overall
RATINGS: 1275   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

Fred82 (2331) - Québec City, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 23, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 25, 2011 2oz tasting at NOTB
Appearance : Clear amber
Aroma : Fruity and tart. Slightly lactic and barnyard. A tiny bit medecinal (vicks or something).
Taste : Fruity, syrupy and nicely tart. Cherry-ish. A bit mouth puckering.
Overall : Carbonation and tartness just felt really weird on the tongue. Hard to explain but it was quite unique. The description doesn’t do it justice. I was really blown away by this beer. Really need to get a more reliable sample.

Re-rate 100710. Had two bottle samples of it and it was a bit less mind blowing. Still very good but not that good. Taste 10 to 9. Pal 5 to 4. Total 4.4 to 4.2
110125 Fixed typos

0.7
dtborelli (322) - Sacramento, California, USA - FEB 22, 2010
Russian River Consecration First true sour ale, last true sour ale. Pours brown with a reddish tinge, smallish head clear body. Aroma of red wine grapes and pickle juice. Tastes sour as hell and nasty as piss. Maybe I just don’t like or understand the style, but this tastes like shit. I was super pissed that I just poured out a $23 bottle of beer. Third time I have felt burned by this brewery. Overrated.

brianjames1 (539) - Northridge, California, USA - FEB 14, 2010
Excellent sour from RR you can really taste the currants which blend well with the brett. Out of a bottle in a tulip.

Overml01 (227) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 14, 2010
UPDATED: JUN 2, 2010 2nd Rating: Had a regular come into work tonight with this and asked if I had tried it before. I said I had, but didn’t remember loving it. We cracked it and had a little ’private tasting.’ Oh man, not sure what I was think the first time around... I can’t believe my palate would have changed much in just 3-4 months, but this is MUCH better than I remember. Would love to have more of it now, lol. 1st Rating: Bottle at Home during the race. Thanks to JohnC for sending this one out. Have to say, I’ve never been much of a Sour fan, so I won’t give this a detailed rating. But needless to say, if you’re a sour fan, give it a try. I could recognize the quality even though I didn’t appreciate this ale.

beersearcher (2382) - Glendale, California, USA - FEB 11, 2010
Two flavors are duking it out on this one. sour and spicy. after awhile the sour wins. really a pucker inducing beer. needs to be drunk separate from anything else and enjoyed for what it is.

brokensail (16609) - Dublin, California, USA - FEB 11, 2010
A: Opaque, dark brown with a very noticeable reddish tint. S: The nose is sour in general, but specifically sour cherries. The oak barrel also really comes through. T: Again, lots of sour cherries. Quite tart. Maybe also some grapes and you definitely get the currants. The combination of the Brett, barrel, and fruit give the beer a very dry and tannic character.. M: The body is rather full with a high level of carbonation and a very dry finish. D: Incredible. You would never know the ABV strength of this beer as the alcohol is completely covered by the wonderful taste.

BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - FEB 10, 2010
Bottle: Pours a dark brown color with a nice head. The nose is tart and ripe with grapes, brett and sour peaches. A nice malty body and mouthfeel to accompany and a balanced tart/bitter finish. Very rounded offering with a great fruitiness, tartness and explosive barnyard qualities. Thanks Matt!

bierkoning (13451) - La Tropica/Doarp, NETHERLANDS - FEB 8, 2010
Batch 001/2. Corked bottle. Vinous, oaky aroma with raisin and dark chocolate. Sweet and sour flavor with lemony tartness. Raisin, toffee, oak. Vinous with notes of grapes. Lovely complex brew.

WayOuttaTune (22) - Pacifica, California, USA - FEB 7, 2010
Dark brown color with frothy tan head that was very bubbly. Carbonation can be seen shooting quickly up the sides of the glass. The smell stung with a hint of sour, bready malt, and currants, and funky yeast. Taste is slightly sweet and moderate/heavy tart sourness that backs off gently as you breathe. Very crisp and carbonated mouthfeel, and it hits you in the back of the tongue with puckering sourness. Incredibly well-balanced with some sweet malt, tart fruit, great mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

mattmc1973 (479) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - FEB 5, 2010
750 ml bomber poured into a wine glass (had to improvise at in-law’s house). Cloudy brown color with frothy tan head. Carbonation can be seen shooting quickly up the sides of the glass. For aroma, sourness is the first thing that hits your nose. Some sweet bready malt, tart grapes and currants, and funky yeast. Taste is slightly sweet and moderate/heavy tart sourness. Very crisp and carbonated mouthfeel, and it hits you in the back of the tongue with puckering sourness. Incredibly well-balanced with some sweet malt, tart fruit, great mouthfeel. Just a masterpiece!