overall
Formerly brewed at Rogue Ales
Style: American Pale Ale
Newport, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 11   MEAN: 3.42/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17/5   ABV: -
Dedicated to Richard Marcincko. Thou hast not to like it, thou hast just to do it. Thou shalt Keep it Simple, Stupid. Thou shalt never assume. Thou are no rules - thou shalt win at all cost.

Please Note: Bottle released after 2004 were relabeled Shakespeare Stout.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 21, 2004
We begin our appreciation of the presentation by admiring the biceps of the manly man on the silkscreened label, presumably the Richard Marcincko that the beer is dedicated to, and what else does Mr. M. have to say? "Thou shalt not like it, thou hast just to do it. Thou shalt Keep It Simple, Stupid. Thou shalt never assume. There are no rules- thou shalt win all all costs." Hokay, without even cracking the crown, I've got my program before me! I'm guessing Richard M.'s a wrestler? I've also checked the ingredients in all my saved Rogue bottles to be sure that this is not a re-bottled something else, and it doesn't match up, so here we go... Appearance: a hazy, solid peach color, good, fluffy white head. Aroma: zesty, citrusy (grapefruit, orange, peach, more?), very fruity, sweet, richly aromatic, earthy and rare. Taste: unique! Substantial, yeasty, citric, delicious! Lots of sweet and tart hops dancing on the tongue, plenty of malt at work, gobs of yeast, still lively. Damn! Great tasting! Full malt, full hops, this brew ain't missing nothing is it? Feels a bit like Dead Guy...hmm, that bottle's missing from my collection...I'm not drinking re-packaged Dead Guy, am I? (It's been nearly 6 months since I've had one). No, I don't think so, though I welcome anyone to correct me. This is a substantially fruity ale, a fuller amber, a bolder pale, but great tasting to THE EXTREME!!! Another nice one from Rogue!

3fourths (9341) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 3, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 8, 2013 I believe this is a variant of Younger’s Special Bitter. I called the brewery but did not get a definite answer yet. The ingredients listed are slightly different than for YSB so I added it. Semi-sweet aroma of apples and malt. Copper orange hue. Full bodied, very frothy, very malty. Tastes of wheat, yeast, cinnamon, ginger, pine, and lime (quite an odd assortment of tastes found in this one), with a suprisingly dry finish.

Baytiff (3) - - JUN 20, 2012 does not count
Wow... Okay people, Dick Marcincko was a Navy SEAL and founder of SEAL Team 6. He has written books, had books written about him, star of a video game and many other things. His book is called Rogue Warrior, hence the name of the beer and his picture. The man is an actual badass worthy of his own beer... Not some damn entertainment wrestler.

harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - AUG 20, 2003
I thought this was an extremely unique take on what has become a very boring and standard style. Nicely balanced with sweet malts and very tasty hops. Very drinkable with that aftertaste that only Rogue can produce.

Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - NOV 15, 2003
I swear this is a re-bottling of the amber ale. Oh well, still very dank beer. Perfectly balanced hop profile, sweetness to match the malt body, and a slighly bitter aftertaste that is great.

raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - MAR 23, 2004
Hazy,oarnge/brown. Usual,Rogue,head. Lots of hops in the aroma with just as much caramel/bready malt aromas.Buttery,full,body. Starts hoppy,lots of malt in the flavor. Leafy hops and bready malts.Lingering leafy,hop finish. Dry and refreshing. Very drinkable beer,nothing fancy. Thanks Andre'!

Verne (263) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - APR 5, 2004
Clear amber medium bubbled almost white head. Mild sweet aroma a combination of hops and grain giving this a different aroma but maybe I just getting to comfortable with hop monsters. A hop monster this beer is not. Medium light bodied beer smooth drinking a definite grainy flavor but not an unpleasant one. A floral hop flavor comes though a balanced beer and a great session beer

BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - AUG 20, 2003
Aroma is very hoppy with a perfect balance of malt, lots of cinammon. Wow! APA?! Nice for this style! Flavor is slightly cobwebby with a dry hop finish. Very unique hop flavors, not bad.

aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - MAR 26, 2005
Overly soft again for style. Low bitterness with some grassy hop notes. Somewhat English malt nose with some caramel and toffee notes. Hops seem somewhat downplayed for the style. Clean and drinkable session beer.

Crit (3995) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 10, 2003
Cloudy amber,small beige head.Light citrus hop and malt nose.Lots of malt to start with good medium long lasting hop end.Well balanced