overall
RATINGS: 2690   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "lupus Salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, humulus Lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncle’s legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pliny the Elder, the beer, is brewed with 40% more malt and over twice the amount of hops as compared to our already hoppy IPA.

ryanscourt (1580) - Latrobe, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 29, 2018
I admit I come in a little biased, drinks like todays ipa. Great beer though the market is saturated with ones similar. Price is fair though.

Rotoloboi (10) - - JAN 20, 2018
Had this at a friends house she’s amazing. So was the beer. Cooper is a great dog. He is also a companion. His ears are perfect. I gave him a pizza. Then I took the squeaker away and he got sad. But he looks happy now. So that’s all that matters (: ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Kmeggs1 (24) - - JAN 18, 2018
I have heard about this beer for years . Finally I had the chance to get a few and I didn’t look back . By far the pinnacle of all IPA’s with huge pine and floral hops nestled in between malts leaving you wanting another taste. I was worried after all the hype that it would be a let down. The answer is Hell No , this is the reason they all talk about it , this is the reason it is worth the wait. This is the reason that Pliny is Pliny ! The best beer I’ve ever had. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

bobfohl () - San Jose, California, USA - JAN 17, 2018
A great legendary brew, the first double ipa, bought at the brewery, 5.50 a bottle. Very enjoyable, very clear, wished they would do an unfiltered version. Notes of citrus, pine, tropical flavors, very good..

YeastRespek10 (1) - - JAN 7, 2018 does not count
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2018 This beer randomly happened to be in our fridge at work. Was a fantastic surprise. I was unfamiliar with this sweet nectar until then. It is understandably in high demand.

La sentinelle (79) - Jinan, CHINA - JAN 7, 2018
Aroma-10/12 Appearance-3/3 Flavor-18/20 Mouthfe Impression-9/10 Total-45/50 风格:Double IPA 酒精度:8.0%vol 灌装日期:2017.10.11 饮用日期:2018.01.

Slick75 (30) - - JAN 6, 2018
This is an excellent beer. I'll start with the short comings but there aren't many. It pours with a poor head. The color is so light and clear, you're convinced that it's a domestic pilsner. The smell is very floral and the taste is so delicious. It is a smooth and very well-balanced IPA. Might be the most well-balanced IPA I've ever had. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

dukeandduke (313) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 1, 2018
12/19/17: $12 + tax and tip, 1 pint 1.25 oz bottle poured into a snifter at West 4th and Jane. Light blond clear pour, minimal head and carbonation. Strong pine aroma, hops, mixture of sweet and strong hops. One of the strongest aromas from a beer I have ever had. Hops and pine predominant tastes. Strong mouth feel, firm, dry pleasant drinking. Overall excellent beer, thanks David for the tip!

beerking1953 (26) - - DEC 31, 2017
Textbook example of great Beer. Would love to have this one any time of year.

Bill Becker (2049) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - DEC 20, 2017
From Aug 2008 I was only able to snag one bottle for myself; I'm sure it'll be easier to find in CO in the future. Let me preface this by saying that I've had samples of this brew at a few GABFs and along side Pliny The Younger, I thought this one played second fiddle. A nice medium gold in colour with a good 2 finger billowy head of foam. Good head retention as well as good lacing. The smell is massively hoppy. Lots of grapefruit and mango with other bitter fruit notes along with pine and..well..I don't perceive any malt presence at all but I *expected* that. The taste has all of the hop characters I mentioned in the smell with just the slightest "hint" of some malt. Maybe that will change as I get further into the session. The mouthfeel is nice at medium though at times, it feels more like light, and there's some oily slickness on the tongue. The carbonation is on the high end of light but that's working very nicely here. For an 8%abv brew, I think RR did well to hide it..probably because the flavours are too powerful for me to notice it. ;^) Man, this is one bitter brew! I'm halfway done with my glass and the malt can still only be called as having a "meek" role. Still, this one is and was all about the hops and in that, they've succeeded to the nth degree and I was just in the mood for a good, bitter DIPA but I don't think I could drink this on a regular basis as it's just palate "destroying". I think I prefer Blind Pig but that's just me...