overall
RATINGS: 1297   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - FEB 27, 2010
Poured a hazy mahogany color with an off-white head. Woody and tart aroma with a light fruitiness underneath. The flavor was fairly tart with some light cherry taste. Pleasant woody finish. Light to medium bodied.

jonno (2771) - JAPAN - FEB 26, 2010
You’re either with the brett or against it. I can see this beer oscillating between a life changing experience and a complete drain pour. Nose is funky, dank and sour fruity. In the mouth it has almost champagne like presence, but with bracing bitterness help up by a second wave of sweeter currant and cherry. The funk is all over this and was different in three different glasses. Complex but definetely a beer geeks beer. Would like a bit more body to it too, but really easy drinking for 10%. Reminded me of the cantillion kriek in MANY ways, but this has a bit more to it. Thanks vinny will have to try this directly from the source one day. Gonna give it a 4...that could vary greatly though depending on my mood.

nate2g (1548) - Boomtown!, AUSTRALIA - FEB 26, 2010
Bottle (Batch 003x4). Pours mahogany with a thin laced beige head. Quite vinous on the nose - heaps of tart cherries, oak, chocolate and earthy notes. The flavour mirrors the aroma with cherry, chocolate and various funk. Mouthfeel is quite heavy with feels very chewy, with the tartness very dominant. An extremely dry and tart finish, probably more than I’m used to. Really interesting stuff though and a style I need to try more of. Massive thanks to Jonno who came through once again!

arminjewell (9676) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - FEB 24, 2010
Pours deep red with head that quickly dissipates, batch 002. Aroma is huge grape/wine with some oak character. Taste is incredible, oak and wood up front leading into some grape/wine flavors and ending with a huge and lasting sour finish. Amazing brew!

Swilson2 (15) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 23, 2010
What didn’t I like about this beer? Honestly loved it from the first whiff of the aroma all the way through its incredibly long finish. just amazing.

Fred82 (2324) - Québec City, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 23, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 25, 2011 2oz tasting at NOTB
Appearance : Clear amber
Aroma : Fruity and tart. Slightly lactic and barnyard. A tiny bit medecinal (vicks or something).
Taste : Fruity, syrupy and nicely tart. Cherry-ish. A bit mouth puckering.
Overall : Carbonation and tartness just felt really weird on the tongue. Hard to explain but it was quite unique. The description doesn’t do it justice. I was really blown away by this beer. Really need to get a more reliable sample.

Re-rate 100710. Had two bottle samples of it and it was a bit less mind blowing. Still very good but not that good. Taste 10 to 9. Pal 5 to 4. Total 4.4 to 4.2
110125 Fixed typos

0.7
dtborelli (322) - Sacramento, California, USA - FEB 22, 2010
Russian River Consecration First true sour ale, last true sour ale. Pours brown with a reddish tinge, smallish head clear body. Aroma of red wine grapes and pickle juice. Tastes sour as hell and nasty as piss. Maybe I just don’t like or understand the style, but this tastes like shit. I was super pissed that I just poured out a $23 bottle of beer. Third time I have felt burned by this brewery. Overrated.

brianjames1 (539) - Northridge, California, USA - FEB 14, 2010
Excellent sour from RR you can really taste the currants which blend well with the brett. Out of a bottle in a tulip.

Overml01 (227) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 14, 2010
UPDATED: JUN 2, 2010 2nd Rating: Had a regular come into work tonight with this and asked if I had tried it before. I said I had, but didn’t remember loving it. We cracked it and had a little ’private tasting.’ Oh man, not sure what I was think the first time around... I can’t believe my palate would have changed much in just 3-4 months, but this is MUCH better than I remember. Would love to have more of it now, lol. 1st Rating: Bottle at Home during the race. Thanks to JohnC for sending this one out. Have to say, I’ve never been much of a Sour fan, so I won’t give this a detailed rating. But needless to say, if you’re a sour fan, give it a try. I could recognize the quality even though I didn’t appreciate this ale.

beersearcher (2382) - Glendale, California, USA - FEB 11, 2010
Two flavors are duking it out on this one. sour and spicy. after awhile the sour wins. really a pucker inducing beer. needs to be drunk separate from anything else and enjoyed for what it is.