overall
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 965   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
The delicate flavor of our roasted Soba brings a nutty finish to this light and refreshing ale. A perfect accompaniment to lighter cuisine. 8 Ingredients: Malts: Roasted Soba, Harrington, Metcalf, Munich & C-15. Hops: Crystal. Yeast & Water: Rogue’s Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coas tal Water. Specs: 12º PLATO 30 IBU 75 AA 14º Lovibond

TogBean (47) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 4, 2003
Ahhh beer night. With a husband and 2 little ones to chase after I don't get to many night to sit and savor yummy beer. This was a nice light start to a night of tastings. The aroma was light and hoppy with a bit of fruit and honey to it. It had a pale amber color with a nice light frothy head. Nice bite of malt on the sides of my tongue but otherwise very simple. This is a good "wash-it-down" kind of beer.

bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - DEC 3, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2003 IRON CHEF MORIMOTO!! This is actually one of the better beers I've had from Rogue. I don't know if it's good enough to represent an Iron Chef, but still pretty decent. Has a bit of a buttery aftertaste, too.

Eyedrinkale (3214) - Astoria, New York, USA - NOV 28, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2004 Sampled as Morimito as well, from the guy from the TV show, Iron Chef. I got it in bottles as well as sampled at GABF. Nice amber color with a shallow bitter aftertaste. 22 oz. is all I would want. Clear golden yellow with thin head. Taste is oranges dipped in honey, however mellowed out a bit.

Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - NOV 26, 2003
I'm not really sure what this is supposed to be. I purchased it under the name "Morimoto." It has a Japanese man and some Japanese characters on the painted label. I guess that soba is buckwheat then. It is a decent ale, sort of Japanese in its essence. It has a clean, clear water effect to it - maybe from the soba or from the "free range coastal waters." But it probably would be nice to have this at a Japanese steakhouse. I wonder if they would let me bring my own in there.

CapFlu (5126) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 25, 2003
(Draught) Sampled at the GBAF 2003. Light almond head and golden body. Hops nose. Flavour of bitter hops - so that is what Crystal hops taste like? Bitter finish.

jgb9348 (6194) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - NOV 17, 2003
Sampled as the Morimoto Soba Ale. Pours a crystal clear amber colour with a dense medium-sized tan head. Aroma of coriander seed, yeast, malt, hops and a bit of sweetness. Light to Medium-bodied; Light flavour of malt, some bittering toastiness and some sweet flavours. Aftertaste very mild and showcasing a few of the malt characteristics and a bit of the hop profile. Overall, a decent beer..but i'm not impressed with this offering from Rogue (pretty much how I feel about all of their beers-even their re-labeled and then re-re-labeled ones). I bought this 65 cL bottle at Wegman's in Pittsford, New York.

Darkover (1538) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 16, 2003
Light cloudy amber color with a small white head. Weak aroma of wheat and hops. Flavor is sweet and tart almost like lemmonade.

Libeerian (209) - Garner, North Carolina, USA - NOV 2, 2003
Morimoto labelled: Dark straw color with hoppy aroma. Soba is said to bring "hearty flavor and crispness." Body is medium-light. I've had Buckwheat Ale and thought it was OK. This wasn't very good.

jzzbassman (1618) - Arlington, Texas, USA - NOV 2, 2003
This is so different from anything else I've tried, I don't really know how to rate. I like the hazy orange look and compact white head, although the aroma is nothing to write home about, not ofensive either. Had a toasty flavor that almost reminded me of Cheerios cereal on the front end, balanced nicely by the hops bite. Good body, and unusual enough that I will definitely try again.

unclebleen (620) - California, USA - OCT 30, 2003
Morimoto Soba Bottle: Pours a cloudy light orange color with no head or lacing. Aroma smells like cheese (maybe it was a bad bottle?) and some light citrus hops. Flavor is sour and hoppy all at the same time. Not exactly offensive but not something I would ever purchase again. That is all.