overall
RATINGS: 678   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Although we enjoyed aging Batch #1 in used La Folie barrels from New Belgium Brewery, one of which was the renowned PH1 barrel, Batch #2 is something completely different. After a trip to Belgium in 2006, Vinnie successfully tried his hand at spontaneous fermentation using traditional, and not so traditional, Lambic methods. Out of respect for our Belgian brewing friends, we call this style “Sonambic”, a portmanteau between Sonoma and Lambic.

We stole this term from our friend Brian Hunt at Moonlight, our local farmhouse brewery. In 2007, we executed a second spontaneous fermentation, making yet another batch of Sonambic. This year, we blended those two batches to create our second bottling of Beatification which we are very excited about! Batch #2 has a big grapefruit aroma and grapefruit rind flavor with funky Brettanomyces and a tart finish.

User29624 (1683) - - JUN 9, 2008
Sadly, the last of my sour ales from Russian River at my place. I went on a tear this weekend :) Incredibly funky aroma...almost like bad cheese. But, amazingly enough it tastes fantastic. Nice sour fruit flavor and incredibly tart. Awesome stuff.

BrianK (200) - Livingston, New Jersey, USA - JUN 9, 2008
Shared by Rciesla on my 25th birthday. Very descent offering from RR probably my favorite. I felt this beer had many lambic qualities and was quite funky. I like it.

pintsize (1042) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 9, 2008
6-6-08 bottle
Semi clear orange yellow with no head. Smell is slightly funky - almost like sour socks - but yet is still somehow nice. This is a sour ass beer! It forces the cheeks to clinch and you can’t help but smile. Nice tart presence that has a nice fruity element to it (that isn’t cherries which I am very thankful for). Overall, a yummy beer.

tjthresh (1873) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - JUN 9, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 11, 2008 375ml bottle from Capone’s. My 100th rating of a beer brewed in California. Pours hazy straw yellow with no head. The aroma is an aggressive blend of citrus rind, hay or straw, funky cheese. The flavor is very tart and yogurt-ish. Just a little bit if malty sweetness left. Medium body with tons of carbonation and a bone dry finish.

beastiefan2k (4007) - HdG (past: NYC, KS, Rain City), Maryland, USA - JUN 5, 2008
Pours headless with a murky straw/golden color. Aroma is very authentic with sourness and brett, vinegar, and some barnyard. Taste is very, very mild vinegar with peach skins hints. Very reduced carbonation which leads to a slightly lifeless feel. Low acidity, tartness at the end, and dries you out.
375mL bottle, Southampton snifter.

kkearn (1165) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 5, 2008
Bottle. Pours hazy yellow golden, capped with a thin white head. Aroma is tart and citric, with notes of grapefruit, cork, white wine, lactic acid and wild yeast. Taste is actually a bit sweet at first, with white grape, lemon juice, grain and tropical fruit initially, then building to a quite tart finish, with grapefruit and brett lingering on the palate. Tart, yet very drinkable. Excellent stuff, but at this early point in the beer’s life, i think i prefer batch 1.

Bockyhorsey (2628) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - JUN 4, 2008
Sampled at Hellbilly’s Hellraiser II. Yeasty, sour fruit aroma. Yellow body with no head. Flavor is a good dose of sour and tart. Footy was in heaven.

notalush (5883) - Lakewood, Colorado, USA - JUN 2, 2008
Many thanks to beastiefan2k for sharing - cloudy yellow beer with a few tiny bubbles - loads of funk/cheese/barnyard in the aroma, with a light touch of leathery character - a bit salty/briny up front - a lot of aged blue cheese flavor and a mild acidity that allows the wild quality to take center stage more than in a lot of other sours/lambics - ends with a little more leather and brine - some subtle citrus - extreme without being overpowering (I could drink loads of this), which is hard to do - kudos.

OldGrowth (3474) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - JUN 2, 2008
bottle, at Carolina Crew get together, provided by Turdferguson. Great aroma, Sour, funky. green apple, lemon. Hazed golden color, small head. Sour flavor, lemon. Funk on the back end. Medium body, creamy mouthfeel, bitter finish. Very nice. Nice sourness level, not too strong. Nice fruitiness about it.

airforce1 (61) - Atascosa, Texas, USA - JUN 2, 2008
Sweet Tarts on the back, funk on the front (like a Temptation backwards =). Stinky cheese with a leather smell. Pale yellow in colour. Delicious, one of my all time favorites!