overall
RATINGS: 681   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Although we enjoyed aging Batch #1 in used La Folie barrels from New Belgium Brewery, one of which was the renowned PH1 barrel, Batch #2 is something completely different. After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Vinnie successfully tried his hand at spontaneous fermentation using traditional, and not so traditional, Lambic methods. Out of respect for our Belgian brewing friends, we call this style “Sonambic”, a portmanteau between Sonoma and Lambic.

We stole this term from our friend Brian Hunt at Moonlight, our local farmhouse brewery. In 2007, we executed a second spontaneous fermentation, making yet another batch of Sonambic. This year, we blended those two batches to create our second bottling of Beatification which we are very excited about! Batch #2 has a big grapefruit aroma and grapefruit rind flavor with funky Brettanomyces and a tart finish.

MatSciGuy (924) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - DEC 31, 2008
[750 mL Bottle, Batch 003] Pours a slightly hazy bright gold with an effervescent head of white bubbles that noisily bubbles away. Aroma is huge tartness, some barnyard, apples, and pears. Flavor is puckering on the first sip, and keeps my mouth watering through the whole pour. The tartness really overwhelms a lot of the flavors, but not in a bad way. Lots of citrus, funk, and some lighter fruits stick with it. Great beer.

Ratman197 (15376) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - DEC 30, 2008
Corked and caged bottle Batch 2 poured a clear glden yellow with a lingering ring of white foam. Aromas of leman zest, leather and a hint of spice. Palate was light bodied and crisp with a drfy tart finish. Flavors of lemon zest, grapefruit peel, leather and earthiness with a crisp dry lingering tart finish.

sloth (2936) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - DEC 27, 2008
Small white head, fair retention with minimal lace. Hazy pale gold color. Nose is neat with notes of citrus, wood, funk, peach, apple, phenols, cinnamon and a light mustiness. Lightly medium body and big prickly carbonation, truely acidic and seriously tart. A real palate cleanser. Lotsa woody flavor, resiny with light vinous notes and the aforementioned aroma descriptors all piled in there. Dry, fruity and tart finish. RR is always an exciting drinking expierence. Props to cloudskipper for the bottle!

after4ever (8025) - Mukilteo, Washington, USA - DEC 27, 2008
375, corked and baled. Thanks for helping me out with the logistics on this one, Tom! Hazy golden medium amber. Headless. Laceless. Huge tart vinegar nose with overripe fruit. Fizzy medium body. Overripe fruit, dark vinegar, and a lactic kick all working together in a super-drinkable beer. Hard to imagine how anyone could predict all these different sour elements complementing each other so magnificently, but Vinnie pulled it off. This is awesome.

Fin (10918) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - DEC 26, 2008
Bottle that was kindly passed on in a trade by the marvellous Miketd when we met in NYC in Nov 08, cheers me old china. I understand that this is batch No:3. Pours hazy orangey with no head. Carbonation is soft, I am reminded a little of Boon beers. It has a soft lemony nose, I dont get the grapefruitness. This is wondefully sour and refreshing, really good tartness but restrained from being too harsh what a great beer one of my favourites of this festive period so far. A8 A4 F9 P4 OV17 4.2

mar (5444) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 24, 2008
bottle thanks to daknole. pale yellow pour with a ring of white froth. great nose of funk with some tart/sourness and some fruit. wow that is awesome. great on the palate with a fruity, funky flavor and a solid smooth sour finish. not the type of sour that hurts your stomach though. quite a smooth sour that gets funkier as it warms.

Juelze (1146) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 23, 2008
Thanks to my brother for sharing this!!! Pours a very orangish color, almost like diluted Tang. Aroma is very tart with notes of must, yeast, grapefruit. Taste is tart grapefruit rind, must, grapefruit juice and the funk (just ask Old Gregg). Finishes with some moderate carbonation and some tart and citric notes. Solid!

Petrucci914 (921) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 23, 2008
Thannks to TheCheeseMan! Pours a yellow-tinged golden color with some small particulate and a thin foamy white head. Aroma is intense grapefruit with some tart lambic funk. Taste is more tart and crisp than their other sours, with clear lambic flavors going on. My favorite Russian River sour.

inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - DEC 23, 2008
Pours a deep golden color with a small head. Very funky, skunky aroma, that I just cant get used to in sour beers. Taste is very sour, like warheads candy when I was a little kid. If I liked sour beers this would be the best example I have tried to date.

TheAlum (7164) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - DEC 22, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 30, 2010 12 oz bottle acquired from Beerlando and broken out in honor of my order of Batch 003 arriving. Pours a higly hazed orangish yellow with minimal white head. Aromas are a wonderful sour funkiness coupled with a nice oakiness and brett apparent. Initial is sour, mouthpuckering with a dry oakiness and more funky brett body. Sour white wine, bitter lemon fruit. Strong, moderate body. Finishes puckering sour with notes of funk and wood lingering on the palate. A strong contender in the category. Very happy to have tried this and have 4 bottles of the new batch sitting in the cellar.