overall
RATINGS: 2859   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "lupus Salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, humulus Lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncles legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pliny the Elder, the beer, is brewed with 40% more malt and over twice the amount of hops as compared to our already hoppy IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
iowaherkeye (2703) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - JUL 26, 2009
On tap @ the brewpub. I swear this has got to be my 5th time entering this rating, but hell, I dunno. I blame Joe! Clear dark honey with a one finger off-white head, pretty good retention. Luckily, this batch was put on tap within the last week, and the dank herbal notes are still intact. Pine and citrus rinds also abound, though not a lot of malts--but that isnt expected. The flavor does add some caramel sweetness, but still cant hold up to the hop bitterness onslaught. Dry herbal finish with bitterness peaking around a 7, alcohol slightly warming the belly. Burps pine. Moderate carbonation with a medium-full body. So deliciously awesome, I cant put in words--once this has been on tap a couple weeks it does lose some of its luster, but fresh, I may even prefer it to the overly expensive, undated Dreadnaught.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
harrisoni (18052) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - JUL 22, 2009
50cl bottle from trade with Cgarvieuk. First off, and it is a big first off, thanks to Cgarvieuk for trading this for me. Cheers Craig, without you, I wouldnt have had this beer. Craig is becoming one of the best traders in the UK. The beer is gold orange with a lasting white head, that keeps its condition. Very piney hops on the aroma. Some almost meaty pate. Piney leafy grapefruit. Great aroma, but not the best ever so a 9 I think here, because the piney hops are good, but maybe not quite fresh leafy enough for a 10. God this is hard, as Ive had some delicious flavours in my mouth so far today. Almost salty resiny piney in the mouth. God the finish is huge. I mean huge. What an assault of hops. Glad Im sat down or would have fallen down. Aroma and finish are amazing, but the middle does go a bit walkabout. Some toffee, but not a huge amount of malt to back up the hops. Drinkable, but I think a little lacking in structure in the mouth. I mean I am being really picky here. Most beers I wouldnt worry about, but this deserves my full concentration. Start and finish are brilliant, straight off one of the best beers Ive had. And itll get a very very good score. But this is going up against some of my favourite beers, and this is where its going, so Im now comparing this to the top 20 beers Ive had. Yes, I love it, but it doesnt quite stir the passion of some others. Mind you that, finish does reach down to my groin and rips my balls back up through my throat. Now it just comes down to a holistic feel about the beer. And this is where it becomes difficult, splitting the reputation, the difficulty in getting it, from the beer itself. What if Id never heard of it and just drank it? Well, as a beer it is still incredibly good. The aroma of piney hops, the drinkability in the mouth and the finish is just about the best Ive had. Maybe just a bit too soft in the mouth. But this really is gorgeous. The very top echelon? Not quite. But pretty damn close. Thanks again to Ratebeer for letting me know this beer existed and thanks to Craig for letting me try it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Maddog (526) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - JUL 22, 2009
Lets not beat around the bush, this beer kicks some serious a$$. Had on draft at the Falling Rock in Denver, CO, and I nearly fell over when I saw it on the list. The owner thinks that this is the farthest east that RR has come. Wow, what a brew! Floral and fruity on the nose, huge hop presence, big citrus hops with a big backbone of malt and even some spice. A huge, tasty beer. A hop heads dream. Big hops, huge body and a lot of fresh citrus. As it warms, the flavor somehow improves...just magic. This is what an Imperial IPA is supposed to taste like!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Strykzone (7193) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - JUL 20, 2009
Thanks Jason! Enjoyed following Blind Pig. Its my birthday and I had 2 great beers!! Pour is a light brown with a small off white head. A nice floral and citrus aroma. Such a well balanced beer! Hops are big, but not overpowering. They are evened by sweet malt that is oatmeal and applesauce. This is a Double IPA that is dangerously easy to drink. So smooth and tasty. This is art in a bottle. Just so good! Appearance and palate were typical of the style and brought down my rating but this is a truly exceptional beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Birdiebeagle (958) - Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 20, 2009
Bottle from My Secret Santa, thx santa. Pours a hazy orange gold with a good lasting off white head. The head is foamy and laces well. Has a good hoppy aroma of citrus, and musty pine. Has a good carbonation and a wonderful mouthfeel. The taste is great. More thin than thick but a great mix. Has a super bitterness too it but is so well balanced it works great. Alcohol is hidden very well. The texture is thin as I said earlier. Has a great finish and the perfect aftertaste. This is just one awesome beer. Has a medium body. I would drink this anytime anywhere I love this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
AndyReynolds (1085) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUL 20, 2009
UPDATED: APR 27, 2014 Pours a warm light copper with thin white head. Good lacing. Aroma is strong with hops and grapefruit. Notes of grass and other citrus fruits also jump out. On the mouth it feels crisp and refreshing. It is very light considering how strong the hop pressence is. The finish is refreshing and smooth. Overall, this is by far one of the best IPAs I have ever had. I really enjoyed it and wish some place around me sold it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
Skeegle (566) - Maryland, USA - JUL 19, 2009
My god, about the lighest, most hoppy beer there is. So light it almost tastes juicy, and the juice is alllll grapefruit. Wow, this is one hell of a beer for citrus lovers. Probably the best one Ive had, save for Yulesmith. So crisp it tastes like drinking carbonated grapefruit juice with a shot of thin lively something or other in it. Mmmm, so good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - JUL 17, 2009
I really really wanted to try this and it was almost as good as I thought it would be. Pours a golden color with a long lasting tall white head. Nice aroma which smells like piney hops more than citrus... maybe Im wrong on that. Thin mouthfeel which I wasnt a huge fan of, but the overall flavor is great. Nice mild bitterness, that isnt too biting but you definitely know there was a heavy dosage of hops. Great stuff, but theres a bunch of other DIPAs i would rather drink

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hophead21112 (218) - Louisville, Colorado, USA - JUL 16, 2009
Hazy copper pour with a fluffy off-white head. Excellent retention, sticky lace. The beer looks delicious. Aroma consists of pineapple, grapefruit, orange, a touch of pine. Flavor starts off caramel sweet and carbonation followed eventually by citrus bitterness and a dry finish. Hides the 8% very nicely! Smooth medium body, moderate low carbonation. This is what a west coast IIPA should taste like. Great beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
savnac (2391) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUL 15, 2009
Bottle with a bottled on date of 6-10-09. Slightly murky pale orange with a medium white head. Unusual perfume aroma with hints of lemon, grass, wheat, and cat piss(???). Very bitter flavor, this thing will pucker you up, there is a sweetness lingering in there but dominantly bitter. Medium body with slick almost oily mouth feel, a bit lighter than most IIPAs. This is a full blown hop monster of an IIPA but goes down smooth.