overall
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 957   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
The delicate flavor of our roasted Soba brings a nutty finish to this light and refreshing ale. A perfect accompaniment to lighter cuisine. 8 Ingredients: Malts: Roasted Soba, Harrington, Metcalf, Munich & C-15. Hops: Crystal. Yeast & Water: Rogue’s Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coas tal Water. Specs: 12º PLATO 30 IBU 75 AA 14º Lovibond

beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - DEC 12, 2003
Lightly clouded chistmas bulb yellow (those big fat ones) with a medium egg shell white head of thick froth, fades down slowly to a haze always present and very thick sheets of lace sticking eventually breaking into thin webby strings. Aroma is quite light but has a favorable little wheaty sweetness with a pale, dull munich-like breadish malt backing coming through. Taste has a lovely subtleness of breadish malts, munich and pale malts sit nicely upfront with a low lying sweetness of buckwheat that floats into the finish shining with a carefully placed, lightly grassy hop dryness. There's a subtle little spiced fruityness playing underneath that reminded me of soup broth mixed with squash, pumpkin, red apple, or rhubarb? Boy I could get lost trying to figure out that sweet little spice, what ever it is I like it, fits in there nicely. Great subtle flavors. Nice medium body with a fluffy, lightly wheat filled smoothness going down and subtle finish of dryness and sweeetness that lingers a bit. Its not the usual over-the-top west coast hopped up Rogue brew that some may be used to, but it sure is pleasingly fun to drink. Too bad it was $4.59 at Cellar's per bomber, otherwise I'd pick up more. Rogue prices here in MN are way too spendy. Still a pretty good session brew with a nice subtlity that appeals to me, I must have been in the mood for this or something cuz I usually like a bigger flavor boost, but this grew on me as it went along.

npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - DEC 12, 2003
Malty bready nose. Copper colored with a big white head. Very interessting toasty flavor, dry, with a touch of bitterness. Nutty and almost buttery, it soon gets weird and cloying.

omnivore (270) - San Francisco, California, USA - DEC 7, 2003
Rogue Nation- San Francisco: It looks like Molson in the glass. Nice sweet malty aroma. It's got a very broad palate with a delicate bitter leave.

TogBean (47) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 4, 2003
Ahhh beer night. With a husband and 2 little ones to chase after I don't get to many night to sit and savor yummy beer. This was a nice light start to a night of tastings. The aroma was light and hoppy with a bit of fruit and honey to it. It had a pale amber color with a nice light frothy head. Nice bite of malt on the sides of my tongue but otherwise very simple. This is a good "wash-it-down" kind of beer.

bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - DEC 3, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2003 IRON CHEF MORIMOTO!! This is actually one of the better beers I've had from Rogue. I don't know if it's good enough to represent an Iron Chef, but still pretty decent. Has a bit of a buttery aftertaste, too.

Eyedrinkale (3235) - Astoria, New York, USA - NOV 28, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2004 Sampled as Morimito as well, from the guy from the TV show, Iron Chef. I got it in bottles as well as sampled at GABF. Nice amber color with a shallow bitter aftertaste. 22 oz. is all I would want. Clear golden yellow with thin head. Taste is oranges dipped in honey, however mellowed out a bit.

Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - NOV 26, 2003
I'm not really sure what this is supposed to be. I purchased it under the name "Morimoto." It has a Japanese man and some Japanese characters on the painted label. I guess that soba is buckwheat then. It is a decent ale, sort of Japanese in its essence. It has a clean, clear water effect to it - maybe from the soba or from the "free range coastal waters." But it probably would be nice to have this at a Japanese steakhouse. I wonder if they would let me bring my own in there.

CapFlu (5132) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 25, 2003
(Draught) Sampled at the GBAF 2003. Light almond head and golden body. Hops nose. Flavour of bitter hops - so that is what Crystal hops taste like? Bitter finish.

jgb9348 (6480) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - NOV 17, 2003
Sampled as the Morimoto Soba Ale. Pours a crystal clear amber colour with a dense medium-sized tan head. Aroma of coriander seed, yeast, malt, hops and a bit of sweetness. Light to Medium-bodied; Light flavour of malt, some bittering toastiness and some sweet flavours. Aftertaste very mild and showcasing a few of the malt characteristics and a bit of the hop profile. Overall, a decent beer..but i'm not impressed with this offering from Rogue (pretty much how I feel about all of their beers-even their re-labeled and then re-re-labeled ones). I bought this 65 cL bottle at Wegman's in Pittsford, New York.

Darkover (1543) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 16, 2003
Light cloudy amber color with a small white head. Weak aroma of wheat and hops. Flavor is sweet and tart almost like lemmonade.