overall
RATINGS: 1277   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronados 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jake65 (3473) - Meridian, Idaho, USA - MAY 13, 2009
Bottle: Very deep amber with a finger of creamy beige head. Aroma is sweet, fruity, and tart. Has that ba sour smell for sure. Deeply tart and sour, oak barrel, and tons of vinous fruit. Dry, lingering pucker finish. Good, but under my expectations.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
j12601 (9891) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - MAY 12, 2009
Bottle at the Drink for Charity event at Rattle & Hum. I was quite excited about this as the last time I had a chance to try it I missed out. Pours a lovely ruby brown without any head. Smells amazing. Wine cork, funk, red wine. Great carbonation on here. Tangy and lightly sour, with a bit of sweetness coming through. Excellently balanced. Finishes smoothly with a light bit more funk. Absolutely delicious. One of my favorites on the day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jeremytoni (3029) - Swedesboro, New Jersey, USA - MAY 11, 2009
From a bottle poured brown with a good amount of head. Nice tart smell and flavor with a lingering aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dogfish120love (1267) - Westfield, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 10, 2009
Pours a dark brownish red with a light boron egg shell colored head. Highly carbonated, Im guessing from the champagne yeast. A nice sour blend with distinguished oak flavors and a vinegar esc taste from the cabernet barrels. Berries and oak accompanied by some funkyness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Petrucci914 (910) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 8, 2009
Thank to TheCheeseMan for this! Pours an amber color with a medium white head, with little to no lacing. Aroma is very pungent with some sour funk, and some grapes from the Cabernet, along with some oak. Taste is sour funk, grape, oak, with a relatively smooth mouthfeel with some toffee-type characteristics in there. A tastey, and thick sour!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Juelze (1146) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 8, 2009
Thanks for my brother for sharing this and the Cheeseman for hooking him up!!! Pours a rusty brown color with minimal white head. Aroma is of wood, red wine, grapes, some dark fruit and light tobacco. Taste is wood, red wine, yeast, alcohol and dark fruit. Finishes clean but the pino seems to lend to a dry finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ungstrup (35911) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - MAY 8, 2009
Bottled. An unclear dark amber beer with an orangey head. The aroma is sour with notes of fruit, berries, and wood. The flavor is very sour with notes of berries and lighter notes of wood, leading to a dry and tart finish. The alcohol leaves a slight burn on the palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
petematte46 (330) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAY 6, 2009
Pours a clear dark reddish-brown with a white ring. Huge sour aroma, of fruit and malt, cherries, lemons. Huge crisp sour taste, lots of fruit, cherries and currants, a hint of sweetness, and red wine

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gypsy19 (726) - California, USA - MAY 6, 2009
Batch 001x1. Pours a medium to dark brown, opaque, with a smaller head that reduces to a thin lacing. Aroma is indeed sour, slightly fruity, slightly floral, and of brown sugar. Flavor is very tart all the way through, and overpoweringly so. There is some sweetness and cherry/berry underneath the sourness, as well as breadiness, yeast. Pretty Belgian in character outside of the tart. You can also taste the wine cask the more you drink it. Very acidic; I feel like this is eroding the enamel off my teeth. Mouthfeel I found quite nice: Good medium carbonation and medium viscosity. Nice chest warmth if you need it. Not my favorite style so far, but still pretty enjoyable after all is said and done. Overall, very good minus.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
josephselander (42) - Salem, Oregon, USA - MAY 6, 2009
This is batch 001x3. Appearance - Pours a beautiful dark mahogany color that absolutely shines when held up to the light. A light cream colored head rises up about half a finger and recedes to a small ringaround the edge. Smell - Tart dark cherry, definitely a lot of wine coming through in a big way. It has a real, clean smell to it, like its, perfect? It is just an amazing smell, hard to describe with the right words. Taste - This is my first real sour, so the fact that it is sour comes out the most first. It didnt hit me like a freight train though, it was, refreshing! This is hard to explain, like the smell. Whatever those Bretts and other bacterias and yeasts are contributing is something completely foreign and completely amazing at the same time to me. This tastes like a tart berry picked fresh from the bush. What kind of berry is that though? I am guessing it would have to be black currants, another new taste for me. Mouthfeel - Wow, it is light, and it is perfectly carbonated. This is the kind of brew that I have been waiting for. It tickles the end of your tongue with every sip. It feels like it coats the mouth without giving you that feeling that it just wont go away. Drinkability - I am glad this is a 750ml bottle, I will gladly drink this entire bottle to myself and wish I had more. This has opened new doors for me and I will be searching out sours in the very near future. This beer is amazing, and it is very much worth the hype. Wow. This will have to suffer from the fact I wouldnt be able to drink another bottle if I wanted to, not really looking to get krunked over here!