Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Porter
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2421   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58/5   IBU: 54   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Ruddy brown in color, a bittersweet balance of malt and hops with a light cream finish. 12 Ingredients: 2-Row, Munich, C120, Chocolate, Black, Kiln Coffee & Rogue Farms Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Rebel™ & Liberty™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water and Pacman yeast.
"Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about beer." - Friar Tuck

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - MAY 20, 2001
Tasted like Rogue Chocolate Stout without the chocolate. Still, a damn good porter.

dolemike1 (1289) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 8, 2001
One of the best aromas of all the beers i have tried. Oh yeah, it has a great coffee and chocolate taste as well. Fair hop finish, but not overpowering. Lovely beer.

Indra (2710) - Suburbia, Kansas, USA - DEC 15, 2000
UPDATED: JAN 12, 2003 Malty aroma with an interesting organic component -- something like flowers and wood, with milk chocolate and very light coffee. Deep ebony color, bottle conditioned with a diminishing tan head. Flavor holds some deeply roasted malt with chocolate sweetness, a hint of coffee and dark bread, and about midpoint the bitter, pronounced hop flavors come in. Finish is dry, roasty, bitter and lightly astringent. Medium bodied. Nicely put together.

opiate (199) - Sandy, Utah, USA - DEC 15, 2000
A very solid beer. Great nose. Great flavor and mouth feel. A great porter. I like my porters smokey and rich, and this fit the bill.

mike mcneil (660) - St Augustine, Florida, USA - NOV 22, 2000
Black as coal and full bodied. Loaded with dark roasted malts with a moderate coffee and dark chocolate flavor profile. Hops linger in background, the malt rules here. Not as big as Shakespear Stout, but a real solid, muscular Porter.

kenk99 (168) - Leonia, New Jersey, USA - OCT 3, 2000
Very tasty!.......................................

roland (38) - Bellevue, Washington, USA - SEP 14, 2000
This is a stong porter. Perhaps this is more personal opinion than 'objective rating' but I find this beer just way too bitter to drink. I have trouble finishing a bottle - in fact, I've given up on a bottle on more than one occasion.

PhillyBeer2112 (2958) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - JUN 19, 2000
UPDATED: OCT 21, 2003 A nice full-bodied and flavorful porter. Nice chocolate hints - but at the same time, very dry, roasty and hopped. Still, I would like this better if it was sweeter and more of a dessert beer. It makes a good aperitif as it is, though. Other: thick, opaque black, huge firm head, perfect thick lace.

jamidwyer99 (49) - Oregon, USA - MAY 31, 2000
Watery and disappointing. Not the two great tastes that taste great together (coffee and Rogue beer) one would expect.

Aubrey (3516) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - MAY 10, 2000
I almost forgot to rate this one. I sampled the Mocha and the Shakespeare Stout on the same night. I guess I was just so blown away by how good the Stout was, I forgot about the Mocha. It was real good too. I was happy that they didn't 'overdo' the chocolate flavor. Just the right amount.