overall
RATINGS: 2688   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "lupus Salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, humulus Lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncle’s legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pliny the Elder, the beer, is brewed with 40% more malt and over twice the amount of hops as compared to our already hoppy IPA.

want1DIPA's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
want1DIPA (227) - - MAY 11, 2013
Aroma-Not to overwhelming like most DIPA's. the traditional pine scent comes out very clean Appearance-Not a bright bold orange, but still a crisp orange brown reflection. Very pleasing to the eye. Taste-Simple mouthwatering perfection. If I could put this in a CamelBak and drink a liter a day, I would. What sets PTE apart is how smooth but subtlety intense it is. It's a toss up b/w PTE and Hopslam as the best readily available/bottled DIPA on the planet. With that said, I have Headytopper and Dreadnaught coming in this week. Palate-Like liquid velvet pine scented grapefruit. The 8% isn't even noticeable. My palate told me afterwards that he almost died from euphoria! Overall-it's PTE and about as perfect a beer can get! With that said, it's not my #1, but it's darn close. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone so go have a DIPA!

Kmeggs1 (22) - - JAN 18, 2018
I have heard about this beer for years . Finally I had the chance to get a few and I didn’t look back . By far the pinnacle of all IPA’s with huge pine and floral hops nestled in between malts leaving you wanting another taste. I was worried after all the hype that it would be a let down. The answer is Hell No , this is the reason they all talk about it , this is the reason it is worth the wait. This is the reason that Pliny is Pliny ! The best beer I’ve ever had. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

bobfohl () - San Jose, California, USA - JAN 17, 2018
A great legendary brew, the first double ipa, bought at the brewery, 5.50 a bottle. Very enjoyable, very clear, wished they would do an unfiltered version. Notes of citrus, pine, tropical flavors, very good..

YeastRespek10 (0) - - JAN 7, 2018 does not count
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2018 This beer randomly happened to be in our fridge at work. Was a fantastic surprise. I was unfamiliar with this sweet nectar until then. It is understandably in high demand.

La sentinelle (71) - Jinan, CHINA - JAN 7, 2018
Aroma-10/12 Appearance-3/3 Flavor-18/20 Mouthfe Impression-9/10 Total-45/50 风格:Double IPA 酒精度:8.0%vol 灌装日期:2017.10.11 饮用日期:2018.01.

Slick75 (28) - - JAN 6, 2018
This is an excellent beer. I'll start with the short comings but there aren't many. It pours with a poor head. The color is so light and clear, you're convinced that it's a domestic pilsner. The smell is very floral and the taste is so delicious. It is a smooth and very well-balanced IPA. Might be the most well-balanced IPA I've ever had. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

dukeandduke (311) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 1, 2018
12/19/17: $12 + tax and tip, 1 pint 1.25 oz bottle poured into a snifter at West 4th and Jane. Light blond clear pour, minimal head and carbonation. Strong pine aroma, hops, mixture of sweet and strong hops. One of the strongest aromas from a beer I have ever had. Hops and pine predominant tastes. Strong mouth feel, firm, dry pleasant drinking. Overall excellent beer, thanks David for the tip!

beerking1953 (26) - - DEC 31, 2017
Textbook example of great Beer. Would love to have this one any time of year.

Bill Becker (2008) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - DEC 20, 2017
From Aug 2008 I was only able to snag one bottle for myself; I'm sure it'll be easier to find in CO in the future. Let me preface this by saying that I've had samples of this brew at a few GABFs and along side Pliny The Younger, I thought this one played second fiddle. A nice medium gold in colour with a good 2 finger billowy head of foam. Good head retention as well as good lacing. The smell is massively hoppy. Lots of grapefruit and mango with other bitter fruit notes along with pine and..well..I don't perceive any malt presence at all but I *expected* that. The taste has all of the hop characters I mentioned in the smell with just the slightest "hint" of some malt. Maybe that will change as I get further into the session. The mouthfeel is nice at medium though at times, it feels more like light, and there's some oily slickness on the tongue. The carbonation is on the high end of light but that's working very nicely here. For an 8%abv brew, I think RR did well to hide it..probably because the flavours are too powerful for me to notice it. ;^) Man, this is one bitter brew! I'm halfway done with my glass and the malt can still only be called as having a "meek" role. Still, this one is and was all about the hops and in that, they've succeeded to the nth degree and I was just in the mood for a good, bitter DIPA but I don't think I could drink this on a regular basis as it's just palate "destroying". I think I prefer Blind Pig but that's just me...

dflb (66) - California, USA - DEC 6, 2017
UPDATED: DEC 6, 2017 Bought at Olive Ave. Market, I got lucky to leave with the last Pliny the Elder, a Double IPA brewed by Russian River Brewing Company. The scent of citrus is immediate as soon as your pour into a glass. Hops and a light honey sweetness is felt upon the mouthfeel. An alcohol content of 8% is sensible in the finish. The taste of grapefruit is powerful and gives a bitterness that matches, but balanced with the hop and pine body. The pine has a nice strength to go along with the grapefruit. The finish is slightly bitter as it wanes and yields a surprising watery finish at the same time. Pliny the Elder is an excellent Double IPA that lives up to the hype. The grapefruit, hops, and pine body are characteristic to the DIPA. The finish is outstanding: slightly bitter and watery. The water quality is exceptional and yields the honey complexion on the mouthfeel to go with the hops and grapefruit. The finish is what separates this beer apart from the other DIPAs on the market. Cheers. Prost. Drink for the love of beer. For more beer reviews, visit my blog “Drink For the Love of Beer.”

IAmTheThunder (1) - - DEC 6, 2017 does not count
UPDATED: DEC 6, 2017 The grandfather of modern hoppy brews. Even though it may not have the same “punch” as newer IPAs, it is a timeless example of what a classic IPA should strive to be. Its signature scent once you open a freshly brewed bottle is second to absolutely none. Taste is characteristically piney and resinous with a very elegant and well balanced finish. A must-have if you are a true hop aficionado.