overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Stout
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 2432   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Rogue’s Shakespeare Stout is ebony in color, a rich creamy head and a mellow chocolate aftertaste. It is made from Northwest Harrington, Crystal, and Chocolate malts, roasted barley and rolled oats, along with Cascade hop.

Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAR 11, 2001
Beautiful combination of huge chocolate/mocha/coffee flavors along with the signature hop explosion of all Rogue beers. This beer is very fragile, though, since it is unfilter and unpasteurized- I've had bottles that made me think this was one of the ten best beers on earth, and bottles which made me think a Rogue employee had relieved himself in the brewing tank. If you live on the West Coast, there is no reason why this beer shouldn't be in your fridge at all times.

damascussteel99 (18) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - FEB 9, 2001
Still my favorite Stout. This is a beer that you have to try to believe. The dark, roasted flavor is wonderful. I detected a hint of chocolate bitterness after each sip, which is a one of a kind. Truly a fantastic stout.

Bov (13221) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - JAN 7, 2001
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2012 re-rated 9/2012; [email protected] black beer under a long lasting dark beige foam; solid aroma of coffee, hints of nuts and licorice; medium to full-bodied; fairly bitter and quite dry; long and very roasted aftertaste of coffee, tar and chocolate with a respectable hop presence <P> 1/2001 - dark colour, fine long lasting head; aroma: roasty, truffle, strong and fresh; strong coffee flavor and very deep bitter aftertaste. (5/9/8/4/17)

Kaya161 (1142) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 29, 2000
I know that I am in the minority, but I feel that this style should be on the sweet side. The Shakespeare stout over emphasizes the hops.

mike mcneil (660) - St Augustine, Florida, USA - NOV 22, 2000
One of the best stouts bar none in the world. As full-bodied, rich and flavorful as any beer of any style could be. A mouthful of deep roasted malt, chocolate and coffee with a smooth, creamy texture. Balances well with an appropriate hop bitterness in the finish which is very long. If you are a stout fan, you've got to try this!

karl (158) - Glendale, New York, USA - NOV 18, 2000
..................................................

Gusler (2652) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - OCT 23, 2000
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2003 The beer pours that deep rich jet black color that so typifies the stout style, the head elephantine in size, the consistency frothy, the color a deep chocolate brown with the resultant lace a thick and glutinous sheet to smother the glass. The aromas of rich roasted malt, coffee, brown sugar sweet, also a light hop floral scent to seal off the nose. Start is bitter chocolate sweet, malt and the top thick and chewy, with a finish that is hop bitter and purposeful in its bite. The carbonation moderate and the aftertaste dry and long lasting. Quite a good stout in my books and one I enjoy often when a big beer is called for.

Fantomasus (291) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - SEP 1, 2000
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2008 "Close to perfect, the only way it could be better is if it had tits on it." That quote is from my original review from a few years back. Too funny. After trying a few more beers I brought this rating down a few notches.

roland (38) - Bellevue, Washington, USA - JUN 26, 2000
This is more bitter than I can deal with - then again so is Rogue's Mocha Porter. It's a strong stout and it's well made, just not my type of beer. Pass the Guinness :)

marc77 (4) - Manhattan, Kansas, USA - JUN 16, 2000 does not count
This is my favorite stout, hands down. With a a wonderfully rich and smooth body and definite chocolate undertones as well as aroma, this is a stout lovers dream. This is not a dry stout, but IMO blows any dry stout away... and I LOVE Guinness. Try this beer when it hasn't travelled too far and you should love it. I just had one about an hour ago. Yum.