overall
RATINGS: 2867   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "lupus Salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, humulus Lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncleís legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pliny the Elder, the beer, is brewed with 40% more malt and over twice the amount of hops as compared to our already hoppy IPA.

sarahmarie (265) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 19, 2009
UPDATED: DEC 13, 2010 one of the best hands down. achieving an impeccable balance of insanely juicy bitter hoppiness and sweet malty complexities. Simply blows me away.

jstraw (1967) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 19, 2009
Hazy darker orange with good, creamy white head / Nose of fresh pine, orange and cream / Medium body, with good malts and biting hops, and with fine finish / Flavors of cut pine, caramel, orange, grapefruit, and resin / Doesnít eclipse Dogfish 90 or Dreadnaught, but a very fine beer.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 18, 2009
First off, a big thanks to my cousin for bringing this beer with him to OH on a x-country trip from CA. Iíve had this beer at festivals on draft, and thought it was amazing. However, I usually donít rate from samples, so I havenít rated it until I got my own bottle. And while the bottle was very good, I donít think it was as fresh as the samples Iíve had on draft. Because while the bottle I got was certainly very good, it wasnít the hop ecstasy I experienced in the draft form. So, in this review, Iíll likely split the difference. Color is far lighter than I wouldíve expected. It looks like a golden ale - not too thick, a very light blond/golden color, with a nice amount of head piled on top - a nice picture. Aroma was very hoppy (but hoppier on draft) and was very pine-y and resin-y. Beer was balanced with a nice malt framework...even though this beer is packed with hops, it didnít unbalanced. Mouthfeel is light and pleasant. I swear I could drink a gallon of this stuff without feeling stuffed and like my mouth was coated with cotton candy (the way I would feel with other very hoppy, sticky IPAs). This beer deserves its accolades. It really is one of the best!

stoliver54 (4) - Colorado, USA - SEP 16, 2009 does not count
Great Beer! I could drink this all the time, very smooth. The aroma and the flavor are something to cherish and for others to aspire to. I only wish I could find a more reliable source, as it is hard to come by around here.

bkjones (1) - USA - SEP 14, 2009 does not count
I love everything about this beer except for the completely over the top hopping. Itís true that they did it right by balancing things with a hefty malt backbone to support and offset the hops, and at least being advertised as an imperial IPA forewarns, but I donít think getting cottonmouth from a beer is necessarily pleasant. I love hops, but thereís such a thing as "too much"

mezr (126) - California, USA - SEP 13, 2009
500 ml bottle, bottled on 8/19/2009. Pours a beautiful yellow-gold. The medium head is thick, creamy and laces well on the glass. The aroma alone is reason enough to buy this beer. Huge, fresh pine is the first note, followed by layers of citrus. Just when I think it canít get any better Ö I take a sip and am rewarded with a wonderful balance of citrus and resiny, piney hops. So many bold tastes and sensations going on that it could easily overwhelm and miss the mark, but instead it takes me to the zenith and holds me there. Iíve had the great fortune of enjoying this beer a number of times before, and every time I do itís like falling in love all over again. Russian River has brewed an epic masterpiece in every way.

Delirium (669) - Falmouth, Cornwall, ENGLAND - SEP 12, 2009
500-mL bottle. Pours yellow-golden with a large, lasting white head and plenty of lacing. Nice, strong pine-hop aroma. Flavor is a well-blended mix of woody bitterness, hop resin, and slightly sweet malt backing. Bit of tropical fruit and grass mixed in there. Excellent DIPA.

Macadem (103) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 9, 2009
A crisp, clean, and incredibly refreshing IIPA, this is mind-blowingly aromatic and delicious. Beautiful citrus hops make a wonderful fresh pine forest and juniper aroma. Tastes of hops, pine and juniper. Incredible lacing. Shared with Hobbersr and courtesy of savvy1982, thanks for sharing this second bottle with me.

ben4321 (6416) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - SEP 8, 2009
Location: 500 ml bottle via trade with NickD717, 9/8/09
I have been looking forward to this one since it arrived in the mail, and it lived up to the expectations.

Aroma: Wonderful aroma of citrus hops, peach, pine hops, hops, some mild caramel thanks to the nose, right off the bat I can tell this beer is going to be wonderful.
Appearance: Pours a nice hazy bright orange color, with a wispy white head, and retains some nice, almost uniform, spotty lace on the glass.
Flavor: I thought that nose would be hard to live up to, well it does, great hoppy flavor, some nice peach, pine, and just a little caramel/bread malts for "balance."
Palate: Really nice palate as well, smooth and easy to drink. Giving this a 5 over a 4 purely because of the absurd drinkability, I could drink this constantly.
Overall Impression: Iím jealous of everyone who gets to drink this stuff regularly, I kind of want to move to the West Coast just so I can drink more Pliny! I canít even imagine how good the Younger must be. Seriously Nick, you are one lucky bastard for living so close to these guys, color me jealous! I could probably rant about this beer for hours, and I can see why people call Russian River the best IPA brewery (after having only this and Blind Pig, I might be inclined to agree). Wow, I have certainly found a new beer to add to my favorite list, that is for sure. Hereís the ultimate compliment: my glass is almost empty, and it is actually making me sad that I canít just pop another one of these. I look forward to seeing "Ben has a new Top 10 beer..." next to my rating for the next few days, with regards to this beer.

osu97gp (678) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 6, 2009
Pours a cloudy gold. Aroma is of citrus hops. Flavor matches the aroma with some malts. Very smooth and not overpowering. I like this one.