigan, USA - FEB 3, 2005
as i pour it, it looks like a textbook porter; deep brown, tan head. nicely bottle-conditioned. sweet aroma of mostly malt, some chocolate. less coffee than i would expect from something called ’mocha’ but quite enticing anyway. smooth palate, lots of dark caramel-like malts. sticky finish; quite good.

Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - FEB 2, 2005
One of the first brews I had outside swill...almost black appearance, creamy, with sweet malts and roasted chocolate.

badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 1, 2005
black appearance with medium head...strong chocolate nose with coffee and roasted notes; flavor is strong in chocolate with roasted malts, coffee, and a touch of sourness...not a bad porter

balke13 (156) - MIssoula, Montana, USA - JAN 30, 2005
Pours a deep and dark mahogony color with a frothy yet quickly diminishing tan head. Roasted malt and some coffee in the nose...relatively light body with a nice roasted coffee mocha flavor with a subtle hit of chocolately bitterness. Very solid brew.

wpp83 (64) - Athens, Georgia, USA - JAN 24, 2005
You know I was a little surprised by this "porter." The fact is, I didn’t find it very porteresque at all, it reminded me more of a good stout. That aside, the pour was great, deep black with a dark tan head. Aroma of nuts, a smeel which remained true in the flavor, which was predominated by the dry bitter taste of coffee, though it was not without any malty character, however fleeting it was. On the whole I liked this beer, and I know it will find its way to my mouth more times in the future.

davidflores99 (225) - Signal HIll, California, USA - JAN 24, 2005
I liked this brew! Poured a really dark brown, with a small tan head. Aroma was chocolatey, with hints of coffee malts, kinda of a semi sweet aroma. Flavor was great, malty chocolate, coffee, and also a little creamy. Also not too sweet, which I like. This was really good!