overall
RATINGS: 1400   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
70 IBU’s. 1.061 Original Gravity.

Full-bodied, very hoppy, citrus, pine, fruity notes with nice dry, bitter finish!

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 20, 2005
Clear and golden hued,...lush, enormous white head, ...beautiful...a lace-leaver... Aroma is flat-out piney hops, prickly, sparkly, tingly, tangy, yum...ferociously fresh flavor, pineapple and apricot, lemon, and pine cones...damned fresh...I love it! God, I love it! Taste it, already...slides on board the palate assuredly and provides the same fresh, vibrant hoppy flavor that blessed the nose. Zips merrily along the tongue, blazing bitterness, but balanced beautifully with zesty flavor. Never, never quits...so easy to drink, and so ample in it’s hoppy bounty... Not too anything, this, and just right with all the appropriate ingredients, especially for the hopheads in the house....medium-bodied, with a lightly bitter, fruity finish...holy crud, I could spin every superlative off the top of my head and still feel like I’ve missed a few...every IPA I’ve tasted from Russian River has been amazing, and this continues that trend...if Vinnie is capable of making a bad one, I don’t want to know...

bb (9900) - Alamo, California, USA - OCT 17, 2005
Draught. Golden beer with a thin white head. Grapefruit and tropical fruit aroma. Grapefruit, pine, apricot, tropical fruit hop flavors with some sweet malt backing. Nice bitterness. Finish is a little woody/grainy.

BuckNaked (1230) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - SEP 23, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2005 Draught at Brickskeller in DC: The lighting in Brickskeller sucks, so my appearance comments may not be accurate. I did the best I could in the conditions. I was lucky to get a pint of this immediately folowing a pint of the IPA, so I could contrast the two. Moderately hazy golden yellow with a definite bronze-orange tinted body. Medium white head that is somewhat foamy and does have quite the retention of their plain IPA (though it’s still nothing to scoff at). The aroma has more pungent citrus hops than the IPA (which is more pine/grass), but there’s still the usual subjects of pine and floral hops with a tiny hint of sweet malt in here that seemes to almost have a bit of dry caramel, almost like munich malt. The taste has mostly bitter citrus hops at first, with some light pine and floral hops as well, but the more citrus and grapefruit flavors are backed up with a sweeter malt base than the IPA. Towards the middle one can actually taste just a hint of malt (sweet pale malt, not grainy, with a faint tough of caramel). Finish is dry (not a surprise from RR), crisp, and has plenty of lingering hops. Medium bodied, moderate-medium carbonation, dry but showing some signs of malty sweetness. I really enjoyed the presence, if faint, of the small amount of flavorful malt in this.

fly (1487) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - AUG 23, 2005
This defines IPA for me. Can I just say that over and over and have that be my testament? What more can I really say? A description does not do justice what this does for my tongue and soul. Sampled by hand carried glass from Natalie as Vinne brewed and Dave Keen and Joe looked on, SaveTheAles pummeled hops and I grinned.

beerguy101 (5364) - Newark, California, USA - AUG 11, 2005
UPDATED: APR 2, 2006 On Tap at 2005 Bistro IPA fest. Light orange gold color. Small sized white foamy head. Aroma is orange, citrus and floral hops. A light to medium bodied IPA. Malts are fruity and sweet. Lots of orange and orange peel flavors Hops are grapefruity and citrusy. Medium bitter IPA. Nice balance between the malts and hops. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Cask Version On cask at O’Brien’s. This IPA pours an orange gold color. Small sized white foamy head. Aroma is piney and floral. Malts are fruity and sweet, touch of caramel. Hops are very juicy, floral and piney, without a lot of hop bitterness, There is some hop bitterness in the finish but that is all. Very soft mouthfeel and carbonation. Nicely balanced. The bitterness at the finish builds as you go. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. (9-4-8-4-17)

Enniskillen (2061) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JUN 29, 2005
Pretty good IPA. Russian River seems to use all piney hops, and this was no differant. Nice and pleasant, not overly bitter. Mainly earthy characters with floral and citrus accents.