RATINGS: 2693   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "lupus Salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, humulus Lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncle’s legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pliny the Elder, the beer, is brewed with 40% more malt and over twice the amount of hops as compared to our already hoppy IPA.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

dukeandduke (323) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 1, 2018
12/19/17: $12 + tax and tip, 1 pint 1.25 oz bottle poured into a snifter at West 4th and Jane. Light blond clear pour, minimal head and carbonation. Strong pine aroma, hops, mixture of sweet and strong hops. One of the strongest aromas from a beer I have ever had. Hops and pine predominant tastes. Strong mouth feel, firm, dry pleasant drinking. Overall excellent beer, thanks David for the tip!

beerking1953 (26) - - DEC 31, 2017
Textbook example of great Beer. Would love to have this one any time of year.

Bitterbill (2079) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - DEC 20, 2017
From Aug 2008 I was only able to snag one bottle for myself; I'm sure it'll be easier to find in CO in the future. Let me preface this by saying that I've had samples of this brew at a few GABFs and along side Pliny The Younger, I thought this one played second fiddle. A nice medium gold in colour with a good 2 finger billowy head of foam. Good head retention as well as good lacing. The smell is massively hoppy. Lots of grapefruit and mango with other bitter fruit notes along with pine and..well..I don't perceive any malt presence at all but I *expected* that. The taste has all of the hop characters I mentioned in the smell with just the slightest "hint" of some malt. Maybe that will change as I get further into the session. The mouthfeel is nice at medium though at times, it feels more like light, and there's some oily slickness on the tongue. The carbonation is on the high end of light but that's working very nicely here. For an 8%abv brew, I think RR did well to hide it..probably because the flavours are too powerful for me to notice it. ;^) Man, this is one bitter brew! I'm halfway done with my glass and the malt can still only be called as having a "meek" role. Still, this one is and was all about the hops and in that, they've succeeded to the nth degree and I was just in the mood for a good, bitter DIPA but I don't think I could drink this on a regular basis as it's just palate "destroying". I think I prefer Blind Pig but that's just me...

dflb (84) - California, USA - DEC 6, 2017
UPDATED: DEC 6, 2017 Bought at Olive Ave. Market, I got lucky to leave with the last Pliny the Elder, a Double IPA brewed by Russian River Brewing Company. The scent of citrus is immediate as soon as your pour into a glass. Hops and a light honey sweetness is felt upon the mouthfeel. An alcohol content of 8% is sensible in the finish. The taste of grapefruit is powerful and gives a bitterness that matches, but balanced with the hop and pine body. The pine has a nice strength to go along with the grapefruit. The finish is slightly bitter as it wanes and yields a surprising watery finish at the same time. Pliny the Elder is an excellent Double IPA that lives up to the hype. The grapefruit, hops, and pine body are characteristic to the DIPA. The finish is outstanding: slightly bitter and watery. The water quality is exceptional and yields the honey complexion on the mouthfeel to go with the hops and grapefruit. The finish is what separates this beer apart from the other DIPAs on the market. Cheers. Prost. Drink for the love of beer. For more beer reviews, visit my blog “Drink For the Love of Beer.”

IAmTheThunder (1) - - DEC 6, 2017 does not count
UPDATED: DEC 6, 2017 The grandfather of modern hoppy brews. Even though it may not have the same “punch” as newer IPAs, it is a timeless example of what a classic IPA should strive to be. Its signature scent once you open a freshly brewed bottle is second to absolutely none. Taste is characteristically piney and resinous with a very elegant and well balanced finish. A must-have if you are a true hop aficionado.

SolarSam (119) - Interlaken, New York, USA - DEC 5, 2017
No comment needed. No comment needed. No comment needed. No comment needed. No comment needed. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

chadski (188) - California, USA - NOV 27, 2017
Feeling like I had overhyped this knowing the reputation and finally scoring a bottle. Nice lacing on the pour. Hop bitterness is forward in all aspects but is balanced. Good, but honestly prefer other DIPA's.

CraftBeerNick (3122) - London Town, Greater London, ENGLAND - NOV 21, 2017
Tap at Mohawk Bend, LA, 21st November 17. Pours hazy, small head, aroma is clean, citrus. Taste is so smooth, citrus, pine, lovely bitterness that builds and lingers. Worthy of the reputation and so easy to drink, especially in the Californian sun.

ronnie_c (1) - - NOV 21, 2017 does not count
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2018 Just an excellently balanced powerful west coast IPA. Could drink any day of the week.

thomat (4296) - Goteborg, SWEDEN - NOV 19, 2017
Bottle. Hazy golden with a medium white head. Malty and hoppy tones. Malt, fruit, hops and bitterness. Medium to full body with a long bitter / fruity finish.