Russian River Deviation (Bottleworks IX)

overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 264   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.17/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 205   ABV: 6.83%
In celebration of Bottleworks 9th Anniversary, we are proud to present Deviation - a beer unique in every sense. This remarkable blend combines the oak aged diversity of PHI, Orphan Ale, and Sonambic Ale with 100% Brettanomyces Ale (Sanctification) and is bottle conditioned with additional Brettanomyces. Thanks Vinnie. Your beer is a testament to the art of deviation. 6.83%

BOLTZ7555 (3028) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JUN 2, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2011 Tangerine pour with only a whispy eggshell colored head. Aroma fills the nostrils with Granny Smith, lemongrass, brett, barnyard, and freshly blooming flower garden. Flavor is also quite floral, with citrus pith, jolly ranchers, and aged balsamic. Nice creamy mouthfeel for the style. Really enjoyed this one!!! BUMP!!!

MrChopin (4305) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - FEB 6, 2010
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2011 Bottle thanks to trevor211!
2/6/2010 - So many save great beer for the best moments, whether to celebrate an event or highlight a milestone. I had a real shitty day, so I’m cracking a cellar gem. It was almost a year ago that I had a small glass thanks to the Cleveland crew. I would have given it a 5.0 then. I remember the somewhat rowdy room (Lebron had just hit "the shot") quieting and collecting around the bottle, and the ensuing debate over Cantillon tradition vs. Russian River innovation. I guess this whole waste of a first paragraph is to say that each beer has a story... no need to wait to celebrate another.

This time around, I’m the selfish glutton. Whole bottle. Sorry Pgh crew. Pours fiery grapefruit, white head that doesn’t die, bubbly carbonation. I have just sniffed a 4.9 Temptation, best batch of that I’ve ever had, but this nose beats that one. It’s the fruit that makes this special, the fruit I still remember back in Cleveland. The brett and oak just roll off into this fruit combo that stuns: cherry, tangerine, mango... I don’t remember the flavor being this good, but again, perfect balance of yeast and fruit with the wood age showing. What really surprises me, though, is the finish, which first reveals this blast of tangerine right after the brett is swallowed, but then begins oscillating with lemon long... so very long this finish is.

In the end, there is nothing about this beer that sticks out. That’s because everything works here, start to finish. Perfect integration and control. I would have given this 5.0 when hammered in Cleveland. I give it a 5.0 now, enjoying it takes me from sober to buzzed, my day from shitty to special.

andrewje41 (4519) - Kenmore, Washington, USA - MAR 28, 2015
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2017 Draft pour at the Brouwers cafe 10th anniversary party. What a great way to celebrate! Pours a super fizzy orange color with a ton of head and lace. Fresh apricot and tangerine like aroma. Flavor is very much the same, which is fantastic. Has a lingering sour apricot flavor late in the palate. I don?t know. Anything I could say about this beer wouldn?t accurately describe how good it is. I started to wonder if my anticipation to try this beer finally may have swayed my judgement, and after about two seconds of thought, I decided no. Fantastic beer to say the least. Loved everything about it. I really hope I run into this again someday. Sum this up in one word: yes. Update: 750 mL bottle poured at Brouwers. Nothing has changed. This is the perfect beer. The only thing I can possibly change about this beer is that I enjoyed it even more. So I finally have it. The perfect beer. UPDATE: Retry month 2017. Draft 4 oz pour at Brouwers the day before Sour Fest. Weird! Just needed to confirm that this is still my favorite beer. Indeed it is! Hope this isn’t the last go.