overall

RATINGS: 1253   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 110   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
An unfiltered and unrefined Barleywine. Intense, robust, malty and dark. The cognac of beers. A huge beer in a little bottle, this is a beer designed for sipping. Old Crustacean is brewed with eight ingredients, Great Western Harrington, Klages, Hugh Baird Carastan and Munich Malts, Chinook and Centennial Hops, free-range coastal water and PacMan yeast. Old Crustacean is best when aged for one year.

jswatson (2) - Antioch, California, USA - AUG 23, 2001 does not count
My favorite barleywine two years in a row at the Toronado Barleywine Festival (2000,2001).

Mooncheese999 (8) - USA - DEC 9, 2004 does not count
Now this is one tough beer. When I drink this I feel like I’m a seahardened old man sippin one down before I set sail. This is about as bitter as it gets. It kinda taste like poison which is friggin awsome. I usually chug one of these down to start a long night of drinking. Unfortunately I’ve never seen a liquor store that sells bottles of this...I’ve only seen it on tap.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - NOV 6, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2007 My stealth black crock bottle says 2006 @ 11.5%. Pours rich drain water amber after a flood w/ full semi creamy froth reducing to island spatter. It literally looks like thick mud soup as it fill the glass. Aroma is sweet w/ cherry and malted acid hops. Super full nectar w/ mellow residual effers. Intense and robust flavors are extremely hoppy leaving 3rd degree asprin burns complete w/ sloughed off skin. This stuff is so hot it burnt my lips off. A big massive malted mudslide tries to balance it out at mid palate but hasn’t got the momentum. Kinda like the Fire dept arriving too late leaving your charred remains for someone else to deal with. The aspin wins out to the finish w/ a K.O. Big gobs of chewy roasted caramel and new leather scattered in the crowd somewhere but get lost in the chaos. Overall: this ones like war of the worlds. Hopsy firey asprin against the flood of a malted sludgeslide. Like it says above, "intense and robust". Age this one please or drink now and I’m not repsponsible for what happens. I’m tellin’ ya man. Put on your hard hat for this one and approach with caution. You might want to bring a knife and fork. Highly recommended.

davidm (2081) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - APR 30, 2011
On tap at Biero. Massive beer, full marks. Aromas of anisette, cherry, caramel, and alcohol. Taste has a sweet start, with notes of acidity, and a big bitter bite. Palate is syrupy, and full bodied. Amber red, with a frothy head.

rachelastete (5) - Coronado, California, USA - JUN 22, 2012 does not count
Husband states: I love the appearance because it’s really frothy and sticks to the side of the glass. He’s right, it leaves a beautiful lace. The most beautiful barley wine!!!