overall
RATINGS: 1290   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronados 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
a061183 (4) - Arizona, USA - JAN 30, 2010 does not count
Drinking out of a Stone tulip. Small white head that dissipates quickly great color to it almost like a super dark cherry color. Taste is nice and sour with a little funk, but really love the sourness to it not too sour just enough IMO. Very drinkable as I will finish the 750 myself without a problem no alcohol present. Carbonation is definetley there but not too extreme, nice and sour full of cherries and currants. Overall just a great wild ale very drinkable almost too drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
skoisirius (1909) - Earth, Washington, USA - JAN 30, 2010
Another one of those situations where you think to yourself, oh yes, this is actually happening. Then you click back into the physical present, take a sip, and enjoy the full and wide range of flavors that comes along with each tiny sip...savoring as each one goes down into the gullet. Enjoying this on tap at the brewhouse was and has been a treat!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Pastor (799) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - JAN 30, 2010
Bottle split three ways among friends in tulip glasses. It had a slight head off white that just went away. The body of the brew was a red to brown. The aroma was by far the best sour I have smelled in a while there were currants, chocolate covered cherries and funk. This is one complex brew. it had a light carbonation but If I was to hand it to some of my European relatives the would immediately think this was some sort of carbonated red wine. It was fruity and slightly tart to the taste. This is a great wild one of the best I have had. Drinkability was what I expected. I took my time with the brew and enjoyed every drop and a hour after the glass was gone I wanted more. Its a world class brew from a world class brewer

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeinDahlem (1480) - Berlin, GERMANY - JAN 30, 2010
Intense, complex and tasty. 75 cL bottle... The rosy-brown color gets redder in the light. Gray bubbles dissipate quickly. Tart, fruity, vinous nose... notes of crushed red grapes, musty squeezed lemons, and caramel. Lively mouthfeel carries a light sweetness that quickly rolls tart ad dry. Nice bit of chewy tannin there too. Lingering aftertaste of fresh, unripe blackberry and dark grape.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
josarah (112) - Hinesburg, Vermont, USA - JAN 26, 2010
Nice sparkling burgundy color with a small brickish head. The nose was rich fruity tartness teasing of tastes to come. The taste is big currant with a vinegar back. This is another very drinkable beer from the fine folks at RR.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hobbersr (690) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 25, 2010
Thanks to savvvy1982 for the share. Pours a light brown with red highlights. The aroma is very nice... Berries, oak, vinegar, cake, candi sugar. The flavor is very complex. Berries, plum, red wine, vinegar, sour candy, lemon and oak. Very art and sour. Nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
SuzyGreenberg (1603) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 22, 2010
batch 001x1; 750 ml bottle; pours clear caramel brown with quickly fading off-white head; aromas on the mild side with a mix of apples, wild berries, brown sugar and oak; a very nice low-level of tartness that gives off almost a chocolate note mixed with light red wine; texture is thin with musky flavors of berries, leather, mild tobacco and pepper; not quite what I was expecting, but the low level of sourness is just the way I like it; lots of oaky sweetness with mild barn funk and leathery mouthfeel; nothing here punches you in the face, but it is rather a delicate dance of subtleties; a deeper richness and complexity develops as it warms; pretty damn good and nothing really to complain about, but surprising to me that this a top 5 sour ale as its not even in my top 5 from russian river

Soonah (1120) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - JAN 19, 2010
From Stefanje via trade. The pour was clear and dark copper with maybe a hint of ruby. The head was off-white and comprised of fizzy bubbles with lots of active carbonation streaming upwards. The initial aroma was tart fruit (currants I suppose), band-aid and funk. As it opened up some softer vanilla came out making it very nicely balanced. The flavor was currant, funk, sour and eventually some vanilla. Relatively thin body, bone dry and a very succinct finish. Refreshing, drinkable and no hint of 10% ABV to be found. Really good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
502Che (999) - @, CAMBODIA - JAN 16, 2010
American wild Fuck the fuck yeah. Good old red white a blue. Drinking with a friend at noon after a long night of stripper and booze. Been holding this for a long time, didnt expect it to go down like this, but here we go. Aroma: sweet and tart dark fruits (cherries, plumbs, dark grapes), some brettyness and some wild yeast funk. The flavor is very full and complex. PLenty of dark fruity with a full funky finish. The carbonation is a really big flaw in this one though. It is very carbonated, which I can understand is arguably to style (for some lambics) but the carbonation bubbles are very big and fizzy, like in a soda. If it had nice fine bubbles it might work to compliment the beer, but my friend and I both agree that the huge carbonation sort of clears the flavor from our palates. It weird. Great ruby red color-- clear but dark. The head is just fizzy and weak and disappears almost instantly. Overall: a damn good beer worthy of its hype. The carbonation is whats holding this one back for me (no head, too big of carbonation), but I cant deny its brilliant aroma and flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ben4321 (6231) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JAN 14, 2010
Location: 22 oz bottle from NickD717, 1/14/10
Batch 002X1

Aroma: The nose of this one is strongly reminiscent of the carbernet barrels that it is aged in (wine and oak). Its got tart fruit, some wood, grapes, apples, cherry, booze, some funk, and maybe a bit of tobacco.
Appearance: This one pours a cloudy and dark burgundy color with a lasting light brown head.
Flavor: It has quite an interesting flavor with a distinct fruity sweetness followed by just the right amount of funk in the finish. All those components of the nose combine, and the result is a good balance of the sweet and sour.
Palate: This beer has a really nice mouthfeel thats both fizzy and smooth, a medium body, and the ABV is so well-hidden that this one could really cause some problems.
Overall Impression: Another nice one from Nick! You West Coast guys are spoiled by being able to get Russian River stuff so easily. I wish I could walk into my local liquor store and pick up bottles of their beers anytime I wanted. Anyway, this beer was obviously quite good. I can tell by how much Im writing about this beer, that I must really be enjoying it. Its just really well constructed with a wonderful amount of complexity to it, a great nose, a great flavor, and a great overall feel. I really like this one.