overall
RATINGS: 1274   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

ruffhauser (29) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 29, 2009
Poured at Malt and Vine bottle shop in Redmond, WA. Real nice sour, but not over-the-top. Don’t do one of these if you have acid reflux, as this is a heartburn inducing mother. A little hide-and-seek with the alcohol, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

MadIndian (2743) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 29, 2009
Sampled at Night of Funk. Ruby red pour with thin white head. Fruit sour aroma. Oak tart fruity flavor. I liked it and I am not a fan of the style. Reminded me a little of wine.

09maso3 (72) - vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 28, 2009
Colour is deep brown-red with rapidly dissapating head. oaky cab sauv aroma. currants, cab, tannins and oak in the flavour. Intense sourness. Quite light with a tannic aftertaste. Delicious!

Miksu (5053) - Jyväskylä, FINLAND - OCT 27, 2009
Bottled, thanks Vode! Deep red color, sparkling appearance. Rich sweet and sour aroma with cherry, strawberry, blueberry, red currant (cabernet sauvignon), oak and vanilla. Sweet and sour flavor with acidic fruitiness (strawberry, red currant) and oak. Very firm vinous, acidic and complex flavor. Perfect level of oakiness. Perhaps slightly too acidic for me but I’m perfectly happy with this.

Gregis (1281) - Stilwell, Kansas, USA - OCT 24, 2009
Bottle shared by beastiefan2k. Thanks Eugene. Pours a cloudy, reddish brown with a thin ring of beige bubbles. The nose is of sweet, dark fruit, spicy red wine and light tobacco. Medium-bodied and effervescent with a tart to sweet finish. The flavor is of tart, dark fruit (black currants?), Cabernet Sauvignon and an odd chemical note. This one is interesting, but it’s not as amazing its reputation would’ve made me believe.

Boutip (6432) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 23, 2009
Bottle: Poured a hazy reddish color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some good lacing. Aroma of oak and tart notes with some blackcurrant notes – very complex. Taste is also a very complex mix between some blackcurrant, some tart notes and some pedio with light sweet figs at the end. Body is quite full for style with good carbonation and no signs of alcohol even though it does pack quite a punch. Very well done.

Brigadier (3710) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - OCT 19, 2009
750 ml bottle
Thanks to a generous trader for sending me a bottle of this a few months ago. For Rating #1200 it seemed like a slam dunk so I fished it out of the cellar and let it chill for about an hour. My reward was one of the best sours I have tried - there are a few lambics which are better but this is not one to complain about.

Aroma / Appearance - Reddish black and opaque with a short lived head there was still plenty of carbonation. Citric acid, black cherries, and oak form a crisp sourness about on par with a mellow Cantillon. It smells almost like a cola which has been spiked with brett and lacto.

Flavor / Palate - Tart hayseed, flat cola, and raspberries rinse the tongue before drying out the throat. Medium grade as I expected this was drinkable without being too harsh on the palate. The total impression is like an amped up New Glarus Unplugged Olde English Porter - maybe that will take on some of the same characteristics in time. It wasn’t hard to finish two glasses but I would not want to drink a whole bottle by myself.

hombrepalo (1971) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 19, 2009
Bottle thanks to Byaeger (thanks Brian). Pours a murky amber-brown with a small beige head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is strong with berries, wine, spicy oak, and funk. The flavor is complex with sour cherry pits, berries, lots of oak, red wine(merlot or cab), vanilla and caramel. The mouthfeel is silky smooth with lively carbonation. The finish is long and dry with lingering complex tart flavors. Overall an impressive sour.

thenick (766) - North Bellmore, New York, USA - OCT 19, 2009
Sample @ BBF Night of the Funk. Pours a deep brown with a thin off-white head. Aroma is oak, dark fruit, and a bit of brett/funk as well. Taste is cherry, currant, raisin, with an explosion into a funky oak finish that pulls the beer together beautifully. I was almost in tears at the quality of this beer. This brewery is now 2 for 2 with me, and I can’t wait to try more from them.

alobar (3863) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 18, 2009
Dark brown color with a thin tan head and lots of carbonation. Powerful aroma of dark fruit, oak, and some vinegar. Tastes of tannin, cherry, oak, and a sour vinegar ending. One of the best.