overall
Brewed by Rogue Ales
Style: Smoked
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 725   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.9/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
13 Ingredients: Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast Specs: 14º PLATO 30 IBU 76 AA 30º Lovibond World Class Package: 750ml painted bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
reebtogi (5936) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - DEC 16, 2011
650ml bottle pours amber in color with a finger of white head that leaves very little lacing behind. Aroma is maple and a trace of smoke. Taste is a malty sweetness with some smoke and maple with a light hop bitterness in the finish. A decent beer with a light to medium body and light carbonation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Beerman6686 (6497) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 15, 2011
This poured a plain amber color with a beige head. Aroma was very very strong of burnt smokoed bacon and sweet sweet fake maple syrup. Flavor was way less impressive than the aroma. Dont get me wrong the smoke and the maple were still there in full sugary force, but there was no underlying beer at all, just bacon and maple water. If this were done overtop a nicely brwered porter it could have been way better, but I didn;t completley destroy it because of the uniqueness of it all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
fata2683 (2176) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - DEC 9, 2011
Bottle thanks to the wife. Pours light copper red with a medium tan head. Aroma is sweet maple, thin smoke and toast. Flavor is caramel and toasted grain with thin smoke and peat notes ending with sweet maple syrup. Im mixed with this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hopscotch (10761) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - DEC 7, 2011
Bottle Hazy ruby/burnt-orange ale with a small, white head. Smells like a glazed doughnut smothered in maple syrup and crumbled bacon very smoky bacon. Medium to full-bodied with tingly carbonation. The flavor is actually pretty well-balanced with a hint of smoky bacon drenched in maple syrup. Sufficient bitterness. Finishes coarse, dry and mildly bitter. Weird, but I dig it. Worthy of note: Im the only person at this particular tasting that enjoyed it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
50belair (3499) - Florida, USA - DEC 7, 2011
Bottle. Clear burnt orange pour with a white head. Huge smokey nose. Seriously? What can I say, its a bacon beer. I didnt get any doughnut.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
MikeMoriendi (72) - Boynton Beach, USA - DEC 5, 2011
It pours out a burnt copper color into my glass with a slightly off white head. I could start smelling it immediately after I opened the bottle and began pouring. I could smell the maple syrup without even putting my nose to the glass. When I did I get a ton of smoked bacon in the nose. The maple syrup is there too but you just get smacked in the face with the smoke. The taste is extremely sweet from the syrup. This is matched up with an equal overload of smoke. Its sort of a mess but sort of works at the same time. I admit I couldnt finish the bottle. I got maybe 75% of the way through before I had to dump the rest. The relentless attack of sweetness and smoke was just too much. For a few hours I was really not sure what I thought of this beer. I kept going between thinking it was middle of the road to thinking it was awful. To be honest, Im still not sure. It was absolutely unlike any beer Ive ever had, even counting some really smokey beers Ive had at tastings. I have never had the doughnut that this beer is modeled after but I have a feeling this beer in either way doesnt do it much justice. While yes it has the maple and bacon aspect a doughnut itself has a nice bready and sugary taste to it that the beer just doesnt carry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
GodOfThunder (1249) - Orlando, Florida, USA - DEC 3, 2011
Thanks to SHIG! Really, I cant believe the reviews are so bad for this. Maple syrup dominates the nose, with a little smoke mixed in. Flavor is similar, but more smoke coming through. A slight ashiness, that isnt too offputting. I thought there was a nice balance between the sweet maple and the smoke. My complaint was I thought the base beer should have stood up to the maple and smoke a little more. Maybe, use a porter or stout. A little thin on the palate, too. It wasnt great, but certainly not awful, and I thought they accomplished exactly what they set out to do. It tasted like maple and bacon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jcwattsrugger (12295) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - DEC 2, 2011
750 bottle-shared by SHIG-pours a white ring with hazy gold color. Aroma is maple syrup-light/medium malt. Taste is smokey, maple syrup-light/medium malt, molasses. 0 bacon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (7162) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 2, 2011
UPDATED: APR 3, 2012 From the 12/2011 3R6P tasting. I have to give points for inventiveness for this strange beer. +++ Sampled from a 22 oz bottle this beer poured a hazy caramel color with a small soapy white head that faded quickly and left no lacing. The aroma was sweet sugar, icing, wood, hickory and brown sugar. The flavor was dryish, woody and a bit smoky with a sweet glazed donut element and notes of maple, hickory and cinnamon sugar. Long complex finish. Medium body. Interesting.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
drowland (7917) - Georgia, USA - DEC 2, 2011
12/2/11. 22oz bottle thanks to stevencon! Hurray! Slightly hazy orange pour with a smalloff-white head thats gone instantly. Before I even bring the glass up I can smell the artificial maple... pulling the glass to my nose I get huge artificial maple with an even bigger dose of disgusting, burnt, smokey aspects... its like liquid smoke poured onto burnt boards. I actually dont mind the maple, but the smoke is horrifying. My God. The flavor has significantly less maple sweetness and a smack in the face of salty, smokey, burnt wood and bacon. The body is very light and the lingering flavor is more sweetness and burnt wood. This is a disaster. Horrible... cant finish my sample.