overall
RATINGS: 673   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Although we enjoyed aging Batch #1 in used La Folie barrels from New Belgium Brewery, one of which was the renowned PH1 barrel, Batch #2 is something completely different. After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Vinnie successfully tried his hand at spontaneous fermentation using traditional, and not so traditional, Lambic methods. Out of respect for our Belgian brewing friends, we call this style Sonambic, a portmanteau between Sonoma and Lambic.

We stole this term from our friend Brian Hunt at Moonlight, our local farmhouse brewery. In 2007, we executed a second spontaneous fermentation, making yet another batch of Sonambic. This year, we blended those two batches to create our second bottling of Beatification which we are very excited about! Batch #2 has a big grapefruit aroma and grapefruit rind flavor with funky Brettanomyces and a tart finish.

notalush (5774) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 2, 2008
Many thanks to beastiefan2k for sharing - cloudy yellow beer with a few tiny bubbles - loads of funk/cheese/barnyard in the aroma, with a light touch of leathery character - a bit salty/briny up front - a lot of aged blue cheese flavor and a mild acidity that allows the wild quality to take center stage more than in a lot of other sours/lambics - ends with a little more leather and brine - some subtle citrus - extreme without being overpowering (I could drink loads of this), which is hard to do - kudos.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
OldGrowth (3338) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - JUN 2, 2008
bottle, at Carolina Crew get together, provided by Turdferguson. Great aroma, Sour, funky. green apple, lemon. Hazed golden color, small head. Sour flavor, lemon. Funk on the back end. Medium body, creamy mouthfeel, bitter finish. Very nice. Nice sourness level, not too strong. Nice fruitiness about it.

airforce1 (61) - Atascosa, Texas, USA - JUN 2, 2008
Sweet Tarts on the back, funk on the front (like a Temptation backwards =). Stinky cheese with a leather smell. Pale yellow in colour. Delicious, one of my all time favorites!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - MAY 31, 2008
Pours a hazy clearer golden with a small even head. The nose is soure and dry. A bit tannic. Very subdued character, but rather dry and astringent! Thin thin body with small bubbles, though not to the detriment of the beer. Big ass astringency. Sour to tart. Dry oaky. Lingering tannins. A bit citric even. Tea bag tannic finish! Nice, rather.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JoeinDahlem (1472) - Berlin, GERMANY - MAY 31, 2008
Thanks again to Mike for sharing at WSF. Pours a thickly cloudy dark yellow with thin white head. Very lemony nose is a bit musty, less complex than the Temptation. Taste is quite lemony-sour, lightly bitter, tart and tangy. Light and lively in the mough. Deliciously and straightforwardly sour.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - MAY 30, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2009 This is one serious fn beer. I mean that with all sincerity. There is nothing lighthearted about it. This is a punch-you-in-the-mouth, kick-you-in-the-balls kinda beer. Just...wow. The beer pours out a cloudy yellowish-orange color with a small sized 1/2" thick head. Thats about the only thing thats not hardcore about this beer. A aroma that goes from 0-100 in the blink of an eye. Huge tart aroma, stinky baby-poo, grapefruit rinds, oak, funky, musty, earthy...heavenly. The beer has a acidic, mouth stripping feeling that I only seem to get from Cantillon Organic Gueze and La Folie. Feels like the enamel on your teeth is melting away with every second this beer in touching your teeth, yet its so enjoyable. Flavors are absolutely wonderful with pineapple/grapefruity funk, oak, sour apples tartness and dry as a freakin bone. Just a pleasure to consume. Now looking for my next bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SuperDave (1932) - Beautiful Sunny Mesa, Arizona, USA - MAY 29, 2008
Sampled at hellbillys HellRaiser II. Hazy golden pour with a small foamy head. Aroma of sour apples and lemons, with a touch of yeast. Flavor is crazy sour, no sweetness whatsoever. Lots of fruit and yeast and wood. Super Dry and somewhat gueze-like. Very good!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MesandSim (7117) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAY 29, 2008
A Mes rate: Bottle at weekend of tarts.
Semi cloudy golden with a good white head. Aroma is very funky with maybe a little too much poo. Flavour is better. Sour and barrelly and gloriously dry. Rather sweet compared to what I know of Russian River so far. A little too much grapefruit for me but it gets away with it. Good as this is, batch 1 gives it a flying armbar.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drfabulous (7114) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAY 28, 2008
I want to start this post with the most common of all Beatification description: sour. Yet, this is just that. The most common form of description. My beer writing is typically common. No catch phrases or usage of the word pine for an IPA (usually). My descriptions are common. My tastes are common as well in that I lean towards what other geeks lean to: sours, Double IPAs, IPAs, Barley Wines, Russian Imperials, etc. I can, however, make a description of Beatification more familial. My wife will never drink this. And I can make it more familial in a productive way. Im glad my wife will never drink this because that way, I can finish the bottle alone.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jlizard (8) - Richmond, California, USA - MAY 28, 2008 does not count
Deep and complex without being overwhelming. I liked it but would drink it in 6 oz servings very infrequently, preferably in between food with a view....