overall
RATINGS: 1295   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

hobbersr (690) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 25, 2010
Thanks to savvvy1982 for the share. Pours a light brown with red highlights. The aroma is very nice... Berries, oak, vinegar, cake, candi sugar. The flavor is very complex. Berries, plum, red wine, vinegar, sour candy, lemon and oak. Very art and sour. Nice.

SuzyGreenberg (1603) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 22, 2010
batch 001x1; 750 ml bottle; pours clear caramel brown with quickly fading off-white head; aromas on the mild side with a mix of apples, wild berries, brown sugar and oak; a very nice low-level of tartness that gives off almost a chocolate note mixed with light red wine; texture is thin with musky flavors of berries, leather, mild tobacco and pepper; not quite what I was expecting, but the low level of sourness is just the way I like it; lots of oaky sweetness with mild barn funk and leathery mouthfeel; nothing here punches you in the face, but it is rather a delicate dance of subtleties; a deeper richness and complexity develops as it warms; pretty damn good and nothing really to complain about, but surprising to me that this a top 5 sour ale as it’s not even in my top 5 from russian river

Soonah (1120) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - JAN 19, 2010
From Stefanje via trade. The pour was clear and dark copper with maybe a hint of ruby. The head was off-white and comprised of fizzy bubbles with lots of active carbonation streaming upwards. The initial aroma was tart fruit (currants I suppose), band-aid and funk. As it opened up some softer vanilla came out making it very nicely balanced. The flavor was currant, funk, sour and eventually some vanilla. Relatively thin body, bone dry and a very succinct finish. Refreshing, drinkable and no hint of 10% ABV to be found. Really good.

502Che (999) - @, CAMBODIA - JAN 16, 2010
American wild Fuck the fuck yeah. Good old red white a blue. Drinking with a friend at noon after a long night of stripper and booze. Been holding this for a long time, didn’t expect it to go down like this, but here we go. Aroma: sweet and tart dark fruits (cherries, plumbs, dark grapes), some brettyness and some wild yeast funk. The flavor is very full and complex. PLenty of dark fruity with a full funky finish. The carbonation is a really big flaw in this one though. It is very carbonated, which I can understand is arguably to style (for some lambics) but the carbonation bubbles are very big and fizzy, like in a soda. If it had nice fine bubbles it might work to compliment the beer, but my friend and I both agree that the huge carbonation sort of clears the flavor from our palates. It weird. Great ruby red color-- clear but dark. The head is just fizzy and weak and disappears almost instantly. Overall: a damn good beer worthy of its hype. The carbonation is whats holding this one back for me (no head, too big of carbonation), but I can’t deny its brilliant aroma and flavor.

ben4321 (6500) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JAN 14, 2010
Location: 22 oz bottle from NickD717, 1/14/10
Batch 002X1

Aroma: The nose of this one is strongly reminiscent of the carbernet barrels that it is aged in (wine and oak). It’s got tart fruit, some wood, grapes, apples, cherry, booze, some funk, and maybe a bit of tobacco.
Appearance: This one pours a cloudy and dark burgundy color with a lasting light brown head.
Flavor: It has quite an interesting flavor with a distinct fruity sweetness followed by just the right amount of funk in the finish. All those components of the nose combine, and the result is a good balance of the sweet and sour.
Palate: This beer has a really nice mouthfeel that’s both fizzy and smooth, a medium body, and the ABV is so well-hidden that this one could really cause some problems.
Overall Impression: Another nice one from Nick! You West Coast guys are spoiled by being able to get Russian River stuff so easily. I wish I could walk into my local liquor store and pick up bottles of their beers anytime I wanted. Anyway, this beer was obviously quite good. I can tell by how much I’m writing about this beer, that I must really be enjoying it. It’s just really well constructed with a wonderful amount of complexity to it, a great nose, a great flavor, and a great overall feel. I really like this one.

DandyWolfFloyd (1202) - Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 11, 2010
The intial aroma is mild, with tart acidic cherry and very faint oak notes. This beer has an initial huge frothy tan -white head that simmers out to nothingness. The body has a very dark clean almost totally opaque crimson body. The initial flavor is full of tart acidic cherry, pear, some yeasty undertones and a very subtle alcohol. The irony about the flavor is the fact that it is has a communion wine feel about itself. Its flavor really take off as it warms. Taking on a very heavy dose of tart and sour fruit, both cherry and pear. This is a very tasty, easily drinkable brew, with a comparison to a quality sherry. The beer is appropriately effervescent and a little tart at the end.

Hopper (827) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - JAN 11, 2010
Batch 003X4. A ruby color beer with a decent head that fizzles away extremely fast in a very Alka-Seltzer way. The aroma is very sour, very fruity, mint, medicine, & barnyard-wow thats a lot of stuff. The taste is a massive mouth puckering, very sour & fruity, Jolly Rancherish. This is a real palate wrecker leaving your mouth extremely dry & will affect the taste of any beer you drink after this no matter how good you cleanse your palate. The 10%ABV is hidden inside all those flavors. I can not wait to see how the rest of these age.

cking (1175) - North Canton, Ohio, USA - JAN 9, 2010
"This beer has a lot going on, plenty of sour and funky notes to intrigue coupled with a hearty malt body to prevent this from being one dimensional. Not over the top for a sour ale, in fact it’s damn near perfect in it’s application. Pours a dark amber brown with a filmy tan head and a handful of streaks of lacing. Aroma opens up immediately and provides a whiff of sour cherry, funky yeast and oak. Feels fantastic as it livens up the taste buds and finishes tart and smooth. Sour fruit flavor with a trace of vinegar. Candi sugar, fruit cake and cereal malt flavors followed by a nutty and woody characteristic. Fairly dry and great to sip on at a steady pace."

MaltDawg (1344) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JAN 8, 2010
(Sample Date: 8/1/2009 Source:Other) Bottle courtesy of Dkatchur. Batch 001X1. Black current is more raisin and dark fruit. Nice malitiness with spicy hops and yeast notes. Almost clear dark amber brown. Quite sour with oak and dark fruit in flavor. Acidity from very high carbonation. Finish is dry and sour.

waltersrj (280) - Washington, USA - JAN 7, 2010
The pour was a deep mahogany with a quickly fading off white head. Nose was currants, chocolate, oak, and pinot noir. The taste was sour grape, currant, and chocolate with cherries. I’m not sure what to really think since this was my first attempt at trying a sour ale. I guess it was fine but i don’t think i’ll try many of these in the future. I’d honestly rather have a lambic if i’m gonna have something that doesn’t really taste at all like a beer. I’ll give this thing a good rating though being that it has been given a 100 by everyone else.