overall
RATINGS: 1284   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

ryan (3185) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - MAR 27, 2010
Fruity, currant and cherry nose, funky cheesy brett, some caramel and cola. Bright acidity, lots of currant, some grapes and light cherry; Light to moderate sweetness, I actually think it’s the fruitiness of the taste that’s making this seems sweeter than it is. Just a bit of cola and caramel. High carbonation, but gentle for the most part, texture is soft and round. Excellent.

BeerBlitz (72) - Roslyn, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 21, 2010
On draft at TJ’s Everyday, Paoli, PA. Superb sour ale. Poured the color of dark tea, with very minimal head that disappears completely. Wonderful aromas of oak, barnyard, vinegar, sour cherry, and toast. Aromas strengthened and multiplied as beer warmed. Terrific body. Astringent finish. Alcohol content completely imperceivable.

Beershine (5253) - VANCOUVER, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 20, 2010
Draft @ Stumbling Monk. Garnet red-brown. Flat looking. Beneath a tart shell is a layer of sturdy dark malt that is pure, lovely, amazing, and deceptively simple. Even has a toasty character that is unexpected. Astringent. Evaporates on the tongue. Lip-puckering sourness. Acetic acid. Pungent wood. Dry and fruity. Great stuff.

emagana (38) - Fillmore, California, USA - MAR 19, 2010
When I bought this beer it was being chilled at the store. I brought it home wanting to age but I felt that drinking it now would be best. I was right. Poured red with little to no head. Aroma of sour apples and pears. I also get hints of grapes and wood. Explodes on the tongue from the hidden carbonation. A defenite sour taste again reminding me of cider. Lingering woody taste with a poukering after flavor drying out the mouth asking for more. This is my first ale and I enjoyed it.

CanIHave4Beers (4241) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - MAR 14, 2010
Pours a burgundy color with a small head. The aroma is woody and oaky with some mild berries and alcohol with some good funk. The flavor is remarkable plenty of cranberry and currant, the beer is very sour with some tart and funky notes. The beer is just a tad sweet but perfectly balanced between sour malty and fruity. I have never in my life tasted a beer that concealed alcohol so well. Excellent.

SuperDave (2555) - Beautiful Sunny Mesa, Arizona, USA - MAR 13, 2010
Bottle shared by hellbilly. Thank you sir! Deep red brown color with a thin head. Sour fruit, funky yeast and a bit of oak coming through. Amazingly tasty!

jsh12bama (761) - Alabama, USA - MAR 13, 2010
750 ml bottle. Pours reddish brown with fizzy, thin off white head. Head disappears quickly. Not much to look at. Aroma has huge sour notes with vinegar, grapes, and oak. Sharp tartness in the first sip. Flavor of sour cherries. Big Brett taste and nose. Thick mouthfeel. Very dry, long finish. Complex and very good.

NachlamSie (3598) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 8, 2010
750 mL big, big thanks to BossHossBikes for the hook up on this one. The pour into a Trappist glass reveals a clear brown/red body with a fizzy, disappearing head. I cannot see visible carbonation, though the mouthfeel is lively and tingly somehow. The aroma is spot on for the style. True, genuine sour ale qualities of vinegar, oak, horses, overripe fruits and vinous tones make for an enjoyable and balanced bouquet. The flavor is much of the same. Lots of sour funk up front, though without being aggressive, with an endlessly complex body of grape, cherry, oak, vanilla, grass. The most notable flavors are of balsamic vinegarette, farmland and wool. Quite an offering from the masters at Russian River. What makes this beer is its finesse, completeness, and robust flavor.

punkrkr27 (903) - Berkley, Michigan, USA - MAR 7, 2010
Bottle thanks to DuffManSW. Mahogany pour with a ruby highlight and a short lived, fizzy, off white head. Deep oaky aroma with a strong tartness, sweet rich molasses, and strong aromatic black currants. Rich buttery charred oak flavor with some sweet molasses and caramel in the middle and finishes with black pepper, vinous black currant and a strong lactic sour bite. Dry medium body with loads of carbonation.

patrickfannon (1242) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 1, 2010
UPDATED: OCT 12, 2010 Draft at Monk’s for Russian River Day. Pours deep, dark, mahogany silky brown with a calm, smooth surface. No head. Aroma is subtle, but nice; sour cherries, tart fig, grapes, red wine, slight vinegar barley, hints of vanilla, oak, and sweet malts. Medium bodied with a sticky, tangy, yet amazingly sour and juicy mouthfeel. Finishes with an insanely crisp, tart bite. One of the most unique, beautifully arranged sour ales I have ever tasted. Great brew in every regard.